Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Mad - Consider a Sleep Number bed. We got one several years ago and it was definately the way to go for us. We had tried several mattresses and we were never both satisfied. With the Sleep Number bed, he has his number at 45 and I have mine at 70-75. I like firm and he likes soft.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #47  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Carole sue, I would consider that if I could try one out. The hotels I have stayed in the last few years don't have them, and I don't know of anyone hear abouts who sells sleep number beds, I did a search last night. I like the idea of NOT having coil springs. We currently have a natura, ours is getting old. THe guest bed is also a natura that I bought for DD, but a different style, and is very comfy. I can get natura around here, in fact they are made fairly close to here. No coil springs. Good quality. SO I might just get a replacement mattress for ours.

FBS was a decent 5.4 today. I did have some high fat greek yogurt for a bedtime snack last evening. Also slept quite late, and felt quite good this morning. Its sunny but very cold today, I plan another ski with the dog today and will pick up DD in town later. Just housework and reading planned today, nothing special.
Its Sunday, be good to yourselves friends
Old 02-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #48  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Went to the Dr Today for my check up . Well I am doing good he has me taking some Mucinex Dm for all the Mucus in my throat Well my A1C is 6.1 my TRG levels are 193 he said they want them under 150 he suggested I take Fish oil caps . My daughter asked if I was still a diabetic and he said he would consider me as boarder line. I told her I still consider I am diabetic because I will always have to watch what I eat . But got all my refills and am reading to go for another 6 months.

I jest cant wait to get rid of this nasty cough I am praying it is soon. Well I better be going I have so much I need to get done here. More later...
Old 02-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #49  
Madeleine

BOnnie: how long have you had the cough? Any chance its whooping cough? Sometimes puffers help more than cough syrups. I don't find anything but codeine helps for coughing personally, and of course I keep it to a minimum. I actually get plain codeine tablets, since I don't want all the sugar in the cough syrup.
Hope you feel better soon, it can be really exhausting to be coughing so much.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Quick flyby to say have a great day. Headed out for DH surgery this afternoon. Will be back either tomorrow or Wednesday not sure yet. My Pastor called yesterday and told DH that he would be there when he goes in to surgery and when he comes out. We are so blessed to have such a wonderful Pastor. He is the greatest... lives what he preaches.

Be back soon.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #51  

Trish - Prayers for your DH for a good surgery and speedy recovery.

Mad - We have a sleep number store at our local mall and just wandered in there one day. Several people had recommended the beds. You can take the bed for 30 days with a complete refund if not satisfied, but if you do that, you have to make sure your keep your old bed in case you send the sleep number bed back. My step-son slept in one in a hotel and didn't like it. It took us a week or so to get used to it, so I think in a couple days, he didn't have enough time to find his nitch. I hope you find something you like. Restful sleep is so important! I have never heard of Natura.

Bonnie - I always have congestion in my throat. I think it is from post-nasal drip. I can't take anything with a D because of my blood pressure, but I'm tempted to try it anyway to see if it helps.

Mad - I have had a chronic cough for about 15 years. I have been checked for so many things.....my PCP has tried just about every inhaler on the market, nasal sprays, I went to an ENT because I had bad larengitis that lasted a month and he said he could see signs of acid reflux. I went and had a scope done and was diagnosed with a bad hiatal hernia. I was put on Nexium and the doctor guaranteed that by the time I finished the rx the cough would be gone. Didn't work. Then I had to quit taking the Nexium because I got a stent and was taking Plavix, and they don't mix. I am at the point where I just accept that I have this cough. It gets worse and just "different" when I have a cold, and after the cold is gone it goes back to the usual chronic cough. During flu season, people run away from me, LOL but I can't explain to them that I am not contageous. The only time the cough went away was after surgery and I was put on Darvocet, which is off the market now. Other narcotic pain meds don't effect it. But I couldn't be on them long term anyway. One time when my PCP was on vacation, I saw the PA in his office. She told me that my uvula hangs down lower than most people's and it could be causing an irritation that makes me cough. That is probably very possible.

I have been working toward eliminating starchy carbs from my diet. I did very well yesterday. As a result, I lost a pound, and my FBS was 127. Compared to the 160-180 I have been having the past several months, that is an excellent improvement! I am hoping I can get it below 100 eventually, and will gladly accept any weight loss that comes with it.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #52  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Good Morning No Not whopping cough it is jest when I get bronchitis I get it bad . This hit me real quick I have had it two weeks now this is the second antibiotic they had me on. Hopefully it will get better soon. I am doing pretty good right now Although I have told all the kids their will be sandwiches tonight cause I am tired of doing the dishes. His aunt has jest stopped doing everything. She will pull the vacuum out and leave it in the middle of the living room and wait for someone to do it. So I give up.
Good news is my 23 year old is moving in with his girlfriend he jest hasn't told me when yet. My 18 year old has been talking about moving in with her boy friend he is real good to her . He has made her a better person since they have been together.

I have talking to my 15 year old about going walking with me in the evening when she gets home from school . She isn't overweight but she has been getting into working out and eating better. Well I guess I better be going I will be back later ...Hope all is having a wonderful day!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:25 AM   #53  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Fly-by post. Still stuck at around 190 - maybe that's me new set-point? I suspect that a couple of glasses of wine with dinner may be the culprit. FBGL is fine though.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #54  
Madeleine

FYI to our friends: I was over on Consumer reports just now, (checking mattresses of course) and went over to glucometers. The article has improved since the last time I looked, and now includes accuracy testing.
For those who want to know, the relion from walmart, by far the lowest priced for use (costs included testing 4 times a day for a year) is just as good as accucheck, one touch etc. all the high end ones are no better. I may switch over in fact, as I don't have mine covered by insurance. I only test 2-3 times a week, but we also use them at work, so we might all switch over over time.
I was glad to see someone somewhere finally make comparisons of accuracy.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #55  

We are home. Surgery went very well... no complications. His hand and lower part of left arm did swon ell because of IV, but they caught it and removed needle and put ice pack on it. Swelling was way done although not exactly normal by this morning. He was so swollen after surgery from solution they had a hard time changing to left arm getting a vein. I figure it was the swelling because they never have problems getting his. I'm the one they have to poke around on sometimes. The nurse last night was on top of everything to the point that he only had to ask for pain meds twice and when he finally went to sleep I asked her not to wake him to give him one when she brought it in this morning. Just super care. I was so impressed.

Well, back to getting myself straightened out while DH recovers. I felt so bad and had difficulty walking very far. Surgery didn't take long once they got to it, but had long wait cause we got there early and then he was in recovery for hours. So I set with legs down so swelling was bad. I was so blessed that the waiting room lady helped me take my stuff up to the room. I was very upset with the way I felt. I was also blessed that they brought me a cot which was actually a roll-a-way bed so I was able to take DH blanket and roll it up to use to prop my legs up and rolled up a towel to put under my neck so at least I didn't lose too much ground on that. Very carby foods yesterday. I had a small spinach salad for lunch, but last night the only thing that was meat and veggies were too sweet and salty for me which didn't help with the retention. Got up this morning and went down and had eggs and bacon so I am pleased to say that I've been OP except I should have had more veggies but just no energy to fix them.

Madeleine Thanks for the info on the Walmart Relion meter. I just bought one for DH for when his strips run out on his One Touch. His cost over sixty dollars and we're not paying that when Relion has them so much cheaper. Good to know they are pretty accurate.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 171/142/140

Height: 5'3"

Hello everyone its high time I introduce myself appropriately...

I'm a 44 yr old insulin dependent diabetic. Take it 1x a day, and since Dec. 2011 I'm down about 30 pounds, just a couple pounds from goal. Its been a painfully slow process, but I feel good and my A1C is much much better. I calorie count and try to work out a few times a week.

I find diabetes really makes weight loss a challenge, that my non diabetic friends just do not fully understand. I feel good that I've stuck with it, especially after those days where you eat too much and just want to finish the pizza! LOL My habits are improved, and I have learned alot.

I've mostly trolled these threads, but I think as I start moving into the maintenance phase of my journey, I've learned a ton that I can share, and I've got a great set of shoulders to lean on, to support all of you on your journeys, too. Thanks for listening, and for letting me listen to all of you during this time!!!!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #57  
Madeleine

JJM: welcome and thanks for your post. I am full of knowledge, but have not been very successful with weight loss, but have kept my sugars stable. I am just on metformin, and as long as I eat fairly low carb, I do very well.
Enjoy our group.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:10 AM   #58  

Jonjaxmom WELCOME. Glad to have you with us.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #59  

During a period when I didn't have insurance I was using an Up & Up meter and strips from Target. Very inexpensive and probably the same as Walmart's Relion. Afer I got insurance I started back with One Touch, but this year I will have a copay, so I am thinking of going back to using the UP & UP. The only problem is I can't get any control solution. It is Wavesense and WalMart said they would order it for me, but I passed on that to see if I could find it somewhere, which I didn't. I can order it online. It's $4.95 but shipping is $5.99. I may go back and have WalMart order it. I'm wondering how much I would have to buy. Surely they aren't going to order just 1 bottle.

Do I really NEED control solution?

The results on my Target meter are within 10 points or less from my One Touch.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-22-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #60  

Quick flyby. Have a great weekend. I know a lot of you are having more snow. Stay safe and warm.
Closed Thread