3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Diabetes Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support-203/)
-   -   Diabetes Chat for May (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/258108-diabetes-chat-may.html)

Wannabehealthy 05-26-2012 07:14 AM

Diabetes Meds

Is anyone here on Precose or Acarbose? I just heard of them recently and I don't recall anyone saying they took them. I'm wondering how they work, are they effective, are they safe? Hmmmmm? Anyone have any experience?

fatmad 05-26-2012 02:04 PM

Good day everyone:
fighting a headache and some nausea today, I realized I had somehow managed to take an extra metformin with my irregular schedule and am paying the price. Feeling a little "hungover" from lack of sleep, so have been napping a bit. Planning to get out and work in the garden in a bit, so I will have some fresh air and exercise, always good.
Trish: so glad DD and family made the effort to contribute, a little goes a long way to help and it really means something to you. I am feeling pretty good about the relationship with my own DD who is doing well at school and we are getting along much better now she is out of the house. DOn't know how we would manage if she moved back, although when she is here for a few days she is better than she ever was before. I hope as your DD gets used to the challenges of school things will keep getting better for you all too.
Simn11: how are you doing with the acarbose? It prevents the digestion of some carbs, are is known for flatulence (don't know if its worse than metformin for that). It would seem that community practice affects what docs choose as a first line med for type2 diagnosis. Acarbose is quite safe, although you have to take straight glucose or orange juice for carbs if you get hypoglycemic and other foods won't work, their digestion is impaired by the drug. Should help with weight loss. (that alone sounds good eh?)
Rie: hope the knees are ok with walkitout. take care everyone.

johnnysgirl668 05-26-2012 05:26 PM

It has been a stressful week. And although my diet was good until today, I have managed somehow to put 3 lbs back on. :mad: DH is sure that it is the stress, and even if I were only eating celery the hormones triggered by the stress would still have added weight.

So today I said _____ it! It was a naughty food day. And I feel 100% better. My shoulders aren't in pain, and I'm not ready to rip everyones' throats out.

Tomorrow's another day girls. Happy long weekend to my USA friends.

love2b150 05-26-2012 11:01 PM

Hello Everyone :wave: I have been reading your thread and commenting on another and was invited here by Rie (thank you). I also posted on the the getting to know you profiles thread. I have been borderline for years, having gestational diabetes with my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies, controlled by diet. Then with my 4th I did one insulin shot before bed and with my 5th pregnancy I did one in the morning and one before bed. I was diagnosed on 5/14 with type 2 diabetes with an A1c of 10.4 and put on 1000mg of Metformin twice a day. I find that about an hour after I take it I am really sleepy. I also have gas and the last two days a little nausea. I have been told that it takes a couple of weeks for me to see its affects and for the side effects to hopefully go away. My fastings are 198-202 not good at all I know. Today was a horrible day food wise nothing OP. We went to a family gathering and there was nothing there for me to eat, so of course I came and ate what I shouldn't have, a white rice, chicken and cream of chicken soup casserole that was leftover (I had fixed this for my family). I am not expecting my fasting to even be in the range that it has been tomorrow. I have been on the sticky thread to get some ideas of what I need to buy/snack on/eat and I know it's all about preparation/preparedness. I look forward to learning all that I can from all of you ... hoping that my fbs will soon look as great as YOURS :)

fatmad 05-27-2012 11:15 AM

Love2B150: we spend a lot of time talking about how to handle meals out and potlucks, family gatherings etc. So your issue is familiar. Sometimes you just do what you do, and watch the portions as best you can, and eat something lower carb when you get home. Other times, taking something you can eat really helps. I often take healthy green salads with low fat feta cheese, so that I can eat lightly from the other dishes and have a huge bowl of salad with no guilt.
Weight up a bit today, no real reason for it, but will be active again today with laundry, housework, and more garden work. Hope you all have a lovely Sunday.

pattygirl63 05-27-2012 11:40 AM

Love2B150 - :welcome3:

I'm still around. I've mostly become a lurker as I'm staying busy. Trying to get away from being on pc all the time. So while I'm not saying much, I do check and read.

Everybody have a great weekend and USA folks have a great Holiday.

Butterfly50 05-27-2012 02:35 PM

love2b150 :welcome:

Things here are going good for me. I went on a plus mile yesterday around the neighborhood and it felt pretty good when I was done. Doing the best I can till I can get to the store next week and buy Groceries .

Anyone know where their is a good website that I can get some workout for my underarms they are looking terrible ???

I hope everyone has a good memorial day And Don't eat too much.. Check back later ..

Wannabehealthy 05-27-2012 03:20 PM

Fatmad - I am not taking Acarbose, I was just curious about it since I read about it somewhere and had never heard of it before. I have problems limiting my carbs and thought it might help. I have had problems with flatulance and already take Beano for that. It really does help, as long as I remember to take it. I guess I don't want to take Acarbose if there's problems with lows because I don't have that with Metformin and I don't want to have to worry about that.

Thanks for the info.

love2b150 05-27-2012 05:04 PM

Hello Everyone fbg was really high this a.m. 234.

I am going to start (again) faithfully logging my food into MFP so that I know what I am doing carb wise.

Madeleine thanks again for the take with me salad greens tip and I love feta cheese, so I believe I can do that. :) Thanks goodness we don't go out to eat at much, it's very rare. So no worries there, my worries are in here. I have a family that loves to snack and bake and the temptation is all around constantly.

Trish and Bonnie thanks for the welcome :)

Butterfly50 05-27-2012 11:05 PM

Doing good here I did a 3 mile walk around the neighbor hood tonight.. Feeling good!!!

Ruthxxx 05-28-2012 06:45 AM

Quick check-in. BGL OK at 4.4 and weight is going down - 183.6 from a high of 186 on Thursday morning. I've been drinking water and really watching carbs!

Moni28 05-28-2012 02:36 PM

Welcome love2b150!

Hi Ladies! Hope you are all enjoyed the weekend! I ran out of test strips so I have not been able to test my sugar. I should be getting some more this week. I've been keeping myself busy but packing up my apt. Last day of class is Thursday and my honey arrives on wed. I'm really excited but yet also a little nervous. The boyfriend is a bigger guy who does love to eat and sometimes it feels like that is all we do when we are together! I'm a bit nervous that if we can't control this i'll..no rather, we will balloon up! ah!

I've noticed the past week or so that my appetite has declined. This is not usual for me as the spring turns to summer and the weather gets warmer. It's pretty nice in Seattle these days but soon I"ll be facing the hot valley California weather! Lastly, a small victory...i'm down another pound.

Fatmad--hope your feeling better!

Johnnysgirl--stress is stressful! Sorry about the 3 pounds. what type of things do you like to do to manage your stress?

Take care everyone!

fatmad 05-28-2012 09:25 PM

Hi everyone, had a really good day. Starting early with hospital rounds, busy work day but got home for a good lunch. Ate a reasonable afternoon snack and got to yoga this evening. So happy to get to yoga again. DH has been making me do yard work and shovelling topsoil and mulch so too busy to get to yoga. It felt great tho. Had a bug salad when I got home. Still have a few points left today.
Only problem is some hives coming back tonight. HOpe its not a trend again.
Have a good day chickies, I'm off to bed soon, the antihistamines are making me sleepy.

Riemontana 05-29-2012 09:54 AM

Hello Everyone!

fbs at 80 this morning and my weight is still higher than I can believe. It is weight training day and I did 30 minutes this morning. After my camping trip was cancelled, I spent the weekend in activities with friends and family. Now that the work week is here, it is a bright and shining morning. :dizzy:

Mad, remember that all that yard work is exercise - with a bonus of a beautiful yard for the summer. :) Um, what is a "bug salad? :?:

Moni, I hope that you can get some strips soon. I am sure that you boyfriend will want to support you in controlling your diabetes. How nice that you will be together again!

Ruth, really good numbers! Your weight will come down soon.

Bonnie, it's all about the movement, right? For me, everything gets better if I stick to working out.

Love2b, logging your food is a really good way to figure out what is happening. It also helps to determine how your body reacts to specific carbs. Some folks can do oatmeal, some can't because of bs spikes. I can only eat some fruits but not others, potatoes but not rice, etc. Having a record of what you eat with testing results will help you to learn about your own reaction to various foods. It will really help with your confidence as time goes on.

Trish, I hope you had a good weekend.

Off to face the week!

Rie

pattygirl63 05-29-2012 12:00 PM

I couldn't sleep Saturday night. I've had quite a bit of swelling ankles... know the problem was too much salty foods. Weight was up a few days, but seems to be back down. I took one of hubby's sleeping pills forgetting that I usually only take 1/2 of CTC pills and I was out of it all weekend, but I must say I got some much needed sleep and rest. DD made hamburgers for Memorial Day and I fried up some french fries. I wasn't much help or company, but I did participate and then went back to bed for a bit. I think they are playing some games, but I wasn't with it so not sure. Something did happen Saturday night and DH said he was joking, but I got mad and told him that as soon as I could decide how and where I could go that I was leaving. I was sick and I was not in the mood for any more crap. I can't go to the doc right now because I can't figure out when I can go time wise and how I can pay for it with the way they all waste utilities. They seem to think because they gave us $1500 dollars for being here for one year + (they won't have any way to give more) to live here (and don't get me wrong I am thankful they did give that) they seem to think they can just go back to leaving lights on, leave doors and windows open with AC running etc. I not only can see why their utilities were constantly turned off and why their house was not worth saving. They are wasteful and don't take care of anything. Oh well, I'm not going to worry about it. I told Tony that if he isn't willing to say anything to them... then I don't want to hear him gripe about it to me any more. I will pay the bills as far as I can and when things get turned off or they tear the house up, then it will be his problem not mine.

One thing that did change is that he got up and helped me turn our mattress and change the sheets on the bed. He vaccumed our part of the house last night. He did apologize to me for the way he has been. I think he knows that I am thoroughly tired of all the crap and I'm not taking it any more. I'm just seeing some things I hadn't noticed before and I am not really sure it is worth staying in the middle of it. I married him and I took care of his sick Mother also at the same time I babysat the youngest grandaughter. Now I'm the one taking care of the grandson. I'm not sure I would mind except I'm never asked... it is just assumed that I will. And all the while they are wasting my money and tearing up my house. Just not absolutely sure it is worth it. I really haven't decided what I am going to do.

On a lighter note. This is kind of funny. DH has always talked about how his 1st wife had so many problems and even died from complications because of diabetes... black toes and amputations for example. Well, I bought some new houseshoes with black fuzzy lining. It caused my big toenails to turn blackish on the end of the toenail. Scared the crap out of me.:dizzy: Plus I had hit my toes with a refrigerator door at Aldi's last week so had been watching for bruising which I found that I do have minimal amount on the middle toe on the right foot. I thoroughly washed and cleaned my feet to see if was the shoe or what. LOL Well, it did wash off except for the very small amount of bruising and the die that is on the toenail edge. It did cause me remember the reason Mad says she wants to keep taking Metformin and I decided to get back on it to see how it goes. I've been off of it and the Fenofibrate for quite some time now. I've taken 1000 mg 2 or 3 nights and so far no leg cramps. Since I've even stopped the Fenofibrate I realized that it could have been the cause of the cramps or even taking the 2 together could have caused it. So far so good. I really do want the protection of the Metformin. I've also taken most of the salt out of my diet as much as I possibly can. And while I'm not doing Atkin's low carb, I am eating less carbs.

I take Niacin and doc has DH take fish oil so I take it also to protect me from high cholesterol. I will be getting the Red Wheat Rice today to add to that as well. I read when hubby was going through so much that it was not safe to take Niacin with Warfarin, but I did check and find that the Red Wheat Rice seems to be safe with Warfarin. We both took the rice pills years ago and can't remember why we stopped it. He is having what he calls phantom pains in his muscles which is probably caused by the Fenofibrate. I've heard such bad things about that pill. He is starting to feel some of the things he felt before again and I think he needs to get off of it too.

Went to the health food store the other day and just looking through the books and found a book Digestive Wellness so hopefully I can find a way to get our digestion healthy again.

Sorry, I intended this to be a quick flyby, but turned into more. I will make an appt and go back to my doc in a few weeks.

Busy week. Oldest grandaughter graduate from Middle school tomorrow. 18 yr old grandson graduates from HS Saturday afternoon. He doesn't plan to work. He is making a trip in July to FL to see his Daddy's family there. So will be interesting summer. Y'all have a great week.