Old 08-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #1  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default If I were a diabetes educator:

OK. We have mostly all been through a session with diagnosis and education, what do you think is or would have been important for you to hear?

I I were a diabetes educator:

I would focus on the positive. Each client is a good person, and is "worth it" and doesn't need lecturing or punishing. I would focus on helping them be a good combination of happy and healthy. Being "good" is not the goal. Having good control of sugars, and life is the goal.
It is the job of the educator and dietitian to help each person find a healthful way of eating, that s/he can do. There is no sense in prescribing diets people can't stick to. There is no sense only educating one person, but a couple, even a family needs to learn about diabetes so we can all help the person who has just been diagnosed.

what did your educator say/do that was really good?
( I am sure they did some not great things, but I would like to focus on the positives)
What would you say/do to help others?
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Fatmad, first, I LOVE this thread!

My educator was really good. Like the rest of the people in the office, she was really kind. Here are the things that I would say:

1. This is NOT a punishment for being fat.

2. It is not the end of your life, it is the beginning of a healthier you.

3. The fear and confusion you feel now will go away and you will feel more in control of your health and your body than you ever have.

4. Here are general guidelines for eating: You will need to experiment and learn how YOUR body reacts.

5. bs control takes some time. Stay with it and be patient.

6. Start with small amounts of excercise and build up. Try to do something every day.

7. write down what you eat, bs levels, and excercise. You will be able to learn and you will be able to see progress on the days when you are losing hope. It will help you stay on track and give you confidence.

8. Tell the people who are closest to you. But, wait, before you tell lots of people. It isn't anything to be ashamed of, but diabetes is one of the only disorders that everyone seems to have an opinion. Until you are more confident, avoid all the advice.

9. Most important: You are not a diabetic. You are a Person with Diabetes.

To family members and friends: Learn with your loved one. Be supportive, interested and encouraging. Try to live the lifestyle with them. But, let them control themselves.
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 241/230/190

Height: 5'7"

My educator was a strict, by the book, teach only what the ADA preaches, educator. It was so frustrating because no matter what I did my BGS levels would not drop to where I wanted and knew they should be. I suffer from dawn phenomena and she did not want to hear that. The answer was to eat at night, period.

I think the best thing would be to recognize that everyone is very different. I have a severe reaction to carbohydrates, my levels shoot thru the roof so I have to stay low carb. Thank heaven for Dr Bernstein, I might be dead or very sick without him.
LynnDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #4  
You can DOOO IT!

S/C/G: 223/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'6"

Rie - LOVE your number 4!! And definitely agree with number 8. People look scared when I tell them, even after a decade of having it!
misstraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #5  

LynnDu: Keep doing what you need to do for you. The only one who truly know how food reacts in your body is you. With that said, we all need to know the science behind it ..to a certain degree. I think reimontana made some really good points. It is just a matter of putting it all together for you.
Have you ever tried eating the sweet treat you want with protein? Or a high fiber? It will help slow down the absorption in our body. For example: for a chocolate fix I squirt it over almonds.

crush sugar
crush sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #6  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

based on Rie's story, I would add that a diabetes educator needs to spend time listening and encouraging, and hearing what the client has to say. There will need to one on one time, as well as group education, so that each client feels like they matter, and than someone cares about what happens to her/him.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:37 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 288/188/130

Height: 5" 5'

If I were a Diabetes Educator I would:
* treat the person as an individual and not an inconvienience
* never tell someone newly diagnosed the "horror stories" and expect that to persuade them to not eat chocolate
* find a way to work with the person and not alienate them
* try and treat holistically and not just the symptoms by throwing more and more medication at them and hope that it will lower blood sugars
JingerBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:59 AM   #8  

I know what I wouldnt say

I had a diabetes nurse I had just lost 50 pounds and she told me to cut supper to lose more weight quicker. i did that and shock horror went low. It irritated me as she down played my success. Yes i have another 40 pounds to go. But 50 pounds is alot well to me anyway.

She was the never been overweight type.
rogersgrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/190

Height: 5'9"

I like seeing some of the replies here. I am recently diagnosed, & because of insurance reasons, I'm not seeing the Diabetes Educator/dietician until January. This month it'll be me on my own, doing lots of research.

Beth
bcort is offline   Reply With Quote