Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

At a flea market I recently bought a book titled "The Common Sense Guide to Weight Loss for People With Diabetes." Actually, when I bought it, I didn't see the "for people with Diabetes" which is in smaller letters and thought it was just "The Common Sense Guide to Weight Loss." It is not a new book. It's from 1998 and put out by the ADA. I have not read the whole thing yet, but have been flipping around to various chapters that I found interesting. It is wonderful! It does not contain any magic formulas, just the cold hard facts. It covers every aspect of diabetes, answers every question you have ever asked or wondered about. It explains WHY we should do things, such as keep meals at the same size and frequency, why and how much we should exercise and the effect it has on your glucose etc. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is struggling with losing like I am. Although this is an old book, Amazon has used copies online for just a few dollars if anyone is interested.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #92  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

I am not gonna workout today but hope to get my walk in may have to walk slower. my hip is killing me Its not actually my hip it is like my hip but go toward my butt and it is hurting. I had this problem when I was working out before and now it is back again. The doc said last time it was a muscle so I hope it stops. If it becomes a problem I will be heading to the doc.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello All

fbs at 81 again this morning. I lifted weights and then did a yoga video for 30 minutes. Wow, my arms were tired at the end but I felt good.

I am happy to report that my monthly weigh in today showed me another 2# drop this month. Given that I had some treats, camping, etc, I am pleased. My monthly measurements also show a 1" loss straight through the middle: bust, waist, belly, hips. I really feel pleased because I feel like I can eat this way for ever - not just until I reach "goal".

Bonnie, I hope your back gets better. Be sure to take ibutabs or other anti-inflamatory.

Ruth, that book sounds good. I will go look for it.

Carol, hopefully your reaction was not from the metformin. I consider the (once or twice a month) glass of wine to be a pleasure.

Jinger, 25 mins of working out is good. Baby steps.....

Floriduh, Fatmad and others, hope you are having a good day.

Rie
Old 09-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #94  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Still no more major low readings so I guess the glyburide was the culprit. I'm just plugging along with now eight loss but am eating properly with limited wine. My husband expected wine with every meal except breakfast and it's a hard habit to ditch completely. He's been gone nearly three years but must still be around.

I'm loaded with tomatoes and am slicing them and drying them in my dehydrator. They work well as scoops for hummus and other dips. I have red, orange and yellow slices done and they look really pretty.

This morning I had a shinny bagel (170 calories) with Laughing Cow Cheese, chopped dried tomatoes and fresh basil - a yummy breakfast!
Old 09-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 288/188/130

Height: 5" 5'

Carol Sue just bought that book off amazon can't wait for it to arrive

Bonnie you might have DOMS - delayed onset muscular soreness. You've been working out really hard so you get s build up of lactic acid in muscles. The only way I know of to get rid of it is to repeat the same exercise at a lower intensity. Or wait for a couple of days. It's because you're making your muscles work. That's a good thing

Rie congrats on the 2 lbs things are really moving in the right direction.

I'm hoping to visit USA next summer. I'm dying to spend my 40th birthday in Florida at magic kingdom my most favourite place in the world. Gotta keep saving the pennies first though

Last edited by JingerBird; 09-14-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #96  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmn11 View Post
Rie, after we talked about the wine a few days ago, I tried some in a glass of diet ginger ale. I got hot and my face turned all red. I remember having that same reaction a few months ago when I had some alcohol. I am blaming it on a reaction to my medications, although I take so many I don't know which one is doing it. The Metformin is the only one that say "no alcohol" on the bottle. I will probably try it again to see if it's really a reaction or if it was a coincidence. I don't think my blood sugar went down, but I really had more ginger ale than wine.
Many people have drinks with metformin, so I am not sure why yours says not to drink. It is not recommended for heavy drinkers, but occasional social drinking does not seem to be contraindicated on most drug monographs.
however, the red face is similar to a reaction to sulphites that lots of people get. Almost all wines have sulphites, and red wines have more, so lots of folks can't drink wine as a result. Does the same thing happen with vodka or other grain alcohols?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly50 View Post
I am not gonna workout today but hope to get my walk in may have to walk slower. my hip is killing me Its not actually my hip it is like my hip but go toward my butt and it is hurting. I had this problem when I was working out before and now it is back again. The doc said last time it was a muscle so I hope it stops. If it becomes a problem I will be heading to the doc.
sciatic nerve pain is similar, you can read about it and decide if its worth trying things that help, (many none medical). hope you feel better soon!

haven't figured out how to quote multiple posts and do one response, so sorry for multiple posts. Rie, I am so happy for you, sugars getting in line and weight and inch losses! That is awesome.
I had a day off call yesterday and took my Lilia and her mama out for lunch and a play. Then a good yoga class, a trip to my friendly chiropractor, (headaches are getting better, but low back still having some trouble) and then to the spa for manicure and pedicure. Finally after a light supper, went to the pub for a musical jam and sing along. All fun, and home early enough for a little romance with my true love DH.
What a nice treat! AND best of all, stayed on plan for eating. I was treating myself so well, didn't feel the need for sweets or food treats. Sugars are great, weight stable, and all well.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:43 AM   #97  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Mad, I merged your posts. I hate to admit this but I don't know how to do multiple quotes either. I must have been sick the day we took that in MOD Class!

Another morning with a 5.4 reading after no meds at all yesterday - I forgot to refill my dosette. My ticker is fibbing a bit though. I've been "snacking" too much on dried peaches and tomatoes. Eight dried peach slices = a whole peach and a friend and I nibbled our way through a lot of peaches last night. There will be lots of water on the menu today and super clean eating.

Happy Thursday!
Old 09-15-2011, 08:16 AM   #98  
Bonnie

I did take me a anti flamatory hip is feeling better I am gonna try and do my workout after the bug man comes and sprays my house. ( I dont have bugs . Landlord does it as a precaution) So I will be back later my fb was 116 this morning I have noticed that my numbers are going lower!!! Does that mean I am doing something Right?? Several times last week it was in the 90's .
Old 09-15-2011, 09:15 AM   #99  

Good Morning!

I am nursing chills, fever and cold symptoms this morning. Fbs at 78 and I ate my favorite apple and peanut butter. I hope to do a light workout later if my fever goes down.

Bonnie, Of Course you are doing things right! It is a cause to celebrate. Your numbers will continue to come down and stay there. I can't wait to see your progress as time goes on.

Fatmad, I think you had the perfect, lovely day! Good for you.

Ruth, I am happy that you are getting to the bottom of the bs issues. I envy you the fruit - I just can't seem to tolerate much without bs rising. I am hoping that I will be able to eat more fruit and healthy carbs when I lose more weight.

Jinger, a birthday trip to the Magical Kingdom sounds wonderful! I want to take my grandkids there but want to wait till they are older.

Carol, I am wondering also if that was a wine or alchohol reaction? I guess if we need to experiment, this could be fun, Huh?

Sorry for anyone that I missed. Need to hunker down in my blankie now.

Rie
Old 09-15-2011, 09:17 AM   #100  

Bonnie, you are doing everything right! Your diet and exercise is bringing those numbers down. Keep up the good work. Your doctor must be very pleased!

Fatmad, The wine I drank is wine I have been drinking for years and never had that effect. I do get hot and flushing from White Zifendel, and I also got it from Miller beer. But this was Reunite Lambrusco, and I always have that in the house. It was mixed with diet ginger ale so it was actually diluted. I am going to try it again sometime to see if I get the same reaction. The only other alcohol I drink is rum and coke, and I haven't had that for over a year. I don't usually drink at home, just an occasional drink socially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Still no more major low readings so I guess the glyburide was the culprit. I'm just plugging along with now eight loss but am eating properly with limited wine. My husband expected wine with every meal except breakfast and it's a hard habit to ditch completely. He's been gone nearly three years but must still be around.

I'm loaded with tomatoes and am slicing them and drying them in my dehydrator. They work well as scoops for hummus and other dips. I have red, orange and yellow slices done and they look really pretty.

This morning I had a shinny bagel (170 calories) with Laughing Cow Cheese, chopped dried tomatoes and fresh basil - a yummy breakfast!
Ruth, I bought a dehydrator at a flea market but have never used it. I bought it because my step-son was using his to make jerky and I was going to try it, but once I put it away I never got it out again. I will have to get it out and try doing something with it. I never thought of drying tomatoes. How long does it take?

Rie, I cannot do fruit either. I do eat a small banana once in a while and I find I can do canned pears packed in juice.

Yes, experimenting with the wine could be fun, as long as I don't get carried away. I have a bad habit of taking things to excess. If I start posting irradically, let me know! LOL

I have a question for those of you who have been diabetic for a while and know more about it than I do. Lately, I have been sneaking too many carbs into my diet and my reading have been too high. I know what I can and can't eat. Yesterday, I decided to get back in control. I had scrambled eggs for breakfast and for lunch I had a piece of baked fish and broccoli left over from dinner the night before. I checked my bs every couple hours and it kept coming down about 20 points each time. Then I started to get shaky and feel weak. I thought I was having a low, but I checked and it was 127. That is lower than I usually am during the day, but not really low. I sucked on a piece of hard candy for a few minutes and then I felt better. Is it possible that my body reacted that way because it's not used to being that low? Oh, and I also got back to exercise yesterday and did about 40 minutes on the treadmill and elliptical. I know that exercise effects the BS too. I would like to get my BS back to normal ranges with diet and exercise, rather than changing or increasing my meds.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #101  

Well, Carol, I have only been at this for a year. Here is my experience, though:

I tend to get "symptoms" when my bs is swinging. Either up or down dramatically. I generally never test over 105, even after meals unless I eat something that will send me up, I am sick, or excercising. I think the whole idea is to try to stop the swings either way. BTW, I find the actual LOW feelings to be much more pronounced than the other shakes, etc. Something interesting, from my dr, is that folks like us who have been "medicating" with food for a long time - expecially high carb/sugar stuff, actually get to "Jonesing" for carbs. This is the experience of other kinds of addicts who are stopping - their body creates anxiety symptoms to get them to indulge again. Just a thought, but anxiety symptoms feel like bs symptoms. Hang in there.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #102  

S/C/G: 288/188/130

Height: 5" 5'

Bonnie. You must be so pleased that your bs is coming down I know I get normal readings after I exercise. They slowly go back up though. Even 10% weight loss has a great effect on bs.

Carol. I often feel funny when my bs swing. I was told that if your bs starts to get low, sugar is dumped into blood to use for energy. Us diabectes can't control our sugar so rather than it being continuous like non diabetics, we end up with lots. That's what makes me feel funny. Hope that makes sense and I'm not waffling too much. I find that I have to eat often especially when exercising. That stops the big drops and then big rises.

Rie. Hope you feel better soon. I couldn't even think about exercise when I'm not feeling well.

Ruth. Glad you're starting to sort things out. I might try a glass of wine at the weekend but the calories in wine worry me a bit and if I started with a glass I will probably finish the bottle.

40 mins on the cross trainer tonight back up to normal time shoulder seems to be getting better. Pretty bad day though overall. Why is it when work had been crap, the family act up when you get home? Maybe it's just me. Can't wait for bedtime X
Old 09-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #103  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I get symptoms of lows too when I am dropping quickly. Usually after something that raises my sugar dramatically and it is falling dramatically, if I test several times over the hour or two, you can see it falling fast.
Just a hello, am reading everything and and so happy, to see good things happening for folks. Butterfly, I am thrilled to see the weight loss and sugars stabilizing. good for you!
back to bed after an all nighter.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #104  

Thank you all for the replies. It sounds as though I went from over eating carbs to strictly limiting them, causing my BS to drop too quickly. I probably should have had a small amount of carb with each meal to bring the bs down gradually. This morning I ate 1/2 piece of toast with my egg beaters, so that should help.

Rie, I am amazed at how controlled your BS is. I would be happy to ever have a reading of 105, even in the AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:07 PM   #105  
Bonnie

Thanks Everyone. I didn't get to work out yesturday the Bug man was a hour late and then I ate me some late lunch and by the daughter invited a friend over and I was gonna work out in front of a audience. Then Hubby and son come home and we had t go to other daughter open house and then went to walmart where hubby deicided he was gonna get me my new Phone . So had a busy day.
Hip is doing ok I am gonna go walking here after dinner we have a cool front in here the days are gonna be in the 70's. But still waiting on the web to be activated on my phone so I can check out the apps and stuff.
I lost another 2 pounds this week Yeah I wore a pair of jeans the other day and they werent snug they were actually comfortable. I was glad to wear them.....
Closed Thread