Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #106  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

kjsspot with the hubby it is something we have discussed before he has these issues sometime that he gets to feeling rel bad and then i make him eat something sweet and he starts to feel better. He is very stuborn and wont go to the doctor. when he gets like that again I am gonna test and see where he is at. I am jest glad that they are starting school. Expecially the 16 year old she is the one that stresses me out the most.

pattygirl63 my insurance will pay up to 150 permonth and no more.The doc ordered me for 100 so if they change it i will have them He said to only do it once before breakfast and then before dinner. The company is sending me 10 free strips so I may do a little experminting with them. Them little strips I have cost 130.00 for 100 strips. I will have to see what I can do. I am about to go crazy.........
Old 08-13-2011, 08:01 PM   #107  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hi all,

I had a relaxing day with a couple of glasses of wine and some good grilled steak.

Bonnie, sometimes the meter company will have special deals for test strips. My insurance copay is $45/100 strips. However, I registered my meter (a free style lite) with the parent company - Abbot.com. They sent me a card and now my strips are $15. the Free style lite meter is really cheap and as easy to use as the contour. I actually think the maker of contour has a discount program as well. It is worth checking out. At any rate, the first group of test strips will help you figure things out.

Rie
Old 08-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #108  

@Trish, yes, I've tried the steel cut oats too.

@Bonnie, Walmart has strips $20/50 and the meter is only $9. It might be worth it to get a batch of those once in a while to do some extra testing. It's called ReliOn.

Last edited by kjsspot; 08-13-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #109  
Bonnie

I will have to check on it next month I am strapped for cash right now. I seen the meters so I will have to see what I can do...

Rie I went on the web site and reg it . They are gonna send me 10 strips in the mail free.I do have a free style freedom Lite I don't use it cause insurance wont pay for supplies. I am gonna have to do something. I tested before dinner with no snack and dinner was late we got stuck at the uncles house by a wonderful T storm. it was 112 so lower then Breakfast.

I went under the contour web site and reg it should I do the same for the Freestyle lite if I ever need to use it or not. If I go get the cheap one from walmart I dont want to have half a doz reg. But if I have problems with them I would like to make sure they can help me
Old 08-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #110  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Butterfly I understand about the strips costing too much. I couldn't do that now either and I use the ReliOn from Wal-Mart. 112 is good for later in the day. I read somewhere that a woman whose fasting number was not real low and her doctor told her that it was more important for the number to be in a lower range later in the day than fbs. BTW Just noticed you live in SC, I live in Rock Hill, SC. We got rain this evening too. Do you live in my general area? I realize you might not want to give the city and I can understand that so not asking exactly. I'm a transfer from TX by way of FL to SC. Were you born here?
Old 08-13-2011, 11:26 PM   #111  
Bonnie

pattygirl63 I live in Ravenel and I am from Illinois/Wisconsin. I know the price on these things are unreal my insurance company will only pay for the contour so that is what I got But it is tough trying to figure all this stuff out. I will hopefully get used to all this . My 112 was skipping afternoon snack and dinner was 2 hours late. I guess before long I will be a pro at it.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:27 AM   #112  
Inspired

S/C/G: 228/195/128

Height: 5' 3"

Good Morning! Back on meal schedule with fbs 95 today. Whew!

Good discussion about glucose meters. Two months ago I purchased both Accuchek and Contour. My wallet was crying with all the test strips purchased and used as I experimented with foods and exercise. I was more concerned with the different readings I obtained from the two meters. Average 15 point difference with Accuchek showing consistently lower numbers. Went to Sams to see if the strips were any cheaper there. The friendly pharmacist talked me into trying Reli-On. He proudly described how they were made in Japan. I keenly noted the pharmacist was Japanese. Anyhow, I agreed to try the Reli-On micro. He was a good salesman. The substantially lower cost was worth the try.

Well...Reli-On glucose readings were consistently higher than the other two (by this time, I was checking all three from a single deep fingerstick). Reli-On produced upward of 30 points higher than Accuchek. So I started paying attention to how I was feeling when I compared the numbers. When I suspected my bs was high, the Reli-On numbers made the most sense. Once, when I was feeling shaky hypoglycemic, all three showed bs 61-62.

In summary, I still haven't checked my numbers against the lab. Will do that in a couple of weeks when my HbA1C and FBS is drawn. To date, I believe the Reli-On has been the most accurate of all. I haven't used the other two meters for more than a month. The fact that Reli-On test strips are significantly less expensive is a bonus.

Best wishes to all for good health and excellent blood sugars today!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #113  
Bonnie

Good morning 123 this morning and down 1/2 pound this am. So feeling pretty good. wanted to share this menu they gave me as a guide line they said I should follow. Let me say I dont agree with it I think their is too many carbs in it.

Breakfast- 1oz of ham or 1 egg or 1/4 egg substitute
1/2 cup cooked grits
1 cup frozen sugar free berries
1 piece of bread
1/2 cup celery
1tbs low fat margarine or 1/2 tbs cream cheese

Snack - Sugar free Jello

Lunch- 3 ounces of chicken with out skin
1 1/2 c cooked veggies
1 slice of bread
small apple or serving of fruit
1 tbs low soduim soy sauce
1tsp olive oil

snack- 3 cups low fat popcorn or small apple or 6 crackers

Dinner- 3 ounces of beef or fish or chicken or turkey
2 ounces cooked shrimp and 1 ounce light cheese
2/3 c cooked rice/pasta
1 1/2 c cooked broccoli

Snack- 3 graham crackers and 1 1/2 tsp peanut butter

all ends up to 1500 cal and 165 carbs a day
Old 08-14-2011, 09:33 AM   #114  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly50 View Post
kjsspot with the hubby it is something we have discussed before he has these issues sometime that he gets to feeling rel bad and then i make him eat something sweet and he starts to feel better. He is very stuborn and wont go to the doctor. when he gets like that again I am gonna test and see where he is at. I am jest glad that they are starting school. Expecially the 16 year old she is the one that stresses me out the most.

pattygirl63 my insurance will pay up to 150 permonth and no more.The doc ordered me for 100 so if they change it i will have them He said to only do it once before breakfast and then before dinner. The company is sending me 10 free strips so I may do a little experminting with them. Them little strips I have cost 130.00 for 100 strips. I will have to see what I can do. I am about to go crazy.........
I had hypoglycemia (low blood sugars) for year before diabetes set in for me, and its a risk factor for developing diabetes. The actual number may not be low, but he may be going from a high to a relative low. There was one time, I had a cranberry juice with soda at a pub. It turned out to be loaded with sugar, and in a one hour period, my sugars dropped from over 12 to 5 or so. Now five isn't low, but my body thought it was after the 12. I was sick and shaky, typical problems for people with lows. SO its all relative.

What kind of meter do you have? that cost is ridiculous. Canadian prices are usually a bit higher than US, and I haven't seen anything that pricey.
Don't know what your co-pay is, but i would look into getting a different meter with cheaper strips. Surely your insurer (or medicaid? medicare?) would co-operate about that.

T
Old 08-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #115  
Madeleine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floriduh View Post
Good Morning! Back on meal schedule with fbs 95 today. Whew!

Good discussion about glucose meters. Two months ago I purchased both Accuchek and Contour. My wallet was crying with all the test strips purchased and used as I experimented with foods and exercise. I was more concerned with the different readings I obtained from the two meters. Average 15 point difference with Accuchek showing consistently lower numbers. Went to Sams to see if the strips were any cheaper there. The friendly pharmacist talked me into trying Reli-On. He proudly described how they were made in Japan. I keenly noted the pharmacist was Japanese. Anyhow, I agreed to try the Reli-On micro. He was a good salesman. The substantially lower cost was worth the try.

Well...Reli-On glucose readings were consistently higher than the other two (by this time, I was checking all three from a single deep fingerstick). Reli-On produced upward of 30 points higher than Accuchek. So I started paying attention to how I was feeling when I compared the numbers. When I suspected my bs was high, the Reli-On numbers made the most sense. Once, when I was feeling shaky hypoglycemic, all three showed bs 61-62.

In summary, I still haven't checked my numbers against the lab. Will do that in a couple of weeks when my HbA1C and FBS is drawn. To date, I believe the Reli-On has been the most accurate of all. I haven't used the other two meters for more than a month. The fact that Reli-On test strips are significantly less expensive is a bonus.

Best wishes to all for good health and excellent blood sugars today!
They are allowed to have a variance of about 10-20% from the lab values, LOL, doesn't make a lot of sense to me. But thems the rules. I was unable to find any studies about which meters are more accurate, and none of the diabetes educators I have talked with recommend specific brands, except for ease of use or ability to see the numbers.
In general, if you use the same meter, you will see trends, they are accurate within themselves. It is better to pick on meter and use it consistently. People seem pretty happy with the reli-on. I also use a meter for work, but need it for testing lows in that capacity, and a 10% difference makes a clinical difference for treatment in that setting. (for newborns we want them above 3.4, and the difference between a reading of 3.0 and 2.7 would affect how I propose treating the baby) so I have been using a meter that was tested against lab values at my local hospital so that the docs I consult with are happy with that. I get 100 strips for about $80 canadian. A bit pricey, and I don't have coverage, (am keeping my diagnosis from my insurers so that I won't get dinged if my midwives association switches insurers at some point, which we are considering. )
ok, I digressed a lot from your original point, sorry to hijack you.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #116  
Madeleine

Default might be a little tmi

Hi everyone. My fbs was a lovely 4.6 this am, wish I knew what I did right. Didn't have a bedtime snack, so maybe I have been overindulging in the evenings and should cut back. I didn't eat last night because the constipation was making me too bloated and I lost my appetite. I am having some success on that level this am. This is definitely a problem for me with atkins, and the fact that I am back on induction has made it worse. My weight loss always seems to stall with this too. When I was a kid and my mother fed me on white bread and little fibre, I had problems with constipation, and when older and switched to a more whole grains diet, I have had no problems until about 6 months after starting atkins. Metformin doesn't change that, unless I eat wheat.
I find that any and all grains spike my sugars, but it might be worth it to add a bit of wheat in. I usually manage with some fruit and some psyllium fibre capsules, but without the fruit this week, I am not doing well. This is why I can't stay on induction too long.

Ok, enough ranting. I have been enjoying taking some time and catching up with reading posts this morning. Trish, I know its hard to share a home, and its not like you all moved into a new place, they have moved into YOUR home, and thats an issue too. Hope you can find a way to make it work better, it sounds like this will go on for a while. I like how you reframe it positively, in terms of helping, and how much you are enjoying your grandkids. That makes a big difference, and I know you will be glad that you have had them for this time.

Ruth, good idea to stay away from some of the temptations. I do not have a lot of will power when things are put in front of me, but food pushers somehow manage to turn me off and make me stand my ground, more than someone who simply offers and forgets about it. I have a stubborn streak I guess. I hope the dogs are nice. I am worried about your leg. DId you have the doctor check it out? No clots to worry about? It seems to be going on for quite a while, and its not like you to complain.

A big hello to everyone else, it is lovely to have a bigger group checking in!
Old 08-14-2011, 10:15 AM   #117  
Bonnie

fatmad I have a contour and my copay is only 3.40 per script. Witch makes it easier to pay for but when you are needing to check it often to see how foods affect the body then they will only allow you but so many a month at that price I can't afford to pay full cost. I will check into one of the cheaper meters next month. I was talking to my husband about it and he said will have to check them out.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #118  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

It is a peaceful and beautiful morning here in Montana. FBS at 82 this morning and I breakfasted on a granny smith apple with a little peanut butter and 1 oz of cream cheese. That breakfast always seems luxurious to me. I love the confidence and convenience of the single serve cr cheese packets from sams. They last a long time, too. I just found these little single serve, portable peanut butter things too. I am not using them at home but they would be good when traveling.

I wasn't able to work out this morning because I am having bad muscle spasms in my back. I am hoping to avoid an emergency room trip but it was really bad last night so I just don't know. I have been trying heat/ice and ibutabs.

Fatmad, sorry for the blocked up problem. It is so uncomfortable. I never get much relief from fiber. How about a stool softener? I pretty much take one every day.

Bonnie, It seems strange to me that insurance companies are stingy about test strips but they sure are. It seems they would want us to test more often. I just want you to know, also, that testing gets easier and simpler over time. When I started it seemed like such a PROCESS. Now, I can do it on autopilot while I am talking on the phone, half asleep, or whatever. The diet they gave you looks like the standard diet. Very carb-heavy. It is the advice that your dr office is giving you. I would encourage you to make the adjustments that you think are necessary.

Also, Bonnie - I love your new avatar picture! It is really nice.

Floriduh, I think consistency within the same meter is the most important factor. My A1c seems to be verifying the numbers that I am recording daily. Glad that you are back on track and hanging out with us.

Trish, I don't seem to have any problem with oatmeal as long as I use strict portion control and pair it with protein. It just continues to amaze me that each of us is so different. Good for you on adjusting to the family issues. Living in an extended family is always tough. It is good for the kiddies, but still tough. My ds has custody of his son and they have been living with me for about 18 months. We do the best we can but it is sometimes a struggle. The only thing that has saved us is that we have worked out good communication to resolve issues as they come up.

I hope that everyone enjoys the rest of the weekend. It is nice to have so many friends checking in here. I will check back later.

Rie

Old 08-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #119  
Bonnie

Thanks Rie I thought I should up date that one was taken so long ago.

Well I don't know what is going on right now But I feel sad. I am so stressed out around here for some reason today everything is on my nerves. Someone can say something and I want to take their head off. My 16 year old is the worst she has bipolar and she hits it everytime. I jest feel like sitting down and have a good cry.

I don't get what in the world is wrong with the people in this house they act like they are starvin to death. Everyone of them we have went through 5 Doz eggs in less then two weeks and a jar of peanut butter and Jam in less then a week. I dont get it . What in the world are they thinking of . We have two weeks left and money is so tight I may not be able to buy grocries in the next week . I dont know what to do with them . I swear I need a vacation with out them they all stress me out so bad..

Sorry for the vent I figured this was better then going off on someone.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #120  

I spent many years where you're at and it's not easy but it can get better. When my sugars are out of control I'm irritable, moody, fatigued, and foggy headed. It's absolutely horrible. I spent over 10 years without health insurance and living below the poverty line. I didn't know I had diabetes and even after I found out it took me a while to get control.

So you know how to watch the sales and coupon? It does take time but there are forums that help you match the coupons and sales and those really help shave the time off. The only way we got by back then was by getting a lot of free stuff through couponing. And, we also get help occassionally from food banks as well. I learned how to be very frugal. (hubby never learned though)

Things have changed since then. I put myself through college and got a great job and now we have a nice house, insurance, plenty of groceries, and I feel so much better with my sugars under control but I spent more years where you are than where I'm at now so I do remember it very well.

Oh! And I stopped buying white bread. I know the whole wheat is more expensive but now a loaf lasts a week, not a day.
Closed Thread