3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Diabetes Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support-203/)
-   -   hello and some good news (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/239142-hello-some-good-news.html)

enchantedonyx 07-26-2011 10:35 AM

hello and some good news

Hi everyone!

I just returned to 3FC after being gone a long time. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in April with an a1c of 9.2. I'm on metformin 500mg 2x a day now.

I posted this on a diabetes forum yesterday and no one seemed to care but I've always found 3FC folks to be much more supportive.

I know I've got a long way to go. The first three months were rough. A bit of denial, struggling to figure out what foods I could/couldn't eat, plenty of "f*** this, I'm eating what I want" days. And an ugly allergy that reared its head in the form of a month-long migraine headache. But I've stuck with it and as much as my mouth dislikes my new dairy-free, gluten-free, sugar-free lifestyle, my body is happier and healthier. I've lost almost 20lbs since diagnosis. I exercise almost daily now. I'm starting to get compliments and my clothes are all too big.

What I wanted to share was that I had my 3 month a1c bloodwork done on Thursday. I don't see my doctor until next week to discuss the results. But yesterday morning, my phone rang and it was the nurse at my doctor's office. She called because my results had just come in and she wanted me to know how incredibly pleased she and my doctor both were with my results! My a1c was 6.8 (I know, still high, but I'm a work in progress!) and she didn't give me the numbers but said my cholesterol was way down, too!

What the heck? This low-carb thing actually works! Not just on the weight but overall for good health!

Lindy87 07-26-2011 11:44 AM

Great job getting your A1c down! :cp:

:welcome:

Riemontana 07-27-2011 10:51 AM

Yay for you! I didn't respond yesterday because I am not on much right now. I am on vacation normally I am here once a day. Again, good job

Bellamack 07-27-2011 11:37 AM

Congrats and keep up the good work and maybe, just maybe, you can get rid of the meds....

fatmad 08-01-2011 10:54 PM

this is fantastic to drop your a1c so quickly. good for you! In addition, between the metformin and the low carb diet, your cholesterol has improved too. Good for you. Go to the atkins thread too for some yummy ways to work with your diet. I would miss the dairy too, is that your new allergy?

enchantedonyx 08-02-2011 09:22 AM

Yep, I have had a mild dairy allergy my entire life that I mostly ignored. After a month-long migraine that landed me in the ER a few weeks ago, my boyfriend made the connection- every time I started to feel better, we'd go to the ice cream shop for frozen yogurt (local place makes a fantastic butter pecan yogurt that doesn't spike my blood glucose). The next day, I'd be incredibly sick again. So I did a little experimenting and realized that even a small amount of dairy causes migraines.

grains spike my BG and dairy causes migraines so I just can't have them anymore.

I miss it but I suppose I'll live. And feel better. :)

misstraveller 08-19-2011 02:39 PM

Way to go! 6.8 is awesome, just look at how much has changed! Progress, not perfection :)

DianaG 08-20-2011 12:15 PM

Congratulations! I think it is wonderful that your A1C is down so much.

theCandEs 08-20-2011 12:26 PM

Is this sugar-free yogurt, perhaps? I've found that anything with artificial sweeteners is just horrible on my system. I can eat cheese and have half-and-half with no problems, but yogurt with sweeteners -- no! I gave up artificial sweeteners (I know, I know -- so difficult!), and I feel so much better.

Anyway, it seems like you've narrowed it down, and you are doing so well!! Congrats on feeling better and improving your health!!!