Old 08-25-2011, 09:38 AM   #16  
You can DOOO IT!

S/C/G: 223/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for the information Iconised! (Nice to see you here, too, I usually see you in 20somethings!). I discussed with my fiance' and it did make us hopeful, but I would never try it without talking to my betes Doc first.

LOL, nice disclaimer btw.
misstraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #17  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

haha well i thought since people here were up in arms about this article i should share, sorry to dash people's hopes! But a bit of remission isnt a bad thing either right? So it could still be worth talking to your diabetes doc about. People just end up hoping for miracles and this isnt it sadly.

Thanks xD
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconised Ghost View Post
I work as an intern health psychologist at diabetes clinics in 2 hospitals, and we discussed this article at our journal club with the dietitians, endocrinologists, etc. I think the conclusion we came to is that its a bit misleading and irresponsible for it to be advertised as a cure, when the sample size is so small and there was such a high "relapse". I think we reckoned that it was more that the diabetes went into remission- which I believe we already knew can happen with weight loss, change in life style etc anyway with Type 2.
Say, a person lost weight, exercised and was told she no longer had to take her meds or test her blood glucose. Would she still have to follow her same carb concious diet? I know someone who did this, and I am just wondering about this long term. Would she continue to be in remission as long as she kept her weight down and exercised? Or is there a chance her diabetic symptoms could come back anyway?

Carol
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:04 PM   #19  
This is not a test.

I am not a diabetic nurse or endocrinologist so all i can do is report what ive been told by them. With that in mind, i have asked these people that same question and was told that chances are that the symptoms will come back. BUT how long they can stay in remission varies. You could stay in remission for 15 years, go back on metformin for 15 years, then need a tincy bit of insulin for 15 years (because you've maintained your lifestyle/weight loss etc). And if you were, I dunno, say 45 to begin with, you'd be 90 by that time.

Its all very tricky. Basically, my understanding is that there is no cure for diabetes, once you've got it you've got it, but there are things that can put it into remission, and sometimes remission is a long time

Last edited by Iconised Ghost; 08-27-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:33 AM   #20  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconised Ghost View Post
I am not a diabetic nurse or endocrinologist so all i can do is report what ive been told by them. With that in mind, i have asked these people that same question and was told that chances are that the symptoms will come back. BUT how long they can stay in remission varies. You could stay in remission for 15 years, go back on metformin for 15 years, then need a tincy bit of insulin for 15 years (because you've maintained your lifestyle/weight loss etc). And if you were, I dunno, say 45 to begin with, you'd be 90 by that time.

Its all very tricky. Basically, my understanding is that there is no cure for diabetes, once you've got it you've got it, but there are things that can put it into remission, and sometimes remission is a long time
its very important for us to remember that progression of this disease is not our fault either. One can do everything right, and still get diabetes (not all type 2 diabetics are overweight for instance). It can still progress, even under good control.
We can do our best, and that will give us better health and better life. That part is up to us!
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:08 AM   #21  
This is not a test.

I think you hit it on the head, fatmad. And sadly most of the general public doesnt know that its not your fault
Old 09-02-2011, 07:58 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 288/188/130

Height: 5" 5'

I'm not sure that I would be able to sustain 600 cals for 8 weeks. Even if it is for a cure! My diabetes is a result of my lifestyle (I am the only one in my family with it) I have eaten my way through so many calories, grams of sugar etc that I have now got this condition for life and although I do quite well now, food is a huge issue for me and I suspect it always will be.
JingerBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #23  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Some people are looking at this study, and the studies about intermittent fasting that seem to show improved BG indicators, and doing the JUDDD program. (Up day/down day, or alternate day diet)

Basically, you eat about 600 calories one day, then the next 2200 or so. The two-day average is about what you'd need to lose weight (1400, in this case), but your body doesn't go into the dreaded "starvation mode". The every-other-day refeeding keeps you from changing your metabolism, and the calorie restriction can give you health benefits (better insulin response, anti-aging and reduced risk of cancer, for three). I've heard those who follow it say that as long as you eat your full allotment of up-day calories, the down-day restriction isn't that bad.

I've been trying it now for about a week (was doing IF for the last few months), and am liking it quite a bit. The scale is beginning to move in the right direction again, and my blood sugars are stabilizing.

YMMV... I am an unmedicated pre-diabetic, so it may be more dangerous to try a diet plan that restricts food if you need diabetes medications.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote