Sugar Alcohol Question

• I saw a label on some ice cream. It had 3g of sugar and 11g of sugar alcohol. Could someone tell me if this is good or not? I probably knew this when I was in TOPS about 10 years ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have just been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes so I am still in the learning stages of all this. God Bless. Tammy
  • I don't know what you meant by "good" or what you are trying to do with the label. Are you adding?

Calorie wise, carbs like sugar are 4 cal per gram. Protein is 4 cal per gram. Alcohol is 7 calories per gram. Fats are 9.

HTH!
    A.
  • Sugar alcohols are OK for diabetics but take it easy. They can cause intestinal distress. The sugar grams could be real sugar or could be milk sugar which is lactose. Check the ingredients rather than the nutritional content of you are trying to avoid sugar.
  • Thanks Ruthxxx, I was wondering if sugar alcohol was good for diabetics. You have answered my question. God Bless.
  • I buy sugar free candy that has sugar alcohol in it. I usually always have some SF Chocolate and SF Taffy in my drawer. It really helps with the cravings but I can only eat about 3 a day. More than that will give me a serious case of the runs.