Blood Sugar accountability Thread.

• Since weight really relies heavily on what your blood sugars are doing i thought a thread to help us see how what we are eating is affecting our b/s. I didn't see a similar thread.

My goals are 60-120 recommended for pregnancy.

My fasting should be 60-90, but rarely is.

i am supposed to get a stick fasting, and 2 H after every meal.

I ate too much fruit with dinner last night and my post meal was 125. blah. I'm learning. I also will continue to monitor after my pregnancy because my values consider me pre-diabetic as well. I think posting my diet will keep me accountable, and help me to see where i am going wrong, i am also journaling my food too.

Pre Breakfast: 95
    Breakfast: 2 pcs ancient grains toast; 2 tbsp pb, 1 tbsp all fruit, 1 cup coffee, 1 tsp honey, 1/4 cup milk.

2H: 109
  • I think a blood sugar thread is a wonderful idea. Mine is up today.
    Yesterday I had dinner at a friends and ate things I shouldn't. Right
    now I am not on meds but my Doctor says if I can't control it with
    diet he will put me on them. It's time for me to get much more
    serious and eat better and for me that means controlling carbs. I
    hope others will post here and we can encourage each other to keep
    our sugar down. SMW
  • yay, slow moving, that is EXACTLY what i want to avoid. I don't like the idea of being put on meds.
  • Ok, so here is the breakdown so far:

goal: 60-120 2H post meal
    60-90 fasting

Breakfast: 2 pcs ancient grains toast; 2 tbsp pb, 1 tbsp all fruit, 1 cup coffee, 1 tsp honey, 1/4 cup milk.

Lunch 1234

2 pcs ancient grains bread (high fiber/protein)
    1 oz cheese
    2 slices turkey
    1 tsp mayo
    2 pickles
    2 tbs coleslaw
    20 small grapes
    10 raw almonds

2H: 118 A little on the high side, but still in range.
  • yay, I win! FINALLY, finally got a decent b/s reading at night!

here is the break down.

goal: 60-120 2H post meal
    60-90 fasting

Lunch 1234

2 pcs ancient grains bread (high fiber/protein)
    1 oz cheese
    2 slices turkey
    1 tsp mayo
    2 pickles
    2 tbs coleslaw
    20 small grapes
    10 raw almonds

2H: 118 A little on the high side, but still in range.

snack @ 1922
    1 orange
    1/2 cup almonds and walnuts
    coffee
    1/2 tsp honey
    1/4 milk

Dinner @ 1943
    1 pc 5 oz steak
    2 cups broccoli
    1/2 cup egg fried brown rice

1 cup WEAK herbal tea. w goats rue
    1 tsp honey

EXERCISE: arm reps about 45 total, 3 x 5 squats

2H 98!! The lowest it has been ever at night!

well, according to my b/s sticks, i am MOST resistant at night. Which is interesting because I have always done better doing weight lifting at night. when i was healthy as a teenager, i did my weight routine at night.

The tea is new, but i bought it as a nursing tea, specifically because it does have goat's rue in it which is where they get metformin from. herbalists say it is okay during pregnancy, but i will stick with a very weak version of it.

stimulating my muscle cells increases insulin sensitivity and so does goat's rue. One awesome thing i noticed, after dinner i usually CRAVE, CRAVE, CRAVE something sweet. Once i STARTED to drink the tea, i felt the cravings AND the hunger completely disappear. Not like, i can do without it, but like I DON'T WANT IT!

finished the night with

1 cup chamomile
    1/2 tsp honey
    1/8 c milk.

**apparently got to dump the honey this late. i drank the tea to help me sleep at 12 am. Didn't get to sleep until 2:30 am though--due to SO coming in late.
  • I apparently can not tolerate ANYTHING sweet late at night. During the day it is fine. but at night--is a no no.

I woke up to my b/s being 101. very disappointing but, like i said i'm learning. The diabetic consultant said that alot of people are more insulin resistant after breakfast, that is NOT the case for me, mine is after 10 pm apparently.

The crazy thing is I woke up super hungry...so maybe my body was compensating because I was so hungry. Don't know. I know the SOMOGYI effect occurs because your b/s falls too low in the middle of the night and your body releases glucagon uncontrollably which causes crazy high blood sugars in the morning. Thank God i'm not waking up in the 500s but i wonder if that has something to do with my b/s being higher in the morning? I would have to wake up 3 hrs before i planned to get up to take a b/s to find out if that is causing it.

* edited to say the DAWN phenomenon is more common in pregnant women due to the hormones of pregnancy--this may be what is actually going on. So I really want to watch it late at night for the next couple of nights.

fasting: 101 EXTREMELY hungry, couldn't sleep due to my stomach growling violently.

Breakfast: 0944
    15 raw almonds
    toaster scrambler
    1 orange
    1 cup coffee
    1/2 tsp honey

2H 107

Lunch: 1444

5 almonds
    2 pcs ancient grains bread
    2 pickles
    2 tbsp coleslaw
    1 oz pepper jack cheese
    2 slices turkey
    1 slice orange
    1/4 c ice cream
    1/4 c milk
    1/8 c pecans

2H 117

So now, i am going to watch my carbs very strictly. we have steak for dinner, i'm going to make some spinach and maybe some brown rice. My teas will have no sweetener. I will do a few reps of something after dinner.

I am so not hungry right now, but i got to study. I think i will make some green tea, non sweetened.
    snack: black tea, non sweetened, a splash of milk--needed the caffeine

Dinner 2044
    5 oz steak
    2 cups spinach
    15 raw almonds
    20 cherry tomatoes

2H 92!!! go me.

still going to drink some herbal teas, and do a few reps, and hopefully i will finally be under 90 when i wake up!

i have found that having to take my blood sugars is causing me to resist snacking in between meals, and i can go longer without being hungry. Since i have followed intermittent fasting in the past, i like this WOE much better.

EXERCISE: 12 LUNGES EACH LEG; 16 REPS ARM CURLS WITH 6 LBS, 15 TRICEP DIPS WITH 6 LB WEIGHTS: hopefully this gives me the edge on the dawn effect.