What are you bs goals?

• I am newly diagnosed along with hypothyroid. I just started testing my blood.

What are your goals for FBS?

When else do you test? Before meals? 1 hour after? 2 hours after? What do you try to keep your numbers at when you do measure?
  • My goal for my fasting blood sugar is (ideally) under 100 mg/dl.

After my meals, I like to stay below 140. It's not always possible, but I try to stay under 140 at all times.
  • As I am pre-diabetic, I try to keep mine at "normal" levels, the kind of levels that non-diabetics have. From my readings and understanding of the research I have read, for diabetics and pre-diabetics, this is best, if it is possible. I manage at this point with metformin and diet.
    As for testing, I tested a lot until I understood how I responded to different foods. after a bit my doctor recommended I test once or twice a day for while. These were at different times. fasting a couple of times a week, pre or 2 hr post meals a couple of times a week each, and a bedtime at least once a week. So Monday might be fasting and 2 hours after lunch, Tueday 2 hours after breakfast and before supper, Wednesday before lunch and before bed.
    etc.
    I now test a couple of times per week, or if I am changing my diet.
    good luck and hope your thyroid meds help.
  • Thanks for your answers. I called my Dr and he takes forever to get back to someone.

That helps a lot.
  • I have GD, and i was looking for a similar post. For now, i am testing fasting, and 2 H after meals. My goal is 60-120 so I am shooting for that.

I ate too much fruit with dinner last night and my post meal was 125. blah. I'm learning. I also will continue to monitor after my pregnancy because my values consider me pre-diabetic as well. I think posting my diet will keep me accountable, and help me to see where i am going wrong, i am also journaling my food too.

Pre Breakfast: 95
    Breakfast: 2 pcs ancient grains toast; 2 tbsp pb, 1 tbsp all fruit, 1 cup coffee, 1 tsp honey, 1/4 cup milk.

2H: 109
  • Jen: Don't know what your plans are for feeding your baby, but I would recommend breastfeeding pretty strongly. FOr the baby, it can help prevent diabetes later in life, for you, it will bring down your sugars, can help with weight loss (if you eat well and exercise gently especially) and reduces the chance that you will be diabetic for several years after the pregnancy. Even a few weeks will make a difference.
    Hope things are going well with the pregnancy otherwise, and that you have a happy healthy baby.
  • oh yes, i did 9 months with ds 1, i really hope to go longer with this one. I am also investing in a pump as well. Thanks fatmad.
  • I test first thing in the morning and not again. I've been dealing with this for five years. My FBGL is usually between 5 and 4. Multiply by 18 to get USA readings. My HA1C is tested every three months and is currently 6.5 which is just fine for a well-controlled diabetic.
  • My doctor has never recommended I test more than morning, but my step-sister's hubby is diabetic and he got control of his diabetes by testing after everything he ate. I really didn't want to go to that extreme, but I did test 2 to 3 hrs after meals for a while. This helped me to learn that just because something was considered diabetic friendly DID NOT mean that it was diabetic friendly for ME. Example many people can eat oatmeal for breakfast with or without fruit. When I was diagnosed by doctor, my A1c showed that my FBS was above 7 at 141 mg/dl. When I ate oatmeal which was my favorite breakfast it shot up over 200 mg/dl. I read somewhere in the beginning (read lots of books and on line) that while it is important to work with my doctor that it is also extremely important that I manage my diabetes myself. My doctor told me once that he has found that those who work at it get control and those who don't work at it do not get control. Right now my FBG is 103 mg/dl, but my goal is to be under 100 mg/dl.

Good luck on journey. As someone said earlier, this is a learning experience. So don't get discouraged and don't give up. It is controllable and you can do it.