3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Diabetes Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support-203/)
-   -   Dawn phenomenon (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/219027-dawn-phenomenon.html)

TrickyChick 12-06-2010 02:28 PM

Dawn phenomenon

Greetings fellow diabetics!

I am gluten free due to celiac as well as diabetic, so no one can whine about not being able to eat yummy foods as much as I can. It was very hard to adjust to BOTH restrictions, but here I am, so I must have survived it.

Anyone else get the dawn phenomenom? I am so sick of getting a high reading first thing in the morning. My brain tells me that should be the LOWest sugar of the day, after all, I've been fasting, for goodness sake.

ARGH!!!

Ruthxxx 12-06-2010 05:44 PM

Syndrome/Affect/Phenomenom - it's your liver reacting to fasting and kicking out glucose to raise your BGL. Check out this thread.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diab...wn-affect.html

fatmad 12-06-2010 10:05 PM

Tricky: what type of diabetes do you have (type 1 or 2, or prediabetes?)
What has your doctor or diabetic educator said? Some of us use medication to help control this. I too can control my sugars with careful diet, except the fasting. I am on metformin, but its not right for everyone.
How long have you been testing?
Welcome to our group.

vdander24 12-06-2010 10:23 PM

I can rarely get my morning number out of the 130-150 range in the morning. My doctor told me that wasn't good. He didn't say anything about that morning problem, and I thought it was just me! My doctor is not the brightest crayon in the box, I am learning.

Ruthxxx 12-07-2010 05:43 AM

Well, somebody had to graduate at the bottom of the class. :shrug: Have you considered switching doctors?

TrickyChick 12-07-2010 04:34 PM

I'm type II, for about 7 years. I recently restarted metformin, and my morning sugars are 170s. Without metformin, 200s to 210s. Hopefully, as I lose weight, it will keep going down.

I had a "food tantrum" this past year due to having to deal with no sugar and no wheat/gluten. Ate a lot of sugar and so my last A1c about 2 months ago was 7.5. Yikes, it's never been that high. So now I've seen the light and am completely off sweets and back on metformin. There are some things my body just can't take anymore, and lots of sugar is one of them.

Thanks for that link, Ruth. Very informative.

Alexis On A Mission 01-16-2011 04:21 AM

That is bizarre, I had the same problem as well when I started, and I'm a type 1. Now that I have a pump I wake up low most of the time though. I think that it's odd that both type 1 and 2's have this issue...

strangewayes 03-18-2011 10:26 AM

I have had high bs in the am for over 25 years. I used to get very pissed when used to hear other type ones ( who were skinny no less). State they never had this and maybe I am not in good control. Well that phrase when I was ten stuck with me since my am bs were always 'bad'. So I was a bad type one. WELL now I got used to it I have this and just take a shot of humalog before I leave the house. I used to take more kamiya but would end up with low bs and even doing anything out of my sloth routine I would get low. Can not lose weight that way can I with extra intake. If it is just your am take a tad more insulin. It used to be for me before I even move out of the bed my bs were say 100. I was happy that I was not bad. I take a shower retest and whoooooaaa 210? Bad girl. Now I know better everyone is different. And the type ones who tell you they are always perfect do not live in the real world.

Papillion Mom 03-18-2011 04:30 PM

Type 1 here as well. Strangewayes (just wondering) are you on shots or a pump? I had dawn phenomenon for a long time but since I (and my endo) changed my pump basal rate it is much better. Average is btwn 75-115 in the morning now but it used to be in the high 100- low 200 range. Now my biggest problem is going low when I take insulin for breakfast and if I don't take insulin it shoots straight up, even for protein only breakfast.

Type 1's who say they always have perfect BS have to be lying. I have always had A1C's in the 7 range and my doctors are relatively happy since many Type 1's are MUCH higher.

Now that my husband and I are officially trying to conceive I have had to get super tight control (last A1C- 6.5 :D) of course with more insulin comes weight gain and a lot more lows. Such a fun ride- sure can drive you crazy :dizzy:

Anyway, if you are not on a pump you might want to look into it. I'm on an OmniPod and love it. No tubes and very discreet. I have found, however, that when trying to keep super tight control I do better with a basal from my pump and actual shots for my boluses. For some reason it just works better for me.

The trick for any diabetic fighting highs is just figuring out what works best for you and finding a doctor who knows what they are doing. My last diabetes educator was awesome because she was a type 1 and really understood that never going above 120 was impossible. I was so sad when I moved and had to find someone new but my new endo is great too.

Sorry for the rambling. Basically, just trying to say I know where you all are coming from and we are in this together :)

A very non-perfect Type 1,
Papillion Mom

strangewayes 03-25-2011 09:31 AM

I am not on a pump and have looked at the pod and the suggestion of using a pump etc is/has/was been suggested but overall I didn't feel that it would improve me overall and really my style is not to have something clipped to my waist. ( tend to wear dresses etc) I have looked at the pos/ neg and the pump is just not a fit. I also hAve a few other medical poopies wrong going on with my body but hang in there and Pmom great to hear something works for you good going woots

jendiet 03-28-2011 09:30 PM

first of all to really figure out what is going on--this is coming from my RN training btw, is you have to find out if it is the DAWN or the SOMOGYI. Dawn is because of hormones telling your liver to pump out the sugar-pp is right. SOMOGYI is from your b/s getting too low in the middle of the night, and then compensating by pumping out the sugar.

the ONLY way to tell Dawn from Somogyi is to take a b/s reading 3 or 4 hours BEFORE you rise normally for the day. if it is really low, you are likely experiencing the SOMOGYI. If it is not low, then you are experiencing the DAWN.

Riemontana 03-28-2011 09:51 PM

I am type 2 and I take metformin and januvia. I have managed really tight control. My doc suggested a small snack at bedtime and it really helps me. My favorite is "light and fit yogurt" (80 cals) or a slim fast snack bar (70 cals). It works for me.

georgepds 04-06-2011 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdander24 (Post 3597824)
I can rarely get my morning number out of the 130-150 range in the morning. My doctor told me that wasn't good. He didn't say anything about that morning problem, and I thought it was just me! My doctor is not the brightest crayon in the box, I am learning.

FWIIW, I'm a T2. For about two years I woke up at ~140. These days my FBG is anywhere from 90 to 110

I started walking about a year ago, and am now up to ~5 miles a day ( 6 this morning) .. that helps a lot. The other thing I did was drop ~80 lbs, so I don't know which did the trick

--G

fatmad 04-06-2011 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgepds (Post 3794669)
FWIIW, I'm a T2. For about two years I woke up at ~140. These days my FBG is anywhere from 90 to 110

I started walking about a year ago, and am now up to ~5 miles a day ( 6 this morning) .. that helps a lot. The other thing I did was drop ~80 lbs, so I don't know which did the trick

--G

the perfect way to control your diabetes. good for you.

georgepds 04-06-2011 04:31 PM

<re walking and weight loss>

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmad (Post 3794700)
the perfect way to control your diabetes. good for you.

Thank you

--G