Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 06:43 PM   #76  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

was able to stay on plan, the conference planners did have sandwiches for lunch, but I was able to eat the fillings, and there were two salads that seemed appropriate. I had a good breakfast as well, and supper looks fine. Found someone to work out with after the meetings ended and before supper. I am getting salmon for supper so should be fine. I may be tempted by the chocolate mousse for dessert tho. SInce I won't be drinking the wine etc it seems fair.... but maybe not a good idea. Can I resist?
So whats up, no posts since last night? Hope everyone is doing ok. I have another meeting day, then home to the family. ttfn
Old 11-23-2010, 07:51 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Fatmad So glad you are able to stay OP. I'm not sure exactly what all the doctor is checking for he just said that he wanted to know if there was any infection so I assume he is checking for it too. I don't really know what H. pylori is.

Not much happening here today. We went to regular doctor's office to check DH blood and it was a little thick, but they didn't change anything since he had started back on his coumadin yesterday evening.

I'm just counting calories right now and cutting the carbs back but not getting rid of all of them. I found a little booklet at the doctor's office called Managing Your Diabetes Self-Care Diary by Lilly. It has a place to write down your meals and snacks for each day and also a place to write before and after m/dl breakfast, noon and evening and bedtime mg/dl. So I got it one an am going to use it and keep up with things and probably start using it tomorrow. I think it will be very helpful to see how certain foods affect my blood sugar.

Till later.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:22 PM   #78  

Rosebud Hope everything is going all right with you. Prayers coming your way.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #79  
Madeleine

Trish, H. pylori is just a bacteria that can cause ulcers in some people. So treating that with antibiotics is part of treating the ulcers. So it sounds like the doc is checking, but sometimes it takes a while to get results.
recently, a family doc asked me to draw blood on a midwifery clients whose husband has the h. pylori bug. He wanted to make sure she didn't have it and to treat it if she did, before she had problems. So I guess it can pass between spouses. So if you DH has it, ask your doc about testing you too.
I did not have the chocolate mousse for dessert, and didn't drink all the wine. We all had a good time, its the first time I have been at this meeting (it happens annually, this is my 4th time) and I had just as much fun, but slept ok and no hangover. SO still not really missing the drinking. Sugars are stellar!
Old 11-25-2010, 01:11 AM   #80  

Y'all have HAPPY THANKSGIVING DAY!!!!
Old 11-25-2010, 09:43 PM   #81  

I did very well today. I finally found some steel cut oatmeal and I seem to be able to eat it with no problem. So I had that with Activia yogurt and blueberries this morning for breakfast. Then we went to Ryan's to eat and being back in southern part of the country I had old fashioned cornbread dressing with their gravy with turkey in it on top. I had a small of candied sweet potatoes but had no marshmellows, a good serving of green beans and a roll no butter. For dessert, I had told DH I wanted a piece of pecan pie and he went and cut me a small piece and put ice cream and carmel on top and WOW it was rich... too sweet. I ate about half of the pie since the crust was too hard. Came home and checked BS about 2 hrs later and the reading was 179 which I've learned from the little journal I found at the doc's office that it should be <180. So with what all I had and it being made in a restaurante, I think I did very well.

I haven't had muct since because something I ate made me sick or having all that food did. Ended up taking a zantac it settle my tummy down. I've had 1/2 grapefruit, 1 Weight Watcher's Carrot snack cake and a cup of diet cocoa and finished off my day with celery and a few WG crackers with tuna salad. Drinking lots of water now to hopefully wash out any salt I got today.

Hope everyone has had a great Thanksgiving day.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:09 AM   #82  
Madeleine

I had a nice supper party last night, and the roast veggies were the worst I did for carbs. But the day before I had some baked goods, too good to pass up, and binged a little of that. BS is staying fine, but did affect my weight a bit. Have to stay on track for now.
My little slip isn't fueling a carb craving like usual tho, which is nice. Sticking to scrambled eggs and back bacon for breakfast now. Have a nice Saturday friends.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #83  

fatmad Sounds like you have things under control. Good for you.

My FBS is staying around 130s, but my bs later in the day is great. Checked 2 hours after my main meal and it was 105. I read somewhere that some people have a higher FBS as it has something to do with our waking up in the morning. I do notice that when it is up a bit like that, I am ready to get up and get busy. I really like waking up ready to go instead of laying there dreading getting out of bed. My weight was really good this morning as weight is only up 1/2 lb after eating out and putting more carbs into my calorie county woe. I am more active as I feel more like doing more. However, I'm not getting enough sleep which would it would the FBS some if I could get my 7 to 8 hrs sleep. So I think things are good considering everything. I'm definitely learning that eating enough calories is as important as not eating enough.

Rosebud hasn't checked in so I hope it is because she is busy. Just wonder how her tests went.

Y'all have a great weekend.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:39 PM   #84  
Madeleine

Trish, are you on any meds? My fasting is still a bit higher than I would like, even with metformin in the evenings. I will be asking my doc about taking it twice a day. By diabetic standards, my fasting is ok, (in the high 5's usually, and I would like it in the low 5's or even in the high 4's, like non-diabetics: this correlates to 5.5 is 85 to you I think)
I believe the fasting is mostly due to the liver dumping glucose while we sleep, and the metformin is helpful for that, and I wonder if people who do low carb have more of a problem with that. But you are lower carb, not as low as I generally stay. hmmm
I also like steel cut oats. When I was still eating grains that was my favourite, and would be high on the list to enjoy when I start eating grains again. I would cook several servings at the same time since it takes so long to cook it. I also cooked it in milk or soy milk so it was creamier that way. mmmmm, now I'm getting a carb craving, not for sugary stuff, but for oatmeal. LOL
Old 11-28-2010, 12:34 AM   #85  

I'm thinking about asking the doctor if he can up my metformin as well. I can get the numbers down with strict low carb like atkins, but I'm just not satisfied with that any more. Sometimes I don't like the smell of the meat raw or cooked and I really miss the oats and fruit when on strict low carb. I read about a man whose wife wouldn't let him eat strict low carb and made him eat what they call balanced and he said that eventually his numbers came down. I am hoping that will work for me, however, I read that if you are Insulin Resistant that you have to do the low carb like atkins. So that may be I will have to do it and just get used to it. I will give this a little longer and then decide.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #86  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Been MIA since I got home as my PC finally gave it up! I'm back now but life is a tad difficult. My friend Joanne's man killed himself on Friday and we are all reeling. I also found out that the friend I visited in Langley is now in hospital and it doesn't look good. ** Sigh ** It's sort of hard to fa-la-la with bad stuff around but I'm working on it.
Managed to lose the tiny bit of weight I gained while in B.C. and even reinstated my ticker! With a lot of stress in my life right now, I need to take particular care to eat properly.
I'm about to have cabbage rolls made with quinoa right now on this cold and gray Sunday. Omelet and salad for dinner tonight.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #87  

Didn't make it to church today. DH didn't feel well thinks he is getting a sore throat. Then I couldn't sleep last night. Nothing new as I haven't been sleeping well. Finally got up and came back in here with DH and he asked what was wrong. I told him that I didn't know I just couldn't sleep. I checked my blood sugar and it was 163 at 2:30 in the morning. It had been hours since I'd eat anything. Guess I got that insulin surge before 3am. DH handed me a pill and said take this and go to bed in 1 hr. It was one of his sleeping pills. I went to the bathroom then came back and got all comfy in my recliner to watch something he wanted me to see while I waited for to go to bed in an hr. I remember covering up and leaning back and that is the last thing I remember until I woke up about 5 hrs later when I got up and made my way to bed for a few more hours for a total of 8 hrs sleep. When I got up and checked my FBS it was 111. So I'm going to have to discuss this with my dr. I think my main problem is that I don't slee enough hrs. My 5 or 6sometimes 7 hrs just isn't helping my BS. I would like him to up the metformin to (2) 1000 mg a day and I think I need a prescription for a mild sleeping pill that will help me sleep and not make me feel spaced out the next day.

Madie I am totally enjoying the steel cut oats. I am so thrilled that it doesn't throw my BS real high like the regular oats did. I liked to never found them, but I finally found them at Bi-Lo. I knew they used to sell it in the special foods section, but never saw them any more. I decided to look around the other oatmeal in the cereal section and found it there. There is a steal cut oats organic made by Country Choice. It says it cooks in 5 minutes on the box, but that is cooking on top of stove. I cook mine in the microwave. It says to cook 3 min at 50% power then stir and cook another 3-4 minutes at 50% power. I have 2 microwaves and 1 does powers and the other doesn't, but I found that I can cook it at full power in 3 minutes just like the old fashioned oats. Maybe you can find it there when you are ready to eat it again.

I learned to eat oats from my Mama. High cholesterol rain in her family, he daddy and brothers and 1 sister had it. Mama never had high cholesterol because she at oats. I always say I eat oats to control cholesterol, with berries to protect my arteries and yourt (switched to Activia) for digestive system and to keep down the tendency toward yeast infections which I have experienced with BS was way to high. I'm not sure I'm going to count calories or carbs. I think I'm going to center in on eating the right amount of veggies, fruits etc. The reason being that I've got so many years of diet rules of you have to eat this much etc. I think I need to eat enough to satisfy me. I have a tendency to eat what satisfies me and then I have all these calories left that I have to eat according to diet rules and then I eat more than I really need which leads me to crave certain tastes. I don't think I need so much food all the time. Will see. I don't want to set myself up for failure either. I just don't want any food or diet to control my life. It ends up taking up too much of my time and thougts. I want my life to take a turn away from thinking about food all the time.

Y'all have a great Sunday.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:52 PM   #88  
Madeleine

wow trish, those aren't my steel cut oats from scratch! they aren't hard to find in my regular grocers (zehrs and sobeys) but I usually buy the store brand. They take 45 minutes to cook (box says 30, but maybe since they are in milk and I don't have the heat so high it takes longer). I know zehrs also sell them in microwavable bowls, all frozen but precooked.
Ruth, I am happy you are back on line and getting back in shape. I am so sorry for the loss of this man. It is very hard on everyone involved to lose someone that way. Depression can be fatal, like cancer and emphysema, but the emotional toll on loved ones is very different. Loving thoughts and prayers go out to you and your friend Joanne.
Cabbage rolls with quinoe instead of rice, sounds wonderful. I just got a head of cabbage in my organic food box this week, that will be a good use for it. I will make it for work potluck, as DH doesn't appreciate them at all. (calls them garbage rolls, and whines if a restaurant is even serving them)
But thanks for the idea. I will go with it.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:01 AM   #89  

Hi Ruth Sorry I didn't see you on here today when I posted. You must have sent your message while I was typing mine and I missed you. Missed you when you were gone and glad you are back and have been able to get rid of the weight gain. Sorry your pc was down and really sad about your sick friend and the loss of Joanne's man. I will keep y'all in my prayers.

Mad I knew there were supposed to be the other kind of steel cut oates, but I never could find them. May have to go to the health food store to find them. I've decided not to wait any longer to go back to strict low carb; I'm doing it tomorrow. I ate a bowl of the beef soup I made yesterday and put the rest in the freezer to use when the kids come to spend a week at Christmas time. I felt so bad tonight even light headed at one time while decorating the tree. So I decided that maybe I need to do this now instead of waiting.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:20 AM   #90  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, got a phone call yesterday from Linda's daughter telling me Linda died Saturday night! I am finding this hard to take in as I had lunch with her just last Monday. This is going to be a difficult week so I will need to get a firm grip on food - at least that can be under control. The rest of Life is not!
Closed Thread