Old 08-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 192+,size16/ 164,12/ 150,10

Height: 5'7"

Default blood glucose monitors

Hi there,

Diagnosed pre-diabetic about three weeks ago or so. Have been reading a lot and have not only eliminated refined carbs, but reduced grain carbs. I want to experiment with grain carbs to see how my blood glucose reacts and need a blood glucose meter to do that. I don't want to spend a ton of money, but want something accurate. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!!
sf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:34 PM   #2  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

I bought a Wal-mart brand meter (ReliOn). It's relatively inexpensive ($12 for the meter and $20 for 50 strips) and it works pretty good. The Confirm and Micro meters use the same test trips. You need to buy the strips separate and sometimes they are hard to find. The lancets are cheap, about $4 for 100.

Last edited by theCandEs; 08-30-2010 at 04:34 PM.
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 335/319/150

Height: 5'9

I work for a company that makes glucose devices so I obviously have a favorite...

But I suggest checking out the major companies websites (Accu-Chek, Ascencia, Bayer and OneTouch) to figure out which meter you may like. 90% of the time if you call their 1-800 number you can get a meter/strips to begin testing free of charge.
CurlzQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #4  
Happy Member

I use a OneTouch Ultra. It works for me.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:43 PM   #5  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Talk to the diabetic educator you doc refers you to or at your local hospital. You can get most brands free but have to pay for the strips, hence the preference for the wal-mart brand, the strips are a lot cheaper, but I don't know about accuracy.
The diabetic educator may have specific suggestions. and will your health plan pay for strips? Mine does, but I decided not to use the plan, because I don't want any insurance company to have me down as diabetic or pre-diabetic. Don't know how you feel about it.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:58 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
I don't want any insurance company to have me down as diabetic or pre-diabetic. Don't know how you feel about it.
Agree!!

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. I'll check them out and look into the free meter route, but am hesitant about putting my name out there for the reason fatmad indicates. I would rather pay for the meter and strips myself, because I don't want to be labeled as diabetic or pre-diabetic, especially if I successfully control it with diet and exercise.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:09 AM   #7  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

That is why I bought mine, too. I had an old meter from when I was pregnant and had gestational diabetes, but the strips cost 3 times as much as the Walmart meter. A friend gave me a Freestyle Lite meter, but the strips were $60 for 50 versus $20 for 50. She did give me 50 strips, so I did use it, and I found the results very similar to the Walmart meter.
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #8  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I started with a Wal-mart Relion, and it was just fine. My doc "prescribed" a meter for me, and I get the strips inexpensively, so I switched. But the Relion gave me the info I needed when I needed it, at the right price, without prescription.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:04 PM   #9  
Madeleine

My diabetic educator didn't seem to favour one brand over another. According to consumer reports, the relion was the cheapest to use, with the Trutrack and walgreens true2 next, and Duocare after that. My onetouch is quite expensive, but the freestyle and aviva is most expensive. Some of the costs have to do with bells and whistles that may be needed by some Ds. You pay for things like big readouts, longer memory, downloadable info, self checking.
Consumer reports also says all the products they tested met the accuracy cutoff (us states 20% off from venous lab values) but they feel that is to wide a range, but given that, they didn't publish those that were more accurate. (Maybe lawsuit shy?) So if your machine doesn't jive with lab values, try another.
Mine has been within 10% consistently.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #10  

Great info, thank you! I think I'll look into the Relion and the True2. The nearest Walgreens is much closer and more convenient than the nearest WalMart, so may lean towards True2. Don't care about bells and whistles at this point because I already track everything in Excel and it will be easy to add this. I want to have a monitor by my next appointment, so I can compare the monitor results with the lab results.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #11  
Woman on mission!

Height: 5'9

TheCandEs,
I bought a ReliOn Ultima from Wal-Mart and am using it now, because the One Touch Ultra Mini Test Strips became outrageously expensive. When I bought the ReliOn, I paid $9 and a box of 50 Test Strips costs $39. Cannot stand this Meter! If I had my way, I would continue using the One Touch Ultra Mini, or Freestyle Lite. SF40, you might visit Lifescan's website and browse around for a free Meter. They were sending Meter for free with 10 Strips and 10 Lancets. They have several colors to choose from.
Butter_Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:17 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 254

Height: 5'3"

Also check out Freestyle Lite. Easy to use. Abbott is the maker.
julzchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 333/238/150

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Hey guys,

I use the OneTouch Ultra Smart because I can easily print out reports and take them to my doctor. I buy my strips online through amazon and I pay about $70 for 100 strips. Sometimes I get a better deal than that and I stock up. I do love my meter because it records everything for me and my doctor can plug into the meter's port and get all of the info for me. No more paper log books is definitely a plus for me!!! Hope this helps!
amber961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:53 PM   #14  
Madeleine

hmm, amber, thats what I use, but I pay about 65$ canadian at my local drug store for 100 strips. I thought us prices would be cheaper.

I know lots of people reuse the lancets, and I do too, but I have taken to changing it at least weekly, (no more than 10 pokes) because I was getting some bruising, I think they were dulling and causing more pain. Much better now with more frequent lancet changes. I use a device for the lancet different than the one that came with my one touch, I find it less painful.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 333/238/150

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
hmm, amber, thats what I use, but I pay about 65$ canadian at my local drug store for 100 strips. I thought us prices would be cheaper.

I know lots of people reuse the lancets, and I do too, but I have taken to changing it at least weekly, (no more than 10 pokes) because I was getting some bruising, I think they were dulling and causing more pain. Much better now with more frequent lancet changes. I use a device for the lancet different than the one that came with my one touch, I find it less painful.
I used to reuse lancets too until I wound up slicing my finger open and getting an infection from a used one! I have found them on sale for $3 for 100 so I figure what's the point in reusing them???

Also, if I were to buy the strips in a store, even at the cheapest they would still be about $90 for 100, so that's why I buy them online now. They are very expensive for me, since I have no insurance, but I figure that I am investing in my health, and therefore this is very much worth it.
amber961 is offline   Reply With Quote