September Chat

You're on Page 2 of 9
Go to
  • But I don't want to go to the doctor. She told me I was good until Jan.
    Guess I'd better go while I still have insurance.
    I have had fibroids in the past and have had irregular bleeding and had some other tests ran but all came back fine. Guess I was just hoping for menopause.
    CandEs you spelled fibroids correctly. The spell check must not recognize it.

I don't want to cut out all the bread either. My bread is 5 carbs per slice. But I may have to consider that to get my sugar down.

The temp for tomorrow is supposed to be 78. That will be wonderful.

Hope everyone has a great weekend

Leann
  • HI LADIES ~ so nice to see so many of you pop in here this month. I have been very busy lately too -- I had to start three threads and for some reason this site has been giving me ad grief. My security programs have been in a battle almost every time I came on this site over the last few weeks. It seems to be finally settling down tonight. What used to take me a few minutes can take up to 2 or more hours (what a drag); and I don't always have that much time, so I had to leave it and come back another time/day.

LEANN ~ I have to 2nd and 3rd the others who think you should see a doctor just in case; but it is true that different ladies have different symptoms as they go into peri-menopause and menopause. I had sporadic menses that were long and heavy, but always had extra time in between them. When I was younger they were more regular; but they really started to act up in my late forties.

Maybe becuz I am eating better and have lost weight, they seem to be normalizing again, and I will be turning 52 soon (here I thought they would be gone by now; and I also had terrible hot flashes: still do now & then so hot, humid weather really bothers me).

Quote:
    She said, "If I eat bread, I don't eat potatoes. If I eat potatoes, I don't eat bread".
    TRISH ~ that is not the first time that I have heard that old adage; another lady here said that she wouldn't eat bread, potatoes, and/or rice in the same day either. Some believe that you shouldn't have more than one starch or grain carb in the same meal or day -- but not everyone can stick to that.

I have doing well, but today for some reason, I seemed overly hungry. I did get a lot of exercise trimming around my apple trees and my camper yesterday. No excuses though; just having a carb tuff day, I think -- but at least I didn't go over my daily total calories, so it will be a maintenance day instead of WL day. Thank goodness I did so well for the earlier part of the day.

I did get some extra walking in today as well; as we went up town to pay bills and I went book hunting at our local second-hand shop, which is a fairly big place. I managed to find an armful of books to read over the next while. I love to have lots of books to read for the fall and long winter we have here.

We managed to get about 3 baskets of green beans so far and our flowers were a great success in our south and west gardens. The brown-eyed Susans are very showy and they bloom continuously too. I even got some apples on my little crab apple tree and they are a bright red right now.

Hope you all have a lovely LABOR DAY WEEKEND too ... Rosebud
  • Rosebud I guess I will be making an appt with the doctor. I did some research on the web about irregular bleeding and being perimenopausal. They all seem to agree that you start having more time between your cycles and not closer like mine have been and that only makes sense so I guess I'll have to go.
    I just hate going thru all of this again. But better to know what is going on than to be stupid and end up with something bad and prolonging treatment.

Thanks to everyone who has an input in this and helped me to realize that it could be something more serious than menopause.

Leann
  • Good morning and happy Labour Day Weekend to everyone.

I'm back from my holiday and faced the scale this morning. It is not happy with me so my body and I are going onto Phase I of South Beach for a week or so. While I was on holiday. My FBGL was not good for me - in the 7s - so cutting carbs has to happen. I will be in Italy four weeks from today and doubt that I can avoid carbs there!

Back later to read. I'm was glad to see a September thread started.
  • BACK, RUTH ~ hope you had a nice time, even with the food/sugar issues. You will get back on track in no time, I'm sure ...

I made a nice pot of beef barley & vegetable soup for lunch; and we had fish, home fries, and salad for dinner tonight. It all day here, so we just stayed home and vegged out ...

• Good morning!

It was so good to get up this morning and test my blood. After a week of 7's, it was 4.1! That just proves what clean eating can do. Weight was down a tad too.

The gym is closed for the long weekend but my treadmill is sitting upstairs looking lonely. I am going to give it some attention shortly before I go to Church. I certainly think about that much more than actually do it! It's time to get the legs in shape for Italy in less than four weeks.

Happy Labour Day weekend!
  • Back Ruth Glad you had a good holiday and your BS and weight are back down.

Leann Glad you are going to see a doctor about your situation. I think it is wise to do that and I'll keep you in my prayers that it will something simple.

Rosebud The beef soup sounds good. I've just read good things about barley too. I've never used it much, but I love soups when the weather turns cool and it will definitely be adding barley in them.

I'm trying to get back into getting a good night sleep. I slept almost 8 hours the last 2 nights and my FBS was down below 120. I'm learning that I have to get more sleep to help lower the blood sugar. I have a problem of sleeping so will definitely discuss that with the doctor at next visit. I don't like taking sleeping pills, but have resorted to taking half of one I get at Walmart. I hope he can help with this so I may not have to take the meds all the time. Even taking half, I have to make myself stay in bed a full 8 hrs. Usually end up with 7 or 7 and a half. I've settled into my calories being between 1200 and 1400 and have my carbs 4 to 6 servings a day and it is working so far. Blood sugar is lower than doctor wants it. I know they say you shouldn't eat less than 1200 calories a day, but there are days I do well to get 1000 because I'm not really hungry those days. Then there are days that I seem to need up to 1400 although not often so I'm just rolling with it. I've decided that my body seems to like the shifting of the calories. I gained a few pounds at first when I added more carbs, but now that my body is adjusting to the "good/healthy" carbs I seem to be losing a 1/2 to 1 lbs a day. As long as it works for FBS and scales going down, I'm fine with it. I'm going to ask the doctor about the 1000 calorie days.

CandEs and Lindy and Everyone else
  • Hi, everyone!

Hi, Ruth, glad you had a nice vacation!

Hey, Rosebud, that soup sounds good. I wish someone would make it for me, though. I have a sore throat and soup sounds good.

Hey, Trish! I have trouble sleeping, too. I think it goes hand-in-hand with diabetes.

Leann, it can't hurt to check it out. If it's nothing, then no harm done, except maybe to your wallet.

Well, I've had a stressful weekend. One of my chickens is sick and I'm really worried. We just bought chickens in February, so I don't know a whole lot about them. She seems a lot better now, but I was just frantic with worry. What the heck do you do for a sick chick? I've been all over the internet looking for answers. I didn't realize how upset I would be to lose one. She is one of our favorites. She has always, even as a baby chick, been so friendly, so that is what we call her, "Friendly."

Anyway, to me. *sigh* I ate a piece of pizza yesterday. Yeah, I know it's a no-no. It was sooo good, though, and I was sooo hungry. Anyway, I got up this morning and my BS was 111!! I guess I thought I might be okay because before bed it was 107. I thought for sure it would go down. I was wrong.

Anyway, my DH has been working all weekend. Such a bummer!! But, he does need the work. He is self-employed. Hopefully, tomorrow we will do something. Or, I will, I guess.

Have a nice holiday, everyone!!
  • am back from my weekend away. DOn't invite chefs to the cottage. I didn't cook all weekend, and he did his best to help me low-carb, (even tho DH didn't tell him about that or about my food allergies!, even tho the chef asked!) but I had a few cheats. I did a fair amount of walking, but my back was sore, and there was rain and some cool weather, so not enough I think. We will see what the scale says in the morning. I won't post much more, lots of reading to catch up on and lots of LAUNDRY to do. DD is back for last year of high school starting tomorrow. This time next year, I will be moving her to university!
  • Well, it for most of the weekend: cold & windy too; seems it is either hot & humid or cold & wet ... Then 'ole MR. came out today (after many earnest prayers) to give us some warmth ... finally! Brought the temps up into the sixties for us.

We went up to our lot to visit my Dad & SM for the last time as they were going home today. We took up a nice healthy dinner of BBQ spit chicken and salads. I picked some more beans and we had it with some leftovers for tonight's dinner too. Veggies sure help to fill you up quickly.

Will now go put my legs up for a while and do some reading and maybe a little crocheting as well. Have a wonderful week everyone ... Rosebud
  • Early good morning. I woke at two and finally got up. My brain seems to be in overdrive!

Not a great weekend here with cold and rain. The Village sort of died as people packed up their cottages and headed home. This morning is the first school bus day and the dogs and I will wait at the corner to see off the kids and comfort (some of) the mothers.

Veggies! Veggies! Veggies! I made a huge pot of soup on Sunday and really enjoyed it yesterday. Today I will have it for lunch and then freeze the rest. It's that time of year. My raised bed is still producing armloads of chard, tomatoes and green and yellow beans and the new beans are setting buds. If we don't have a killing frost, I may have green beans from the garden for Thanksgiving.

Hmmm....maybe soup for breakfast this chilly morning?
  • well Ruth, seeing you post comforts me. Thanks to the miracle of 5htp, I was able to get back to sleep when I woke up at 3, and since I am not retired yet, I need the sleep to function for work. I am not sleeping very well again. I went off my antidepressants in August while on holiday, and feel emotionally fine. I don't think I have needed them for depression for a couple of years actually, (went thru a bit of blue time when oldest daughter left home, and they were helpful dealing with the stress when my parents were very ill) but really, I seem to need them still for help with sleep.
    Ladies, those who have completed menopause, did the hot flashes and insomnia continue long after the periods stopped. I have pretty much stopped for the last year, (last regular period last September) tho I had two little episodes of spotting just when Mum died and two weeks later at her funeral, which I associated with stress more than anything else. Otherwise, I seem to be done, at not quite 49 years old. Its fine with me, I am not unhappy about menopause, but not thrilled to still have other symptoms that are making life difficult. I can live with the hot flashes more easily than insomnia. I don't really like being on the zoloft. Its a very low dose, very few side effects, (except helps me sleep, though it doesn't seem to make me sleepy, if that makes sense). But I just don't want to take it. Enough already.
    But the sleep getting worse has been a gradual thing. It is definitely worse since I started back to work after holidays. I will be off call, tho working through most of October, I think I will try to tough it out this month without the zoloft and see if its better when I am not on call. Maybe its my mind and not my brain. LOL, maybe I am over-analyzing this. anyhow.
    There seems to be a weight gain, with eating a bit off plan on the weekend.
    It looks like I am over 170. I may wait a day or two to see what happens, since it doesn't make sense that I could gain a couple of pounds over 4 days. (like we tell the bingers, probably a lot is water retention). THough I don't think I ate anything that might cause water retention.
    Back to induction today anyhow. I really want to get this weight off.
    thanks for the reminder Ruth, I will check out the veggie garden to see whats still growing. We lost the tomatoes to blight tho, so they are gone.
  • fatmad I have problems sleeping too. I by OTC sleeping pills, but hate taking them because I feel dragged out the next day. I am trying taking half a pill instead of a whole one now. I feel for you going through this. I'm also having a bouncing between 2 lbs right now instead of scales moving on down, so I too am back on induction today.

Ruth Your soup makes me want to make some homemade soup as well, but still to hot for soup. It is so sweet of you to see to the children and their mothers at the bus stop. You are such a "special" lady.

Y'all have a great Tuesday.
  • Hello

Just a quick check in this morning.

I too have trouble sleeping. Not going to sleep, but waking up around 2. I usually just go on the computer or watch TV for a while and then go back to bed. DH goes to work at 5 so it's not to hard to go back to sleep.

Getting ready for our trip to Phoenix. We will be away for 2 weeks and I'm looking forward to it. Our DF is coming to house sit and look after our two dogs, so that will give us one less thing to worry about. Taking another 2 friends with us so we should have a good time. Our DS has a house down there and is letting us use it.

Anyway have a a great day.
  • HI LADIES ~ had a good on plan day today; even had room for some toast & PB with my tea tonight. We had mostly today too; there may be a little sun tomorrow and Friday, but rain for the rest of the week, which is actually fairly normal for this area at this time of year -- we usually get spring and fall rain here.

We had that beef & barley soup/stew for dinner tonight; nice for a cold & wet day. Just added in some more leftovers (mostly veggies) and it was quite hardy and filling. Got lots of walking in today and did quite a bit of stuff around here today; very busy.

Time to go put my tired feet up and rest them a bit; have a great week ... Rosebud