Frantic!

• Got Letter from Physician Today..my A1C was 10.3,which would correlate with an average BS of 257.He went onto say this is nowhere near what we would like to see (Hemoglobin A1C of 7.0).Since we just increased your Metformin dose, I will hold off recommending the institution of Insulin for now, but I would recommend that you start setting your mind in this direction since it appears to me that Insulin is imminent for appropriate care of your Disease.
  • So... how about some background? What areas are you wanting to work on? Sort of hard to give suggestions without knowing your situation. What's your eating habits like? Exercise habits?

I know it can sound scary, but I also know it can be turned around. MY SIL got up to insulin & Glucophage and is now off all meds. I got up to 2000 mg Glucophage for insulin resistance/prediabetes and I'm now free too.

Keep in mind that A1C's are like a snapshot of the last 3 mos, so if you already started making some changes, to show up on the tests well may take a bit. So don't get discouraged!

You can do it!

GL!
    A.
  • Astrophe,
    August 12,2008, my non-FBS (on Meter at Home) was 226. October 2008, my A1C was 8.2. I brought A1C's down to 7.1,6.4,6.8, then April 2010, it was 9, and recently 10.3!! I am a single Woman with a comfortable income, but got "screwed" over financially by a Woman. Because of what she did, I pay well over US$1,000.00 extra per Month.After ALL Bills are paid, there is no Money to buy Food. I have to resort to an Eatery where the owner lets me charge Food. I try to choose wisely, however, they don't have a lot to offer. I stay active and busy, but it's to humid to walk the Track, and no Money to join a Fitness Center. There is a free Fitness Center 31 Miles from my Home, yet I cannot afford the Gas to drive there/back 3 times per Week. Before Dinner last Night, my BS was 162! Ecstatic that I cried!! For Dinner, I ate grilled Chicken, Salad (no Dressing) and 1/2 C Cottage Cheese. Haven't checked my BS this Morning, but am keeping Fingers crossed it will be another better #. I'm praying that I too can turn it around like you and your SIL.
  • butter, just keep on with your metformin, keep walking whenever possible and don't give up. I don't know if credit counselling would help with your situation, ( I think you said not, when it was discussed before) but given time, things WILL get better when you are choosing wisely. I am SURE the stress had made things worse, and you haven't been doing the metformin for long so give it time. best wishes
  • Fatmad,
    Continuing the Metformin, but re-added 1,000 MCG "GTF" Chromium, 100 MG Alpha-Lipoic Acid and 100 MG Coenzyme Q10 (with my largest Meal). Chromium is a Trace Element that plays a role in Blood Sugar regulation. It works with Insulin to help transport Glucose into Cells. ALA is an Antioxidant that can enhance Glucose uptake, inhibit Glycosylation (the non-Enyzmatic attachment of Sugar to Protein), and help promote and maintain Eye Health. Coenzyme Q10 is a powerful Antioxidant which may help maintain a healthy Heart. I feel it crucial to take Coenzyme Q10 with Metformin. Metformin can deplete Coenzyme Q10 as well as B12 and Folate. I return to School in a few Day's, so will inquire if there is a Fitness Center offered on Campus. Credit Counseling won't help. What would've helped is if I could've borrowed a lump sum of Money from my Bank and had 1 Monthly payment. My FBS was 171, and when I checked before Lunch, it was 155! Time, patience, time and patience! I don't give up, yet it seems my Physician does! I just may give him a learning experience!!