Old 08-02-2010, 03:35 AM   #1  
Woman on mission!

Height: 5'9

Unhappy Another Metformin increase!

Went for my routine Appointment July 28, and my Physician increased Metformin from 850 MG's twice Daily to 1,000 MG's twice Daily! July 31st, I had the Scrip filled and bought Test Strips. Before calibrating and performing Test Control Solution on Meter, I checked my BS with a remaining Strip. It was 197..8 minutes later using a new Test Strip, it jumped 37 MG's/dL to 234!!! Yesterday Evening, my BS was 243, then 213. I hadn't eaten since 6:30 AM-7:00 AM and was active (hot and sweaty)! I've got from now until late October to re-normalize my BS, or it will more than likely be Insulin next time

This Lab, Physician ordered a SED. I'm almost hoping it WILL be elevated, so we can put our Heads together to figure out why I'm having elevated BS!

Last edited by Butter_Butt; 08-02-2010 at 03:37 AM.
Butter_Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:36 AM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I used to take 2000... and now I'm IR free. My SIL was on insulin and she's lost weight and come off her stuff too. You can do this!

Start with a close look at your food log.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 08-02-2010 at 09:36 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #3  
Woman on mission!

Astrophe,
Do you still take Metformin?I'm gonna give the South Beach Diet a go.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:38 PM   #4  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I'd highly recommend south beach or something like that, the lower carb really has helped me bring my sugars down. I suspect that not eating will cause your sugars to rise, you release stored sugars. I do this with strenuous exercise too. hope the increase in metformin will also help you. go for it.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:17 AM   #5  
Woman on mission!

Fatmad,
I'm gonna do SB, but will have to substitute/exchange Foods. I can't find Mahi Mahi or Boston Lettuce around here! Sometimes I go many hours without eating, so I'm sure it is a contributing factor in elevated BS..
Old 08-06-2010, 07:24 AM   #6  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default exchanges

Butterbutt, there shouldn't be any trouble with exchanging one good food for another, in any diet plan. I have several food allergies and intolerances and have had to substitute things, and can usually do it without problems.
I am sure your south beach book has a list of appropriate lettuces (like romaine) and fish (like tuna) that you can substitute.
my biggest problem is with needing to home make more foods when I am busy working and get overtired. My hubby and daughter do some cooking, but not the things I want, and they are limited in their interest and abilities.

I hope your family will help as much as possible for you. I am really glad to keep hearing from you and know things will continue to get better as you go.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #7  
Woman on mission!

Fatmad,
When I can afford SBD, in place of Foods I can't purchase, I'm going to sub. Oh yes, the Book lists Romaine, Tuna etc.. It is difficult Cooking for 1 Person, and when I start School this Week, I'm really gonna have to plan my Meals wisely. I will be on Campus all Day 2 Day's per Week, so I'm conjuring up a Lunch plan. I don't want to eat from the Campus Cafeteria due to Calories and expense. The remaining Family I have don't give a $h*t about me! Thank you so much for all the support. I'm gonna do all I can with all I have!