Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:42 PM   #16  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

MADELEINE ~ I am 51 yy and am having the same issues as you with my menses. I started peri-menopause around 46 y/o; and I also get them only every 3-4 months or so. This last one was a doozy and it was not fun at all. It was so bad that I had to stay home for about a week to rest; it lasted a very long time too (1.5 weeks +) -- probably becuz of the long span in between. Thankfully, it's over now and I'm feeling a lot better. BTW, I up my vitamins during those times and try to eat extra healthy stuff, just in case it helps some. Hope you are feeling better soon ...
Old 07-10-2010, 07:18 AM   #17  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

My sympathies, Ladies. I remember it well although it's in the distant past.

Been doing OK lately despite the heat with good readings. Last night I forgot my meds though and ended up with a 7.2 this morning. It's nice to feel OK about waiting a bit for breakfast.

Weight has been up and down a lot - heat makes me retain water badly - but I am on plan and drinking lots of water.

Enjoy the weekend.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #18  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I seem to be able to take my metformin earlier in the day, and the gas is not as bad as it was before. Overall, with time, I am tolerating it better. BUT, I do get the leg cramps and pains if I forget my B vitamins. They make it tolerable to continue, but I am pleased the gas is better.
My sugars have been great, going to get my A1C drawn tomorrow and see what 3 months on the metformin has done for me.
I should know by the end of the week where I am at.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:58 AM   #19  
Come on Spring!

Fatmad, Happy HA1C Day! It'll be interesting to see the results.

My weight is still yo-yoing. I seem to be messing around with the same three pounds this month but FBGL is solidly stable so I'll try not to fret. I am loaded with raspberries and green beans are nearly ready so food has been good. My BBQ is finally fixed. Grilled veggies here I come!
Old 07-13-2010, 04:34 PM   #20  
Rosebud

Am doing well; sticking to my plan, and making some small changes here and there. Am loving working with my flower gardens: great exercise for me. Most of them are blossoming right now; just waiting on the painted daisies which I can see some buds forming. The bluebells are nice and green; but the bells haven't shown up just yet.

I was surprised to see that I had apples on my crab apple tree; not big or ripe and will have to check how many. Not likely enuff to make anything yet though; but I was still tickled pink to see them anyways.

As I was just telling someone else, this has been a big dream of mine; to grow fruit and flowers and bushes and plants (perennials) on our own lot and here where we live too. I am learning a lot and enjoying them too.

Today, I had a vegetarian lunch to change things up a bit; great for a summer day. I was thinking about what ELLEN told us that when she switched to a vegetarian menu that her sugars started to come down.

I have a theory ~ that maybe becuz her body is now using up the CARBS AS A PROTEIN SUBSTITUTE -- that is bringing her blood sugar levels back in line. It kinda makes sense to me. We may find that different plans will work for people with different body types.

Hope you all have a great week ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 07-13-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:47 AM   #21  
Come on Spring!

Rosebud, gardening is good for your soul and body in so many ways. I love the peace I feel when working in mine.

I'm having a wonderfully serene week because I have two extra dogs visiting. That means I'm around the house a lot and am getting odds and sods off my list. I'm ignoring the scale and focusing on the BGL and water.

May your Hump Day be just a gentle slope day.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #22  
Madeleine

COuldn't find my lab requisitions yet, so haven't done the A1C. Perhaps tomorrow. It will have been 3 months since starting the metformin. Here's hoping. However, today I had a fasting of 5.8 (still a bit high, haven't taken a fasting sugar for a while, I realized, am only checking sugars twice a week lately, and usually ac or pc).
Also, due to ongoing problems with constipation (sorry probably TMI) I had a high fibre breakfast. No added sugar, but had one brick of shredded wheat, and some fibre one with milk. Pc sugar at 1 hour was 9.8 and at 2 hours was 8.0
So in spite of the metformin I am obviously still very sensitive to ANY carbs, even lower glycemic things. This is really disappointing, I was hoping to go off the metformin to kick up the weight loss.
Well, exercise can increase
Old 07-16-2010, 09:37 PM   #23  
Rosebud

MADELEINE ~ I found that after awhile the Metformin didn't keep my blood sugar levels down as well as at the start. For me, the best thing to lower mine are healthy eating but more exercise, like walking helped the most. I am now off the Met but my sugar levels are the same as when I was on it and I don't have the ravenous side effects that I had before.

I was thinking that maybe some protein with only 1 serving of high fiber cereal like the Fiber One or All-bran or All-bran flakes might work better. OR, an egg with one slice of high-fiber whole grain toast.

The other thing I have been wondering while listening to diabetes patients comment in this forum is this ... do you really have to get your blood sugar levels down that low to be considered normal or in control?

Someone told me anywhere around 7.0 is considered normal and good; but others say anything under 9.0 is OK too. Like for CASANDRA, whose body doesn't produce any insulin at all, so she has to take some to use up the xtra sugars in her blood, but for the rest of us -- is it more about balanced and reasonable numbers? Just wondering ...

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend ... Rosebud
Old 07-16-2010, 10:19 PM   #24  
Madeleine

Quote:
The other thing I have been wondering while listening to diabetes patients comment in this forum is this ... do you really have to get your blood sugar levels down that low to be considered normal or in control?

Someone told me anywhere around 7.0 is considered normal and good; but others say anything under 9.0 is OK too. Like for CASANDRA, whose body doesn't produce any insulin at all, so she has to take some to use up the xtra sugars in her blood, but for the rest of us -- is it more about balanced and reasonable numbers? Just wondering ...

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend ... Rosebud
I think it depends what your goals are. I want to have sugars that are "normal" for someone without diabetes. I have pre-diabetes (or did) and to consider it reversed, I would need sugars that imply I don't have it anymore.
That is what I have been trying to do, reverse the diabetes while it is still possible. Of course, I understand, that even if I do everything right, I may still not reverse it, or even progress on to true diabetes.
My other goal (and my absolute goal) is to prevent damage to my body from diabetes. The damage, (such as neuropathy, heart disease etc) happens with sugars that are too high. The actual number of "too high" depends on the research we read, but generally, the close we can keep to non-diabetic numbers, the less likely we are to have damage.
My administrator's husband is dealing with the effects of not keeping control for several years. He has a foot ulcer that hasn't healed after two years, lost his job as a result, and has had two small amputations of part of his foot. So I have some pretty good idea of what I want to avoid. I prefer to keep my numbers very tight.
(ps, I always have protein and a bit of fat with meals, but even so, the grain carbs spike me no matter what. )
Old 07-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #25  
Rosebud

Quote:
I have pre-diabetes (or did) and to consider it reversed, I would need sugars that imply I don't have it anymore.
Quote:
My other goal (and my absolute goal) is to prevent damage to my body from diabetes.

YES, I am/was in the same boat as you (pre-diabetic); my numbers are in a steady ^under^ 7.0 range, even now that I am off the Metformin, so I am very grateful for that. That was the goal of my doctor and myself from the start: to keep full-blown diabetes and it's damaging effects at bay ...

Quote:
ps, I always have protein and a bit of fat with meals, but even so, the grain carbs spike me no matter what.
Ya, many people have that problem; your body must be very sensitive to them. I always had to watch for dips too though (hypo-dips, I call them); so eating every 2-3 hours helps me -- and eating protein and some good fats are a priority for me as well.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hello Ladies,

Well, I guess I belong here with you guys as I was diagnosed with diabetes T2 last month. It wasn't extremely high, but the A1c was a little above 7. The doctor put me on Metformin 500 and my numbers came down but were all over the place. And my blood pressure was up. My blood pressure was coming down so he didn't change my bp meds when I went to see him last Friday, but he doubled the Metformin to 1000. Blood work came back and my good cholesterol was low and triglycerides were too high. So I'm on meds for that as well. I ordered Atkins book and I'm reading it while I have started Atkins Induction today.

DH was diagnosed with it Friday as well although he isn't on meds for it yet. He has other issues and the doctor thinks his could be caused by the fact that he has had so many blood tests taken for different doctors during the past month, however, I think he is going to have to make some decisions about what he is going to do. He is dealing with the fact right now of shock that he even has diabetes.

I don't understand how I can have a BS reading of 112 mg/dl at night and wake up to a 123 mg/dl. I was diagnosed with diabetes back in the late 80s and controlled it for years with diet and exercise. Meds were different then. I like the new meds, just not used to how they work.

Have a good day.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 07-19-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #27  
Rosebud

TRISH ~ during the night your body uses up or distributes the nutrients you have eaten during the day; the stomach ones go first, but the rest go through your intestines.

Also, that may be "the DAWN EFFECT" at play there. Your sugar was at 7.0/112 when you went to bed, then it goes down as you sleep; around 3 AM, your body then dumps some insulin into your body and you end up with a higher reading in the morning. This happened to me all the time, and I would get those hypo-dips almost exactly at 3 AM; becuz they would wake me up and whoa, talk about dizzy.

So ... to counteract that, I made sure to have a small snack before bed (usually protein like cheese, but sometimes a couple of wheat crackers with PB or cheese; or half an apple or yogurt, etc).

Had busy day up at our lot (where our camping trailer is parked right now); so I got lots of exercise in today and ate well. I am thrilled that we got so much done, but am very tired and sore now. I will rest really good tomorrow to make up for that. Have a great week ... Rosebud
Old 07-20-2010, 06:52 AM   #28  
Come on Spring!

Pattygirl.

The heat and humidity are giving me yo-yo weights these days. It's strange how water retention increases in heat - probably a body defense mechanism. My ticker is back to being truthful this morning. BGL has been great lately although there have been a few morning lows from not enough carbs with dinner. I know better.

Every morning "gym" pops up on my daily calendar and every morning I hit delete. My excuse is that I'm really busy and that the AC in the gym is cruddy. HOWEVER.....I am not busy between 7:30 and 8:30 most mornings and the air is cooler then so I'd better put on my Big Girl panties and get back at it. The hilly village of Amelia in Umbria is going to be a challenge in October. I'll be cooking and eating Italian for a week so ....

On with the day...... and I can't do the gym this morning because I need to leave for Kingston in ½ hour with a water sample for the lab - our Fair opens Thursday and we failed a water test! The guy who operates then lemonade stand will not be pleased.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Morning Ladies,

My BP is back down below 120/80 which is actually normal for me. My BP was alway lower until the past few months. Fast BS was 120 mg/dl which is an improvement from the 195 when I saw the doctor the first time last month. Just doesn't come down really fast does it? But I am thankful it is down where it is. It was 108 mg/dl 2 hours after my main meal yesterday so I think I'm making progress. I put my weight ticker back on my signature and was nice to see that I've lost 12 lbs so far this year. I think it helps to see that. I'm on Atkins Induction Day 2 so hopefully things will get even better.

Ruth Thanks for the Welcome. I am doing a little exercise here and there during the day but not all at once. Once during the day, I use my stationary bike although I barely make 2 minutes on it right now. I figure starting to do anything is good and my goal is to do at least 15 min a day. I know that the true answer for me and the control of my BS is to do exercise first thing in the morning, but right now I just don't have the energy. I hope that as the Induction stage of Atkins takes affect maybe I will get the energy to get back to that.

Rosebud I remember reading in Metabolism Miracle that we need to eat a snack before going to bed because the liver dumps insulin in the body during sleep, but then would forget to do it when I go to bed. Thanks for reminding me. She said some people even have to eat a snack in the middle of the night if they wake up. I did eat a cheese stick before going to bed last night and will continue to do that. I never did the middle of the night snack because I didn't want to make a habit of eating during the night, but maybe I'm wrong on that one. I'll have to see how things go with the Atkins Induction phase first. I may have to change my mind and eat the cheese stick when I wake up in the middle of the night.

Have a great Tuesday Everybody.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 280/275/150

Height: 5' 4"

Smile Hello

Been awhile since I checked in anywhere.

Glad for the info on dawn effect. I too have that and never remember
what to do. Went to doc yesterday, A1C was 5.9, only a .1 higher than last time. Don't have to go back for 6 months.

I too keep track like Trish with my BS. 120, ect. Is the other way just like the A1C? How do you know where your at, sugar wise?

I have the Zumba Fitness dvd, latin dancing. It's fun; but, I'm not very good at it. Too much to swing around. I do feel better and a smidge tighter.

I'm a type 2 on insulin and pills. Lantes, humolog, januvia, & others.
Feeling pretty good tho-except for humidity.
Closed Thread