Old 05-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 376/319/170

Height: 5'2

Lightbulb I found a new way to eat Frozen fruit!

Well, it's probably not new to you guys, but it is to me! Last month, I bought a bag of no sugar added frozen peaches and strawberries. I made a smoothie, it didn't fill me up and the fruit sat in the freezer for weeks. That's before I discovered the joys of microwaving frozen fruit!

For my breakfast, I had the "weight control" oatmeal and put on warmed up peaches. *drools*.. it was so good. For lunch, I warmed up strawberries and mixed it with my yogurt. Yummmmmmmmmy. When the fruit is heated, it releases it's "juice" so I always feel like I'm eating some sort of sinful fruit topping but I'm not! It also solves my "15 carb snack problem" because a serving of frozen fruit is a bit under 15 carbs and I could possibly sneak a dollop of SF cool whip on top too!

This does raise a question for me though. Is there such thing as eating too much fruit? I mean, isn't eating a serving of fruit under 15carbs better for me than eating a 100calorie pack or something like that? I'm not a huge veggie person, but I know I'm going to be eating a lot more fruit now. I just want to make sure I'm not making a terrible error. The dietician had told me that if half or more of a food's "total carbs" are sugar, you'd probably want to stay away from it. This is different with fruit since it's natural sugars, right? Also, she did want me eating fruits and veggies.. so...

Opinions? What do you guys do with frozen fruit?
heather_dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 300/265/175

Height: 5'8

I heat up the frozen strawberries to put over our pancakes. We LOVE it and no need to use syrup that is loaded with sugar and calories (We don't like the taste of SF syrup)! I've also used frozen fruit for a dessert with a little SF cool whip....yum!
Trinity1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #3  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I LOVE frozen cherries warmed up and mixed with vanilla yogurt. Heaven! I will also warm the fruit and sprinkle a bit of wheat germ or dry cereal on it. I also put warmed berries on pancakes and waffles. I thaw frozen fruit and blend it with some greek yogurt for a healthier fruit spread than jelly. If you like cream of wheat then warmed fruit is good in that.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:07 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I make my oatmeal in the microwave with frozen blueberries - yummy!

Remember that the "sugar" in fruit is fructose, not sucrose. I don't know if that makes a difference to your dietician. I'd just go ahead and enjoy but try to get in more veggies too.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:24 AM   #5  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I take my lunch to work with a FIt and Fresh Lunch and Go. It has two smaller boxes, and one large box. When I pack my lunch the night before, I'll often put plain greek yogurt in one of the smaller boxes, and put frozen mixed berries on top, then stick it in the fridge until I pack my bag in the morning. By the time I get to lunch that day, the berries have thawed and made a wonderful juice/sauce on top of the yogurt. Greek yogurt is pretty thick, and it takes some getting used to the unsweetened kind. With the berries, I enjoy it very much. Sometimes I'll budget in the carbs for a few tablespoons of granola for crunch. But it's the berries that really make the difference.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #6  
Proud Y Chromosome Member

S/C/G: 285/231/under 150 (normal BMI)

Height: 5'5"

I've never nuked or thawed my frozen fruit. I will definitely have to give it a try. I always have unsweetened frozen whole strawberries in the freezer. Each day I have a protein smoothie for breakfast. The frozen strawberries are great tasting and don't cause a spike. Since I've started jogging regularly, I've been able to add an unripened banana to my smoothies for the extra boost in energy. In the past, any amount of banana would cause too much of a spike, but things have changed for the better.
diabetic z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 376/319/170

Height: 5'2

My dietician called today to verify my Monday appointment, so I asked her about the frozen fruit. She said that as long as it's "store bought" so that it has nutritional info AND I make sure that I'm measuring out servings and not just eating a ton, that it would be fine. I told her that for 1cup of either peaches or strawberries, it's 13gcarbs and she seemed surprised "That's perfect for your snack slots, then" she said. She said it does have more than half of it's carbs from sugar, but it's natural sugar, so it's alright. I said "It's better than eating a 100 calorie pack" and she said "oh yes, definitely!".

I'll talk to her more about it (and some other questions I have) on Monday. I'm so excited. Hubby brought home a brand new bag of frozen peaches because I went through the fruit I had. The last few days, I've had it at least twice a day.
heather_dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #8  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

My daughter also loves the frozen blueberries. She eats them frozen, like little bursts of sweet ice.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote