3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Diabetes Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support-203/)
-   -   Chatting about Diabetes - SPRING 2009 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/167272-chatting-about-diabetes-spring-2009-a.html)

meowee 03-20-2009 09:21 AM

Chatting about Diabetes - SPRING 2009

Okay everybody . . . the glorious SPRINGTIME SEASON is officially here now . . . so here is a new place for our chatting enjoyment.

This is the place to check in regularly, share and receive support, and get to know one another. Lets encourage one another all we can as we live day to day with this disease.

We are glad you are here! If you are a newbie, please feel free to join right in! And don't forget to go an add a bio in the Getting to Know You thread up in the Sticky area.

meowee 03-20-2009 09:39 AM

Good going VERMONTCHICK . . . read about your good FBGL and BP numbers over in the Winter thread before I closed it. Dont' forget to subscribe to this new one so it will be easier for you to find it.

Well . . . looking our my windows this morning . . . it's not yet as sunny as it has been but the temperatures are destined to be in the 'not too bad' range by this afternoon. On the down note; 'they' are calling for snow on Monday/Tuesday; but, let's face it, a lot can change before then, especially at this time of year. :lol:

So how did you celebrate today ??? I decided to take down the blankie I use to cover the drafty westerly facing door on my sunroom. Probably jumped the gun a little because as I sit in front of it right now, I definitely feel that silly draft leaking in -- but it looks so much more Spring-like. :yes:

After my terrific BGL reading yesterday morning, I'm back in the nasty range - 9 / 162 this morning - and I swear I did nothing differently overnight. :shrug: As a matter of fact, my bedtime number was better than the night before.

No exciting plans for me today . . . may go out for a little while just because I can. Hope the sun comes out soon because it rained all day yesterday and I want to see the :sunny:.

Have a great Friday everybody . . . :grouphug:

VermontChick 03-20-2009 02:21 PM

Hey Meowee: I am sorry to hear about your readings! Mine were high by normal standards, but not for me. This morning I was 189. Two weeks ago when I went to the doctor and was diagnosed I was in the 400's. So it can only get better.

I am hoping that by losing weight (my goal is to lose 150lbs) I will be able to cotrol this disease without the yucky metformin.

How often does the doctor recommend you exercise if you're diabetic? I have been doing it every day, I think that may be the concensus.

It's getting a little bit better every day, but I am still depressed that I am going to have this disease for the rest of my life.

Ruthxxx 03-20-2009 02:43 PM

Sending you a bit of sunshine for tomorrow, Meowee. Sorry about the crappy BGL - you do go to the doc Monday, don't you.

Vermont Chick, nobody likes the diagnosis but at least you know now, not when things have passed the controllable point. The Metformin side effects will pass. It is encouraging to see your readings improve, isn't it? Exercise is fine and recommended for us "Sugar Babes" and an hour a day is great. Hang in there.

My reading was 6.2 or 111.6 this morning but the weight blipped up a wee bit. I think the salt in the tabbouleh was the culprit. I hope to see it blip the other way tomorrow.

I'm very tired this afternoon but am going outside to rake a bit although I'd prefer a nice nap. Hmmm -maybe I can work in both.

moonkissed 03-20-2009 05:21 PM

Happy Spring everyone!! It is so chilly here, it even snowed last night eek. Didn;t stick around by the morning though. I decided to take a short walk to celebrate it being spring. I didnt get very far but it was nice and next time I will go farther.

I lost 2.2lbs this week :carrot: and my blood sugars have been great. Though I am slacking off and I keep forgetting to test after meals ugh. After lunch I am so busy and after dinner I am so sleepy I just forget lol. I am trying to remember though so I can get a better idea of how I am doing.

I got a free skin for my tester from the company that made it. Purple with kitties my two favorite things lol. Silly but cute. And then I discovered on accident that it keeps track of weekly, 14 day and monthly averages of my blood sugar lol. How neat. I have an 89 for 7 day, 86 for 14 days, and 81 for 30 days.

I hope everyone is having a lovely spring day and feeling wonderful! :hug:

VermontChick 03-20-2009 06:14 PM

exercising an hour a day??? no way do i do that...should i be? i've been doing about 20 minutes every day.

i hit another record BS low today - 137. still pretty damn high, but probably the lowest i have been in at least two years. i suspect i had diabetes for a while before it was caught :(

oh, and i am happy to report that i am now out of the 300's....299.4 in fact. it's been about five years since i weighed that little.

i am so going to meet my goal of 150 :)

Ruthxxx 03-20-2009 06:54 PM

Sorry, VermontChick, I didn't read carefully! I'm old, you know. An hour a day would be great but not easy to work in. The best I ever get is a half hour walk. Good work on the weightloss.

Blasphemie, I'm north of you but we let you guys have the snow. :lol: Your BGL levels are looking good. My meter keeps track too.

akrosey49 03-20-2009 08:20 PM

Hi everyone..sunny here and cold my sl was 94 this am..ive been testing at odd times to see if my #'s are staying in line and they are :carrot: its a frustrating disease for all of us.. my dh was complaining that i dont bake any more so i made him chocolate chip cookies and then i eat one and make him put the rest in a top cupboard that i cant reach :dizzy: works for me hope u all have a fun weekend :hug: rosey :wave:

meowee 03-21-2009 10:56 AM

:wave:

In a bit of a rush this morning . . . need to get out to enjoy the sunshine even though it is cold.

VermontChick 03-21-2009 07:45 PM

hi ladies -

wow, what a beautiful day it was, though cold - it was sunny!! today was rough for me. i stayed on program, but i got depressed again about having to "be on a diet" the rest of my life. i know i shouldn't look at it that way, but right now it feels that way. i SO wanted to chow down a whole bag of chips...instead i had one serving....then went to the store to stock up on veggies to snack on!

i am happy to report only a little blip of stomach issues today, and i seem to be still experiencing it at the moment.

meoweee, i hope you got out and enjoyed the day today.

rosey - a chocolate chip cookie sounds good to me!! my trouble is, i can't have just one...i want to eat them until i am full...not a good idea...

ruth - it's ok!! i think i might start walking too. i've been using my wii fit, and also My Fitness Coach for wii.

well i think it is high time that i have my desert...ww chocolate cake - i've been saving up all day!!!

meowee 03-22-2009 03:43 PM

Hi all . . . :grouphug:

It's starting to look a lot like snow. Oh well, never lasts too long at this time of year.

I did not sleep well at all last night and I'm definitely feeling like I need a second nap. :yawn: thankfully, nothing pressing in my plans so I'll just go with the flow. :lol:

BGL was fine and dandy at 4 am (6.3 / 113). Of course by the time I actually got up and decided on breakfast about 7 am, it was 8.3 / 149, and it has been hovering in that same range all day. :mad:

Hope everybody else is having a really fun Sunday . . . :wave:

meowee 03-23-2009 01:10 PM

Yuck . . . Spring is wonderful . . . we are supposed to be getting 10 to 12 inches of snow today.

I have to go to the doctor this afternoon and to the dentist first thing tomorrow morning -- wouldn't you just know it. :shrug:

VermontChick 03-23-2009 02:15 PM

Good luck at the doctor today meowee..let us know how it all goes...I have decided to stop checking my BS for another week or so...I need to give my meds time to kick in, and i am beating myself up over all these highs...

activeadventurer 03-24-2009 02:42 AM

Hi folks. It is great to hear how all of you are doing. I too am anxiously awaiting the arrival of spring, although they are predicting snow for Wednesday. We (my fiancee and I) have had an incredibly stressful week. I won't give you the details but it has been a nightmare. My DF bs was 409 tonight. Very unusual for him! He had to have a tooth pulled today and I figure along with the stress of this week, Maybe that is what is doing it for him. I am doing Ok and have been losing weight slowly but steadily.

Blasphemie. Those are some great numbers!

Vermontchick , congratulations on all your hard work and lowering those numbers (weight and bs) I am a little concerned regarding not checking at all for a week. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water :)

Best to all DCM

VermontChick 03-24-2009 07:46 AM

Morning all!

Carb question: when we count carbs, should we be counting actual carbs, or net carbs??

Activeadventurer: I decided to not check for a week because I am still newly diagnosed. In fact, my doctor didnt even tell me to get a moniter..i am doing that on my own. my numbers are still high, but the fact of the matter is, they're lower than they were two and a half weeks ago when i was diagnosed. i will probably crack, as i did yesterday afternoon! :p When i was diagnosed, my numbers were in the 400's. I bet your hubbie was SUPER stressed out. When i go the doctor (ESP that day, cause i knew they were going to call me diabetic...) i sometimes come close to panicking. i have NO control over there, but my heart races, my bp soars, and i am guessing my blood glucose goes up too. I think it had been hovering in the 300's because i calmed down, came home and tested and i was in the 300's. I have been steadly heading into the 100's.

On another note, each morning I wake up closer and closer to twoterville! the other day i was in twoterville, but i knew that was a fluke becauseit would have meant losing like four pounds in a single day. sure enough, the next day the numbers went back up a bit..

And I just gave in and teste!! still very high -160...but we're getting there...

I can't believe it's spring!!! It's FREEZING here. Yesterday our furnace crapped the bed, and we were on the phone all day trying to get someone to come check it out, no luck...so i've been locked in my room with the door shut, the space heater blasting. :lol:

meowee 03-24-2009 10:33 AM

:grouphug:

Well, I cancelled my dentist appointment this morning -- it is ugly, ugly, ugly out there. Snowing and blowing like mad. I'm definitely going nowhere today. It's beginning to look like the predicted foot of snow may be even more. Apparently, my section of the Province is definitely getting the worst of this storm. :mad:

Doctor appointment yesterday was a big fizzle -- my chest noises were nice and quiet while he was listening (maybe I should invite over to listen to me when I try to get to sleep at night). So he put me on a Flovent inhaler (usually used to control asthma) and scheduled me for a chest x-ray on the 16th followed by a return appointment with him on the 30th.

Regarding those bouncy BGL numbers, his only suggestion was to keep increasing the Lantus. I don't think that is the answer, but we'll see where things are by the end of April.

Speaking of BGL . . . I shot up 20 units of Lantus last night (bedtime reading wa 12.7/229) and FBGL this morning was 8/144 . . . wonder what things will look like tonight and tomorrow morning -- this is an interesting adventure, if nothing else. :shrug:

ACTIVE . . . it was likely the stress of the upcoming dentist appointment . . . stress, especially about the expectation of pain, can be horrendous for the BGL.

VERMONT . . . there are different schools of thought on the carb-counting issue . . . the CDA (Canadian Diabetic Association) provides listings for carb counting with the fibre already discounted and I tend to count both (total carbs and total fibre) and then subtract the fibre.

Basically, the problem arises because the two major types of fibre react differently in the body -- insoluble fibre (wheat bran found in breads for example) passes through the body completely undigested and it is the one usually referred to as being great for bowel health -- soluble fibre (fruit pectin among others) is digested partially and slowly so it does help to control BGL while helping to keep you feeling full. Vegetables, especially the low-carb kind, tend to contain both types of fibre. One thing to watch out for is Sugar Alcohols -- a lot of food nutrition labels tend to subtract it from the carb count. However, the CDA recommends discounting only about 50% of those kind of carbs. Of course, too many sugar alcohols (neither sugar or alcohol, BTW) do cause other problems too (gassy or runny tummy syndrome).

Hope the rest or you have a great day with lots of sunshine and absolutely no snow. . . :wave:

Ruthxxx 03-24-2009 11:20 AM

Good morning. We have sunshine and above freezing temps - sorry about that, MLinda. Also sorry your doc appointment didn't resolve much. I got diagnoses with asthma years ago, got an inhaler and used it for a while and the asthma has disappeared.

Vermont Chick, I've never done the net carb thing. I just keep my carbs in my range and work at getting the fiber to 20-30 grams per day. There is bowel cancer rampant in my family so I am very careful. Um...why did your furnace crap the bed? I've heard of pets doing that but.... :lol:

Weight still 203 from the weekend but BGL was fine at 5.1/91.8 - at least I'm getting it half right!

VermontChick 03-24-2009 12:32 PM

HA HA..regarding the Furnace crapping the bed...it's an expression. my family is from Boston, and that's an expression you use to say something either broke or failed...ie: "my car sh*t the bed." LOL.

I guess they don't use that in Canada!

meowee 03-24-2009 01:15 PM

:lol3: . . . the closest I've ever heard to that expression up here would be "the furnace crapped out" last night.

akrosey49 03-24-2009 06:13 PM

Hi everyone..sry i couldnt post yesterday computers where down,lost power for about 4 hrs :?: ..our Mt Redoubt :?: erupted sunday nite..i could smell the sulpher oder but no ash fallout..its about 45 miles from my house..my sl :?:was up this am 164 ouch..i ate a choc chip cookie late last night..dumb dumb that i am sigh..sry meowee u didnt get the answers that you wanted from your dr..ruth i also have asthma and use an inhaler..mostly im allergic to smoke and my dh smokes out side but it follows him in :(.. anyways ttfn and :hug: for all rosey :wave:

meowee 03-25-2009 05:16 PM

Well it is official -- although I don't know how they can actually measure snowfall when it was all falling sideways because of the wind -- apparently we did not get the 12" originally predicted; we got 16 inches of the stupid wet white stuff. :yikes: It is still very cold and very windy nd ver overcast.

ROSEY . . . did you check Amazon fror seated exercise DVDs? I imagine they would have a few. Glad the volcanic erruption was kind to you. Would imagine any ash would be very hard on your asthma.

I hope a few weeks with the inhaler work the same kind of result for me as for you RUTH, but I don't think this is asthma anyway. No change yet, but, of course, I imagine it will take longer than a couple of days to notice anything.

BGL is still weird . . . 5.6 / 101 at bedtime last night so I only took 12 units of Lantus and still woke up with a 7.6 / 137 this morning. Somehow I don't think an extra 8 units would have worked out too well. :dizzy: Something is definitely going on in the middle of the night (although I was up by 5 am this morning).

Anyway, hope everybody else is having decent weather with more warmth and sunshine than we've got -- I need some vicarious Spring. :wave:

activeadventurer 03-26-2009 08:21 AM

Exercise ideas anyone?

:eek::eek: Volcanos... 16" of snow... It's official, I have no business complaining about the weather! Glad to see everybody hanging in their.

Last weekend 4 policemen were murdered in my home town (the man who raised me was a detective and the police force was a big part of my life growing up). It has had the effect of my really craving home town foods. I have to stop eating italian deli! I feel so bad for the families and the whole community.

That being said. I also need to focus on getting more movement/exercise into my life. I talked with my Diabetes Educator last week and she wants me to check in with a phone call in a few weeks. I want to have something positive to report Any ideas or strategies for getting support around it? I have very severe arthritis and get discouraged pretty easily.

Stress is still pretty high but better than last week. Thanks for listening!

DCM

meowee 03-26-2009 08:49 AM

Good Morning . . . :grouphug:

Wowee the sun is actually shining right now and the temperature is expected to get a wee bit above the freezing mark today. Hopefully melting can begin.

DCM . . . my arthritis keeps me moving pretty slowly too . . . have a look around the internet for chairbound exercises.

Bedtime BGL was higher at 7.8 / 140 so I went with 17 units of Lantus last night and woke up with a 7.7 / 139 -- hey, at least it is stable; now if I can just get it down to below the 7 mark (below 125) and get it to stablize there.

Have good day . . . see you later . . . :carrot:

Ruthxxx 03-26-2009 08:55 AM

Nope, we have no right to complain about the weather but that probably won't stop us! :lol:

Didn't have any carbs for dinner last night and had a 3.2 (57.6) this morning. A slice of ww toast with peanut butter seems to be fixing that - carb/protein/fat. I'll be sure to have carbs with dinner tonight - maybe a sweet potato or some ww couscous with my lamb and green beans?

meowee 03-26-2009 09:01 AM

Ruth are you becoming the epitome of a carnivorous being? -- no vegetables even???? I often skip 'starch' at dinner but I eat so many 'low-carb veggies', I can make up for it. I'm the Queen of the gigantic salad. Wait until you see my personal salad bowl. :lol:

VermontChick 03-26-2009 03:25 PM

wow...57...that is low! Do you take insulin? I had a bad day yesterday. I didn't do my exercises (I fell asleep), and I had a weight watchers sundae which was a huge mistake. i guess even if it is weight watchers, it doesn't mean that it's good for my blood sugar :(

I cannot wait to meet my diabetes educator...I hope I have lots of good things to tell her. I've lost about 17 pounds since my diagnosis, making me just over 50 pounds total.

I am hoping and praying that as I lose weight my blood sugar will be easier to control, and that I will be able to be a little more lax on the carbs.

For now I have been keeping them at 40% of my calories. I am relieved to see that the American Diabetes Association recommends you keep them 50-60% of your total intake.

Of course that should probably mean I need to just eat more fruits, but of course I want to go for the bread!

Here is a funny story: today I had some WONDERFUL cantaloupe, and it was absolutely heaven. It was just what I needed. Well...I went onlien to see how many carbs were in it..and was floored to see it was 45 grams. I nearly had a heart attack, until it occured to me that figure was for eating an entire melon :lol:

On a more personal level, I have been working on my teaching certification. I am an elementary school teacher, and I didn't major in teaching in college, so I am taking an "alternative" path...which means I have this ginormous packet of "competencies" that I need to document. I have all my progress saved to my computer...so I am thinking I need to go and buy a flash drive today!! Boy would that suck if my computer crashed!! (That has happened before....)

Have a great day, ladies!!!

Mel

meowee 03-26-2009 04:18 PM

No RUTH does not take insulin. Lucky Lady. She is well controlled by her eating choices and I think she takes Metformin. Sure she'll be along to correct me soon, if I'm wrong.

MEL, I think you need to learn about slow-acting carbs versus fast-acting carbs. Unfortunately, diet-friendly is not always diabetic-friendly. The less refined a grain is, and the more natural and unrefined a fruit or vegetable is, the lower the Glycemic Index and therefore the more diabetically friendly it is.

The CDA says the same thing as the ADA, but I have to admit that I think 40% is a better goal too; at least for me. I'd suggest that you just try to stay under the 50% mark and stay away from anything highly processed if you can.

Ruthxxx 03-26-2009 06:14 PM

Meowee, I simply forgot to eat my lovely home-made veggie soup because I ahd a phone call during dinner. I really am not becoming a complete carnivore.

Mel, I take 1500 g Metformin daily and 2.5 g of glyburide at bedtime - not insulin. I am really focusing on whole foods and very, very seldom eat desserts of any kind, particularly the frankenfood ones like ww desserts. Fruit and yogurt is my dessert of choice.

activeadventurer 03-27-2009 06:44 AM

Frankenfood:lol: Haven't heard that one before.

VermontChick 03-27-2009 08:51 AM

Meowee - Yeah, I pretty much knew the sundae was a bad idea as I was eating it. However the portion was small, and it was less than 30 grams of carbs. You are right, it was probably fast acting carbs. I need to look into maybe some south beach diet treats.

There are some weight watchers chocolate muffins that have five grams of fiber in each one, so I think those would be a better idea...

meowee 03-27-2009 11:49 AM

No sun for us today. In fact it was extremely foggggy first thing this morning. That has gone and things are just dull now. One sign of Spring though -- I finally saw my first robin; he really stood out well against the solid white of my yard. :lol:

Also on the good side -- my FBGL this morning was actually only 6.7 / 121 -- hope this trend continues.

MEL -- while the WW muffin with the fibre does sound better, it is still going to contain a lot of highly refined and therefore fast-acting carbs (probably made with good old 'enriched white flour'. You need to get away from overly processed and pre-packaged anything as much as you can. When you have time, go and have a read of this series I did on Magic Foods for Better Blood Sugar control . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139983

See you later . . . :carrot:

meowee 03-28-2009 10:15 AM

Wow, two days in a row of FBGL reading of 6.7 / 121. A trend, I hope. Actually I'd like it to be a bit lower. I'm most comfortable in the high 5's (around 100 to 105).

About to jump into the shower and then out to enjoy the sunshine and temperatures that my actually get close to 50F today. :yay:

Ruthxxx 03-28-2009 07:27 PM

My Bacardi Rum Cake is cooling right now and smells so wonderful! I think I may let it sleep in the car overnight. It's for coffee time at Church tomorrow. I'll have no problem resisting it there.

I may "treat" myself to some oven fries tonight for being so "good" and, once again, resisting those darned packages of M&M pastel eggs at the grocery store.

meowee 03-29-2009 08:56 AM

Good Morning . . . good morning . . . :grouphug:

So far, I'm having a great morning -- well, other than the cat that keeps walking all over the keyboard and trying to chew on my fingers. :dizzy:

The sun is shining again and it's going to be fairly mild again and the mountains of snow are melting pretty quickly. However, the next few days are going to be a mixture of nasty stuff including a bit of snow and some ice pellets but mostly rain and that should get rid of the rest of the snow for a good start to April. :crossed:

The FBGL this morning was 6.4 / 115 and the scale says a hair over 209. Kind of surprised me because I did seem to be retaining water last night; but we won't argue with success. Just hope I can hold onto that number until the first of the month. :yes:

Anyway, I want to go out in the sunshine again, but I do have lots of laundry and other house-related stuff that needs doing . . . wonder what will win . . . bet the laundry is still here tomorrow. :s:

VermontChick 03-29-2009 08:27 PM

Ruth -

Man I know what you mean about the M&M's..they're my favorite. I love love the easter ones. I also love those easter egg candies..theyre sorta like m&m's with a thicker shell on it. I shall stay away!

well i have been on the metformin about two weeks now, and my blood sugar is still pretty high...i wonder how much more time i need to give it?

i wonder if when i go to my follow up apointment in june, if my doctor will want to give me something in addition to the metformin.

still getting used to them. the diarrhea isnt so bad now, but when i gotta go i gotta GO. :lol:

meowee 03-30-2009 08:35 AM

Oh yucky weather is back . . . :mad:

At least the FBGL was okay again at 6.3 / 113 this morning and the scale is holding in there at a hair under the 210 mark.

Got to go get ready for the dentist trip . . . see you later . . . :wave:

VermontChick 03-30-2009 08:16 PM

meowee -
i can relate to the scale woes - mine has been fluctuating among the same two pound area for a week now - i am very frusterated!!!

meowee 03-31-2009 08:24 AM

Boy oh boy . . . it is very wet, wild, and WHITE out there this morning. Northeastern Nova Scotia has decided to revise the old March saying to -- "in like a lion; out like the pride". :mad:

At least all is not bad for me -- best FBGL I've seen in a long time this morning -- 5.2/94 -- and the scale is still hovering at that 'smidge' below 210 in spite of my run-in with some very fatty ground beef yesterday. Since the tickers at 3FC don't register 'smidges', I shall wait until tomorrow to change mine (just in case some further downward miracle occurs today). :lol:

You hang in there, too VERMONT . . . weight control is not easy with this stupid disease, but it is extremely important.

Have a great Tuesday, everybody . . . keep doing the good stuff just as much as you can and those rewards will be forthcoming, eventually . . . :grouphug:

Ruthxxx 03-31-2009 08:57 AM

Plugging along. BGL has been good without any dumb lows. I was sure I'd have a weight drop today but the good carbs yesterday put me up a smidge. Darn that yummy Taco Bake recipe!

Meowee, not that the BGL is controlled, please work on your terrible weather!

V. Chick, keep resisting the candy. It does get easier. Eat properly and that BGL will come down. Fretting about a June appointment will NOT help.

meowee 04-01-2009 08:51 AM

Crummy looking morning -- very heavily overcast although every weather report I can find on the TV tells me it is sunny -- somebody or something is playing a nasty April Fools' Day joke.

My FBGL is playing a nasty on me too. For some reason it was 7.2 / 130 when I first got up. Took my morning glyburide and metformin; had a coffee; tested again an hour later and it was 6.3 / 113 by the time I ate my oatmeal and apple concoction. :dunno:

Hope your day is going better than mine so far . . . :grouphug: