Chatting about Diabetes - SPRING 2009

You're on Page 6 of 19
Go to
  • Hi ladies,

Mel - I love those waffles Good calorie and fiber count.
    Moni - As people have said everyone is different. I am sure you will get some carb counts from your dietician. Mine are 30-45 carbs per meal and 15-30 per snack with 3 meals and 3 snacks per day.

Add cancer to that list of more liklies when morbidly obese. I am a 4.5 year survivor and had a cancer that is more prevelent in people who are morbidly obese. A real wake up call.

• It's so early and I'm already exhausted . . . . . . the garbage truck showed up early (many, many hours earlier than normal). I missed the blue bag (recycling of cans, bottles, paper) but I don't mind hanging onto that for another two weeks. Don't know when the other truck will show but at least i got the compostable bin and the 'smellies' out in time.

Other than that -- just another day -- FBGL was 6.0 (108) and scale is stuck on that 210 number.

Well, not quite 'just another day'. I really, really want to get my taxes done. I almost always have to pay so I don't rush into anything -- no, in actual fact -- I'm just a terrible procrastinator.
  • wow i have had a stressful day!! fought with my mother today when i went to see her before work - then i went in to work all flustered (not to mention late). I HATE being late for meetings, it throws my whole day off.

now i have just been crabby with my kids all day. i just do not have the patience to deal with children today!!!

and now I must go teach spanish to a group of sarcastic and mouthy fourth and fifth graders!!!

food has been great today, still do not have my meter's strips...i will be getting those after work today...
  • Hi all been a long time since i have visited,,i see rosey and Meowee but don't think i know everyone else,,so hi ,,,been having lots of problems with bs and am now on lantus and metformin and slowly building up the metformin just about killed my stomach when i started it so bad i had to stop for a few weeks, but is better now and so are my bs. hopefully will be able to cut back on the lantus once i can take more metformin..so thats my story,,,how is everyone else,,rosey how is your health doing,,have thought of you many times over the past months,,,hope you are good,,,later all,,jeanne
  • so good to see you JEANNE . . .
  • so...........i got my relione ultima test strips today. i was annoyed because they cost the same, so my insurance didn't pay any of it. boo. good news is, it's the model with the cheapest test strips i can find...so when/if i have a lag in my insurance coverage (very possible i will be losing my job in august), they will be affordable.

HOWEVER the onetouch is cheapest for me with my insurance - it's gonna cost me 50 bucks to get 400 test strips! i ordered the pink OneTouch Mini..i am so trendy!!

anyways, i took my blood sugar this afternoon after work and my reading was at..............95!!!! i was sooooooo elated...finally the metformin and my hard work seems to be paying off....
  • Hi everyone Jenne welcome back im doing ok..sometimes alittle stir crazy from being in so long but did get out a few days ago and it was great..sry for being mia ,computer issues and then i got the flu..was sick for 2 days and lived in the brm ugh..im better now..sl where higher while i was sick but was 84 this am..nothing new to report miised you all ((hugs))) rosey
  • First off HELLO! I haven't been able to stop by. Thank you all for your response.

Vchick-i'm sorry to hear about the machine, that is so frustrating, but now you'll have a good working one and CONGRATS on the great sugar and hard work!

So I went to the doctor yesterday (tuesday) and she put me on Metformin ( I figured) i'm starting at 500 mg and then after taking my BS for 2 weeks if I haven't stablized i up to 1000mg and so on for the next month. My AM blood sugar is down from the day before so i hope thats a trend. She also put me on a cholestoral med. So far i've been making some good decisions. I've been aiming for about 30-35 carbs per meal. I did sign up for a diabetic class which includes a sit down with a nutritionist so i'll know more soon. I have been trying to walk and take the stairs. I will joining the YMCA soon and will be able to work out steady. I"m trying to take it slow because i dont want to burn out and start getting sloppy. I told my mom and I feel better having her know, she was very supportive. I asked her to tell my dad, he was upset but he too is supportive. Thats whats going on there.

I hope all of you have a great rest of the week. I"ll try to check in again in a few days! Thanks again!
  • moni - it sounds like you are off to a good start.

question about vinegar...has anyone heard that it can help lower the gi index of foods? i love cheerios, but it's relatively high. i am wondering if i could take a little vinegar to curb that high..i just have no idea how much of it i should have...boy that was weird, drinking vinegar..!!

• Yes the vinegar would help, but I'd suggest you might be better off finding a cereal with a lower GI to begin with -- the 'all bran' type works best.

My FBGL was up to 6.5 / 117 this morning. Probably because I went to bed in a very bad mood after finishing my taxes. I'm officially in a worse mood now, because I just wrote a cheque for over $5,000.00 to the Revenue Department. I always have to pay them, but this is an exceptionally bad year. No comfort food indulges yet, but I am going out for lunch today.

Additionally, the cats are going absolutely zonkers this morning -- yep, full moon tonight.

Hey . . . at least the sun is shining. Nice change and it's supposed to continue like this through tomorrow as well. Then more rain and possibly snow in the forecast for Easter Sunday.
  • Good morning thanks for the welcome back. Meowee i noticed you have lost more weight since i was gone good for you. the irs check would have killed me,so sorry to hear that, it sucks we get ahead a little and they take it back. When i stopped useing the byetta my wt just shot up. Rosey so good to hear you are doing better it your weather sunny now. I am sure enjoying seeing some sun after all these months of snow, but oh my should see what is under all that snow,lol, lots of work to do outside, where the dogs drag in all the crap i will never know.
    Sounds like everyone is working hard on staying on a plan here. Moni sounds like you are on the right track for sure. Vermont isn't the cost of strips out of sight, glad you found some not to bad.
    The good news is my bs was 78 this A.m. meowee i think you take lantus ? how much adjusting do you have to do. some days it seems i am taking to much and others not enough, is it a constant change depending on your day ? well you all have a great sun filled day,,,,see you soon,,jeanne
  • hmm...i need to check in and confess that today i ate a sugar cookie, and a fun size package of easter m&m's....

...i can't beat myself up about it everything in moderation, right? i will count it in my calories for the day, i am just worried about how it wil affect my readings this afternoon...we'll see....
  • Yes JEANNE I'm taking Lantus and I've more or less stopped playing around with it. Now I'm just taking my 20 units at bedtime and letting the chips fall where they may. Mostly it's working. When I was trying to vary the amount based on by bedtime BGL, I seemed to be getting consistently higher morning readings. Thanks for the compliment on the weight loss. Hopefully you will get things back in balance when your system gets a little more accustomed to the extra insulin.

Yes MEL, don't beat yourself up too much. This is a lifelong jurney not a race. All any of us can do is the best we can at any given time. As long as we have more good days than bad ones, things will eventually work out.

Speaking of the bad days . . . . . . we had Chinese at lunch. Don't think I did too badly since I had mostly vegetables and stayed awahy from the breaded and deep fried things . . . but . . . the salt, oh my. Think I'll just stay away from the scale for a couple of days.
  • well....despite my high amount of sugar ingestion today, my bg was 104 when i came home from work...yay
  • Good going, MEL . . . makes you feel good about the day doesn't it . . . It's difficult not to be excited by the good readings and depressed by the bad ones, but don't forget it is the long term that matters. The HbgA1C readings that the doctor will probably have the lab do every three to six months is what really tells the tale. Try to to be too obsessive about the daily stuff.

And speaking of not being obsessive . . . both the scale and the FBGL (7.6/140) are in nasty land this morning. As mentioned before, the scale situation was totally expected; but the FBGL was not. Hey, they will both straighten out again.

Anyway, the sun is shining and it looks like it will be a wonderful day. Good thing since I have lots of 'visiting' type things on the go for today. The rest of my Easter weekend will be relatively quiet and that's probably just as well since the weather is supposed to deteriorate a lot by Sunday.

Hope you all have good weather and a really good Good Friday on the go.