3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Diabetes Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support-203/)
-   -   Chatting about Diabetes - SPRING 2009 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/167272-chatting-about-diabetes-spring-2009-a.html)

VermontChick 04-02-2009 06:39 AM

meowee -

a timing thing? if i am in complete control though, should my readings EVER be that high? when you say timing do you mean putting more time in between when i eat? that may be the problem. when i got home around 4 i had 18 (one serving) All Bran crackers - 5 grams of fiber per serving and 19 grams of carbs. Now that I think about it, I also had some sugar free yogurt covered raisins. i have NO idea why i ate those, they were a birthday present but i dont even like raisins. i had about ten of them. that was definitely relatively soon after the snack of crackers and avocado.

so then around 6:15 i ate my dinner...then after the dinner i ate the orange. so i tested myself...273. tested again ten minutes later...203...then before i went to bed i was 154. i ate a samll handful of peanuts..woke up and i was 164....

is it best to let two or three hours pass between eating?

i see my educator in three weeks. i have an apointment to see a nutritionist too, but i will probably have to cancel because my insurance does not cover that.

meowee 04-02-2009 09:10 AM

Good Morning Sweetie-Pies . . . :grouphug:

Happy to say my FBGL was back down to 5.7 (103) this morning and the scale-:devil: said 209. :yay: But who knows what either one will say tomorrow. :dunno:

Oh ROSEY . . . so sorry you got 'ashed' and you are definitely right about longing to see something other than snow.

Today it is supposed to be fairly mild but damp and dull. At least it's not snowing. :lol: Guess LouLou and I will be doing the lunch and shop routine for a little while anyway.

Okay VERMONT, it definitely sounds like timing. Definitely skip that immediately after dinner reading because it is just upsetting you. Your bedtime one was good. Also, I do think your avacodo, crackers and raisins snack is what really did you in, girl. Partly because it was fairly close to dinner and partly because raisins are a very high natural sugar fruit without any added sugar. As Rosey mentioned, some people are more impacted by fruit than others; so the after dinner orange may not have helped any either. Hopefully the DEC appointment will give you lots and lots of insight; don't forget to keep those written records to show him/her.

See you all later . . . :wave:

VermontChick 04-02-2009 01:24 PM

Thanks Meowee, I feel a lot better. I haven't been writing down my readings...aren't I awful? I have just sort of been keeping a mental tab on it. Actually, my doctor hasn't even recommended that I test yet. Maybe it is because she knows that it is too early and (as you have said) it is just upsetting me.

I love avocados, they are sooo yummy and FILLING. I hate raisins, so I have no idea why I even ate them. I guess I didn't want to hurt my brother's feelings.

I just am worried - if I don't get my bs down, I imagine my doctor will probably put me on insulin....I mean I guess...I dunno.

I know I am just getting myself worked up. I think I had been living with diabetes for years without it being diagnosed...that is so sad to me...

akrosey49 04-02-2009 02:01 PM

Morning everyone..vermont chick :hug: breath,we know u are scared but u are doing the right stuff,it just takes time to adjust and get the knowledge u need to manage this disease but its do-able:yes:..nothing new here..:hug: for all rosey :wave:

sapphire9 04-02-2009 03:11 PM

Hi, all. Not been posting much because when I come to the site, it takes a long time to load and sometimes won't load at all. Anyone else have this problem? Don't have the problem with any of the other sites I visit.
Anyway, we are having nice spring weather (I'll try to send you some, Rosey and Meowee). My current combo of meds seems to be doing the trick. Had a bgl of 96 this morning. It did blip up to 146 yesterday, but for me that's still pretty goo. I'm not eating very well but managing to maintain my weight. Need to start losing though. Have a good day.

VermontChick 04-02-2009 06:38 PM

rosetta, i have also been having issues with the site loading slowly or just timing out and not loading at all

meowee 04-03-2009 12:32 PM

Hi :wave:

Yesterday turned into one of those days when I simply inhaled every bite of food that came into my line of vision . . . far too many carbs were involved . . . including too much bread and lots of white-rice filled cabbage rolls. Finished off dinner with a great piece of extremely rich chocolate cake. Thanks to my "carb-coma", I was home and in bed before 9 pm.

Amazingly, the BGL at breakfast time was only 5.9 / 106. :shrug: Needless to say, I avoided the scale this morning.

Today, so far, things are going fine. My latest weather complaint is that all the snow is melting so quickly, my yard looks like a swamp. As well, although today is just overcast, there is a lot of rain in the forecast for the next few days and that could turn my swamp into a lake.

Hope everybody else is having some gorgeous spring weather . . . :grouphug:

activeadventurer 04-04-2009 06:24 AM

Wanted to let folks know that my fiancee and I set a date to get married for June 6 of this year. We went taste testing yesterday at the restaurant where we are having the ceremony (40's style supper club). It was yummo. I am feeling anxious about all the details and hope I will return to my regular sleep patterns tomorrow

meowee 04-04-2009 06:58 AM

:high: for ACTIVE . . . way to make an early summer even more alluring.

Today is wet and windy around here, but there is lots of green (well brown) stuff peeking out through the swamp-land in my back yard. Still a bunch of snow along the fence, but it's going fast.

One day of good eating has gotten my FBGL back where it belongs at 5.4 / 97 this am, but the scale is still complaining slightly (1/2 a pound's worth) about the salt content of the Thursday debacle. Hopefully it will soon be gone again too.

How's the weekend shaping up for the rest of you? Nothing but fun stuff I hope. . . :grouphug:

Ruthxxx 04-04-2009 07:10 AM

Food has not been good and I've been avoiding the scale. BGL has been holding fine...so far. I'll try for a healthier day today. I don't think I've had a vegetable for three days! You'd think I'd be smarter at my age! :lol:

meowee 04-04-2009 07:14 AM

I probably eat about six cups of veggies everyday (counting salad greens which are really non-events in anybody's life) -- you just wait until I get you down here, Chickie -- maybe I'll tie you up and force feed you lots of fish and vegetables.

Oops, guess I'd better be careful about what I say or she'll be cancelling out on me. :s:

VermontChick 04-04-2009 08:15 AM

i do not eat enough vegetables either. truth be told, i don't like many of them. and they're such a pain to prepare. i eat a lot of carrot sticks, and i go back and forth with the salads cause i get so sick of them. i am someone who cannot eat the same thing all the time, i need variety or else i get nauseated...

meowee 04-05-2009 06:54 AM

Good Morning . . . :grouphug:

Hope there is some sun in your forecast today because there is definitely none around here. April is definitely living up to it's reputation for being showery.

Both the FBGL (at 5.8/104) and the weight (at 209) are treating me well this morning. Hope that is also the same for all of you.

MEL . . . here's a task for the coming week . . . and for each of the weeks to come . . . try at least one new vegetable and hopefully some you will like. Some of my favourites are asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli all of which are very low carb and very easy to fix (throw them into some boiling water and cook until just tender) and my favourite starchy vegetable is, of course, sweet potatoes (just wash them, cut them up into chunks, and throw them into some boiling water too. They take about 2 or 3 times longer to get tender.

See you all later . . . :carrot: . . . those are good too. :lol:

VermontChick 04-05-2009 10:38 AM

i will try that meowee...i DO like cooked veggies - i just thought that was less-than-ideal (to cook them). i love asparagus, i love cauliflower (raw and cooked). my favorite is avocado..i try to have two or three a week. i eat a small bit of them at a time. i think this week i will try dipping my carrots into mashed avocado instead of the crackers.

well i haven't tested my bg in a few days because i ran out of strips. i called my doctor and asked if she would write me a script for some test strips...well she did, but walmart seems to no longer carry the freestyle flash test strips..gah. so i went and purchased a new meter, but the meter doesnt have any strips in the box. the cheapest they had was a pack of 100 for 50 bucks...and i don't have that right now..so tomorrow i need to call the doc and ask for another script...

grrrr....

meowee 04-05-2009 11:28 AM

watch out . . . avocado is a fruit and it has a very high fat content (it is good fat though) and thus a very high calorie count compared to the other veggies you mentioned.

For example:

1 cup of cubed avocado (or 1/2 cup mashed) has 240 calories; 13 grams of carb; 22 grams of
fat
1 cup chopped cooked cauliflower has 26 calories; 3 grams carb; 0 grams of fat

BIG difference . . . although those extra 200 calories may not have too much impact on your blood sugar level . . . they can have a big impact on your weight loss efforts . . . soooooo . . . . in the long run, they will influence the blood sugar, too. :yes: