Healthy ice cream!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • What a find! Who knew that freezing bananas and blending them could be so delicious? I'm so happy I found this

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make...-cream-w-93414
  • Wow! I'm going to try that. Thanks for posting the link.
  • This is looking awesome - thanks!
  • You can add a scoop of peanut butter or chocolate chips or both for added flavour and it's still pretty low cal!
  • I make this a lot. I like to add strawberries and a tiny bit of vanilla to mine. I have been meaning to try the pb and chocolate version.
  • This is wonderful and I haven't made it in awhile......have enough frozen bananas in the freezer to make a gallon! My only suggestion would be to hang onto your food processor when you first start the pureeing process -- that baby can shake right off the counter if you turn your back.
  • I have a no-ice ice cream maker. Its really easy to use. Mom and I make homemade strawberry ice cream fairly often.

We use pureed strawberries, heavy cream, and splenda. Sometimes I add in a splash of vanilla extract or chocolate chips. For just the first three ingredients, a 1 cup serving is about 100 calories and 5 carbs. Its great for diabetics.

However, you can use just about any fruit. Mom made peach ice cream last night. I've made caramel ice cream with baileys irish cream before. It works for everything.
  • Usually I steer clear of recipes where the goal is to make a food that pretends to be something else (for me, those are usually only recipes for disappointment!).

However, I'm home sick with a really sore throat and ice cream sounds pretty tempting right now, even if it's not "real". I happen to have 2 bananas that are just slightly overripe, so I threw caution to the wind and blended them up with almonds and organic cocoa powder.

I'm eating it right now and I'm floored - this is DELICIOUS! It really does feel like I'm eating soft ice cream, though it's definitely very banana-y.

Easy, cheap, satisfying, surprising.
  • Quote: Usually I steer clear of recipes where the goal is to make a food that pretends to be something else (for me, those are usually only recipes for disappointment!).

However, I'm home sick with a really sore throat and ice cream sounds pretty tempting right now, even if it's not "real". I happen to have 2 bananas that are just slightly overripe, so I threw caution to the wind and blended them up with almonds and organic cocoa powder.

I'm eating it right now and I'm floored - this is DELICIOUS! It really does feel like I'm eating soft ice cream, though it's definitely very banana-y.

Easy, cheap, satisfying, surprising.
    Did you freeze it first? That tends to take out most of the overly banana flavor for me. For the past four or five years we've never thrown out a banana and have small baggies of chopped bananas in our freezer for this. I love the natural peanut butter addition while my daughter always asks for a spoonful of nutella in hers
  • This is really amazing. Yummy tasty recipes.
  • seriously guys try this its amazing i have prepared it a lot of times
  • Been meaning to try this out. Saw recipes a few weeks ago for tons of other fruits too, like mixed berries or strawberries.
  • You can put a bunch of berries in ricotta cheese, part skim and have a nice ice cream like treat as well.
  • Would this 'ice cream' still have a strong banana taste even if I use chocolate and peanut butter? I don't mind it bring mild, but I'm not the biggest fan of peanut butter and banana together.
  • I like to add watermelon and peaches...........2 thing should be frozen.