Bownie recipes

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • Can someone re-post this recipe? I am in the middle of a major kitchen renovation and all my cookbooks are packed away.

I tried doing a "search" and nothing came up. I'm pretty sure I got it from this site.

I recall it contained cocoa power, applesauce, 3 egg whites, as part of the ingredients. I remember they were l point and about 80-90 calories.

THANKS! Wanted to add them to the holiday buffet (which I am helping to cook at my friend's -- since I am kitchenless!)

Susan
  • Fudgy Cocoa Brownies
    1/2 c apple butter
    3/4 c. sugar
    3 egg whites
    1/4 c. + 2 T. cocoa powder
    1/4 c. + 2T. unbleached flour
    1/4 c. oat bran
    1 t. vanilla
    1/3 c. walnuts(optional - pts do not include)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine apple butter, sugar, and egg whites and stir to mix. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well. Coat an 8 inch pan with nonstick spray and pour in batter and spread to even out. Bake for 23-25min. or until edges are firm and center is almost set. Cool at room temperature, cut into 16 servings and serve

Serves 16
    Calories=76
    fat=0.5gm
    fiber=1.6gm

[This message has been edited by JaneStarr (edited 11-20-1999).]
  • Dear JaneStar/Goldie:

Thanks for the quick response. The one I used to make didn't include oat bran, but I'll try this one. Thanks!

Susa
  • 20.5 oz package light brownie mix
    Cooking spray
    4c raspberry lowfat frozen yogurt, softened.
    1/2c chocolate graham crumbs
    2c fresh raspberries

1) Preheat oven to 350.
    2) Prepare brownie mix according to package directions, using a 13x9 inch baking pan covered with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 20 min. Let cool completely.
    3) Spread frozed yogurt evenly over cooled brownies. Sprinkle crumbs over yogurt; cover & freeze 5 hrs or until firm. Cut into bars and top each bar with 2 tb fresh raspberries.
    Yield: 16 servings
    4 pts, 221 calories, 3.1g fat
  • * Exported from MasterCook *

Candy Bar Brownies - 3 Points

Recipe By :JoAnna M. Lund
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Bars & Brownies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/2 cup pourable Sugar Twin
    1/4 cup Brown Sugar Twin
    1 egg or equivalent in egg substitute
    1/3 cup skim milk
    2 tablespoons Land O Lakes no-fat sour cream
    1 1/2 cups Bisquick reduced fat baking mix
    1/4 cup chopped dry-roasted peanuts
    1/4 cup mini chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8-by-8 inch baking dish with butter flavored cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine Sugar Twin, Brown Sugar Twin, egg, skim milk and sour cream. Add baking mix, peanuts and chocolate chips. Mix well to combine. Spread batter into prepared baking dish. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Place baking dish on a wire rack and let set for 5 minutes. Cut into 16 bars. Serves 8 (2 each).

Serving size (2 brownies)
    According to the newsletter:
    Per serving: 141 Cal, 5g Fat, 4go Pr, 20g Carb, 274mg Sod, 38mg Calc, 1g Fib
    Healthy Exchanges: 1 Bread, 1/4 Protein, 1/4 Fat, 1/4 Slider, 11 Opt. Cal. Diabetic: 1 Starch, 1 Fat
    Weight Watcher Points: 3

Source:
    "Healthy Exchanges® Food Newsletter, August 1999"
    Yield:
    "16 brownies"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Submitted by Effiemae on 7/29/1999 to the Healthy Exchanges Website. MC formatted by Pamela S. on 7/30/1999. Shared by Pamela S. on 1/5/2000 to the Weight Watchers Forum.
    Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
  • * Exported from MasterCook *

Chocolate Zucchini Brownies - 3 Points

Recipe By :JoAnna M. Lund with Barbara Alpert
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Bars & Brownies Make-Ahead

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 cup pourable Sugar Twin or Sprinkle Sweet
    1/2 cup Land O Lakes nonfat sour cream
    1/2 cup water
    2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup grated unpeeled zucchini
    1/4 cup (1 oz) chopped pecans

"I can imagine some people making a face or saying "Eewww" at the thought of a grated green veggie in something as lusious as a brownie, but just wait until you tast these moist and delicious confections! And just think- a serving is actually TWO brownies."

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 11-by-7-inch biscuit pan with nonstick butter flavored cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and Sugar Twin. Add sour cream, water, & vanilla extract. Mix well to combine. Fold in zucchini and pecans. Spread intoevenly into prepared biscuit pan Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Place biscuit pan on a wire rack and allow to cool. Cut into 16 bars. Makes 8 servings (2 each). Freezes well.

Serving size (2 brownies)
    According to the cookbook:
    Per serving: 135 Cal, 3g Fat, 4g Pro, 23g Carb, 179mg Sod, 28mg Calc, 2g Fib
    Healthy Exchanges: 1 Bread, 1/2 Fat, 1/4 Vegetable, 1/4 Slider, 17 Opt. Cal.
    Diabetic Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch/Carbohydrate, 1/2 Fat
    Weight Watcher Points: 3

Source:
    "Dessert Every Night Cookbook, page 267"
    Copyright:
    "Healthy Exchanges, Inc. 1998; ISBN 0-399-14422-6"
    Yield:
    "16 brownies"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Submitted by Heather on 7/30/1999 to the Healthy Exchanges Website. MC formatted by Pamela S. on 7/30/1999. Shared by Pamela S. on 1/6/2000 to the Weight Watchers Forum.
    Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
  • Better-For-You Brownies, Jodified

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa 2 points

1-113 gram jar Heinz Simple Goodness Prunes with Pears (this is baby food, or plain pureed prunes work too) 1

1/2 cup boiling water 0

1 teaspoon coffee grounds (instant or regular) 0

2/3 cup whole wheat flour 4

1/2 teaspoon baking powder 0

1/4 teaspoon salt 0

1 large egg 2

1 large egg white 0

1 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar 17

2 tablespoons oil 6

1 teaspoon vanilla extract 0

Total Points 32
    / 16 brownies = 2

Preheat oven to 350. Coat 9" square baking pan with cooking spray.

In medium bowl, combine cocoa, baby food, coffee and boiling water. Stir until cocoa is dissolved. Let stand until completely cool, about 10 minutes. (Have any of you ever been too impatient for instructions like this? I have. Hot ingredients cook the eggs. )

Combine flour, baking powder and salt.

Scrape cooled cocoa mix into blender or food processor. Add egg, egg white, all but 2 tablespoons of the sugar, oil and vanilla. Process until smooth. (I don't know if this is really necessary - you may be able to mix it well enough by hand.) Add to flour mixture and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.

Pour batter into pan, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. (This gives it a nice crust.) Bake until brownies are firm around the edges and just set in centre, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cut into 16 squares. Enjoy! I love these, they are moist, chocolate-y, and satisfying. I have done a million versions of these, trying to perfect them, so if you run into any problems (or an improvement!) please let me know.

If you are vegan or just want to avoid the eggs, grind 2 tablespoons flaxseed to a coarse powder in a blender or food processor. Add 1/3 cup water and blend until mixture is viscous, scraping the sides as you go. This replaces the egg, the rest of the recipe the same.

Heavily modified from a recipe in Vegetarian Times, January 2000. (I highly recommend this magazine and Veggie Life for great low-point, high-flavor food! Even if you're not Veggie! )

[This message has been edited by runner (edited 02-19-2000).]
  • Thanks Jodi!
    I was thinking, if you eliminated the sugar and used Splenda instead, total points ould be 15. That would be a way to cut them down to a point each. Dunno if it would compromise the flavor compared to the real sugar though. Well, thanks again! They sound yummy!
  • Splenda doesn't taste any different than sugar..IMHO!!!! I've been substituting it in everything and the taste is great! Michele
  • Runner - thanks for posting this recipe !

Sunrise - Just so you know, Splenda is NOT calorie-free. It does significantly reduce calories. It weighs in at 96 calories a cup. So instead of counting 17 points for the cup of sugar, we'd have to count 2. A great improvement in the point count, but sadly, we still have to count it.

Sorry for being a fuss-budget.

Sue
  • Thanks so much Jodi. Will try these soon!!

Annette
  • Can someone here tell me where to find
    Splenda? Please don't tell me I have to go
    to Canada!

• Freida

You can order splenda, which I did yesterday and got an e-mail saying it had been shipped today. Great service!! Am anxious to try it.
    None of the stores around here have heard of it so for me it was the only way to go.
    www.splenda.com

Annette
  • I made these brownies tonight and I have to tell you, they are wonderful! One small glitch, I used plums instead of prunes. I bought the wrong one type of baby food. Also, I am far too lazy to use a food processor and they turned out beautifully. Well worth the effort and the points!
  • Race-Ya!

So glad you tried the recipe. And as for the plums instead of prunes, that just shows that there are many more options for this recipe than I thought! Glad you found one more. I've heard of people using baby-food jars of pureed sweet potatoes too, though I haven't tried that yet!

Runner/Jodie