Coconut Pinkcherry Frozen Yogurt

• I made this a couple weeks ago with some local cherries I had frozen. It turned out SOOO good! I used non-fat yogurt, so I think it was fairly low in bad fats.

I'm thinking this might be a really good base for all sorts of flavors! I got it to about "soft serve" consistency with the ice cream maker, then just froze it--it's a little hard to scoop in that it comes out in little pieces rather than huge balls, but it tastes amazing, so it's worth it!

Substitutions are in red.

Quote:
    Coconut Pinkcherry Frozen Yogurt
    Adapted from The Perfect Scoop, recipe from The Smitten Kitten

Makes about 1 quart

3 cups strained yogurt* or Greek-style yogurt [I used strained non-fat yogurt]
    3/4 cup sugar [I used 1/4 cup Splenda, 1/4 cup erythritol,1 tsp. Stevia, and 1/8 cup agave nectar]
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    3/4 cup cherries, pits removed and roughly chopped
    1 cup unsweetened coconut milk

Mix together the yogurt, sugar, almond extract, cherries and coconut milk. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Refrigerate 1 hour.

Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

* To make 1 cup (240g) of strained yogurt, line a mesh strainer with a few layers of cheese cloth, then scrape 16 ounces or 2 cups (480g) of plain whole-milk yogurt into the cheesecloth. Gather the ends and fold them over the yogurt, then refrigerate for at least 6 hours.