Sweet Potato Oatmeal Bars

• Found this recipe online and thought it sounded delicious! I'm doing P1 right now, so I can't make it, but wanted to post it before I forgot. Let us know what you think if you try it!

Quote:
    Sweet Potato Oatmeal Bars

Diet Type: Low Sodium
    Cooking Time: 30 minutes - one hour

Ingredients:
    2 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
    1/4 cup maple syrup (I would sub SF Maple syrup or another flavor of SF syrup, like Spice)
    1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
    1/4 cup maple syrup (I would sub SF Maple syrup or another flavor of SF syrup, like Spice)
    1/4 canola oil
    1/4 cup water
    2 cups rolled oats
    1 cup chopped walnuts
    1 cup whole wheat pastry flour

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place sweet potatoes, maple syrup and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a food processor and mix until smooth. Set aside. In a medium bowl, mix oats, nuts, flour and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Set aside. Mix maple syrup, oil, and water separately and add to dry. Mix. Divide dough in half. Oil an 8x8 baking dish and press half of dough in the bottom. Spread the sweet potato mixture over the dough evenly. Crumble the remaining half of dough evenly over the sweet potato. Press gently. Bake for 20 minutes, until slightly crisp on top and golden. Let cool before serving.

Servings: 8

Author: Polly Pitchford, Full Spectrum Health™
  • OH you can bet I will be trying this one!
  • ummmm whats with the 1/4 cup maple syrup, mere typo? You have it listed twice... Does sound good though...
  • It's used twice, in the dough and in the pumpkin filling.

These sound dangerously yummy.
  • Exactly right, Schmoodle! It's in there twice, once in the dough, once in the filling. In other recipes, it might be written, "1/2 cup maple syrup, divided" but this seems clearer to me (and it's how they wrote it). Thanks for asking, though Evil! It does seem like a typo at first.

Someone mentioned these in the daily and called them "pumpkin oatmeal bars" and that had me thinking...we could probably just substitute pumpkin puree for the mashed sweet potatoes--less work! I bet that would be good too!
  • Well, I tried this with canned pumpkin (I used one 15oz can). I added at least twice the spices and a little salt, but it's still very weak in flavor. Maybe it needs four times the amount?

They fall apart very easily, so you really need to eat them with a fork. The oats taste a little hard, but not in an unpleasant way. Overall, I don't think I'll make them again, but I'm wondering about adapting an oatmeal cookie recipe and making it like this with pumpkin in the middle...though I think I'd use half the amount. Hmm....