Old 09-02-2004, 02:35 PM   #1  
i luv my dog!

Default CHOCOLATE Souffle Muffins

MMMMM - Chocolate!! I wanted something chocolate that would be acceptable for PHASE 1 so I modified the recipe below.

ORIGINAL Recipe
----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.01

Title: Hot Chocolate Souffles
Categories: Baking, English, Desserts
Yield: 6 servings

9 oz Semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 tb Dark rum
6 Lg Egg whites
4 Lg Egg yolks
1 tb Unsalted butter, melted
1 pn Cream of tartar
In the top of a double boiler set over simmering water, melt the
chocolate, stirring, until it is smooth. Remove the pan from the
heat, add the egg yolks, one at a time, whisking well after each
addition, and whisk in the rum and butter. Transfer mixture to a
large bowl. In a bowl with an electric mixer, beat the egg whites
with the cream of tartar and a pinch of salt until they hold stiff
peaks. Stir a quarter of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture
then fold in the remaining egg whites gently but thoroughly. Spoon
the mixture into 6 buttered 2/3 cup souffle dishes and bake them on a
baking sheet in the middle of a preheated 400f oven for 10-12
minutes, or until they are puffed and a tester comes out nearly
clean. (A 1982 Gourmet Mag. favorite from Homewood Park, a small hotel
and restaurant in Bath, England)

Modified to SB phase 1
CHOCOLATE SOUFFLE MUFFINS

1/2 c. + 1 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 c. Splenda
1/4 c. + 2 T. veg oil
1 T. unsalted butter, melted
6 lg. egg whites
4 lg. egg yolks
one muffin tin that makes 12 pieces or a mini-muffin tin for 24 (alternately you can use ovenproof custard bowls)

In large mixing bowl melt butter and add oil. Stir to combine. Add egg yolks, one at a time, whisking after each addition. Add Splenda, mix, then add cocoa powder. Stir until thoroughly combined and no lumps remain.

Spray cooking pan/cups with non-stick spray. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a separate bowl add egg whites and beat with electric mixer until they hold stiff peaks. Stir a quarter of egg whites into chocolate mixture, then fold in remaining whites thoroughly but gently. Spoon mixture into cups and bake in center of oven for 11 - 13 minutes or until puffed.

Recommendations/options (not necessarily all at the same time ):
* If you have cocoa powder that is not of the highest quality or may be a bit old, add about a coffeespoonful of granulated coffee to dissolve in the warm butter.
* add a teaspoon of vanilla extract
* 2 T. of dark rum, as in the original recipe
* use butter in place of the veg oil

NOTES:
When I made this I didn't have any rum, or cream of tartar (as per the original recipe) so I just omitted them. Also, I don't own an electric mixer, so I used the ole-timey hand crank kind and it got the job done.
For my baking tin, I have a mini-muffin pan that makes 12 so I filled each cup about 2/3 full and still had batter left so I put the remaining batter in 4 glass custard dishes. I found that the mini-muffins came out of the tin better when they were right out of the oven. When they cooled off they sort of stuck (even with the Pam) and I had to loosen them with a spoon.
These are sweet enough to be a treat but not very sweet. You may want to add a little splenda, but I don't know how that would affect the consistency. In my first trial run these turned out very moist and kind of "sponge cake like."
I took them to work to test out on some suspecting guniea pigs and got positive reviews. (Two of the women are diabetic and thought these would be a good thing to have)

Please write a reply if you make these, and what if any, changes you made to the recipe and how you liked them, etc. Enjoy!
a broad abroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 07:51 AM   #2  

Default Choc Souffle-yum!

I made these last night for dessert--I had my big brother over for dinner (he just finished week 1 of SB and lost 15 pounds!) and wanted to give him a treat.
Out of the oven they were very tasty. I had a leftover the next day and a zap in the microwave definitely helped.
I thought the recipe tasted fine, but, my chocolate mixture was very grainy. I think next time I'll take care of that part in my mixer (i had whisked it) and then use my hand mixer for the egg whites.
This was definitely a great chocolate treat! Thanks.
BTW--suggested serving? We had one each. Just curious.
~
neverbeenthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:28 PM   #3  
~*~Tara~*~

S/C/G: 240/234/150

Height: 5' 7"

I just made these and OMG are they good!!! I'm thinking that in P2, I can add a cup or two of dark chocolate chips for extra yumminess.

Changes I made:

I used 2 tbs of ICBINB, and eliminated one of the extra tbs. of oil. I've found in my years of baking that butter brings out the chocolate flavor much fuller. Next time around, I may go with 3 tbs. of ICBINB and just eliminate the extra oil completely. I also just used 6 whole eggs (6 yolk in the choc. mix, 6 white to beat up) because the yolks in my eggs look smaller than normal.

Hint for the next person who makes these - beat the egg white first, then prepare the chocolate mix. I found that the chocolate dough was starting to stiffen up a bit and it took some extra effort to mix the whites in.
celticscryer is offline   Reply With Quote