Old 10-07-2002, 09:54 AM   #1  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Default Cookies * Cakes * Pies * Tarts

This board is dedicated to all SB LEGAL COOKIES * CAKES * PIES * TARTS (BAKED GOODS)
Debelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 10:12 AM   #2  

Default Originally posted by JS on 06-02-2000

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies

Makes about 6 dozen

2 cups old fashioned oats
1 & 1/4 cups stone ground whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 & 1/2 cups peanut butter (super chunky is great!)
2 cups granulated fructose
1/2 cup agave syrup (dark)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In small bowl mix oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In large mixer bowl with mixer at medium, beat butter and peanut butter until smooth. Beat in vanilla, eggs, sugar and syrup, then add flour/oatmeal mixture and mix until blended. Drop by rounded teaspoon on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from cookie sheets before cool. Cool completely on wire rack. Store in tightly covered container.

I added 1/2 cup chopped Lindt 70% cocoa chopped to the recipe. This made it more like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cookie!
Old 10-07-2002, 10:15 AM   #3  

Default Originally posted by Debelli on 06-16-2000

I just got this recipe out of this new book I'm currently reading. It looks good, but I personally haven't tried it. If any of you make it, would you please let me know how it is. If good, would love to have my mom make it for my b.day one day far off into the future!

EVERYTHING GOOD BIRTHDAY CAKE (or SPECIAL OCCASION CAKE)

1 1/2cups whole-wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground nutmeg
pinch of salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup melted butter OR oil
1/2 cup fruit-juice concentrate
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup unsweetened applesauce

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine dry ingredients. Combine liquid ingredients and add to dry. Mix well. (NOTE: Beating the egg yolks seperated and adding to the wet ingredients, THEN beating the egg whites and folding them in will produce a fluffier cake). Pour mixture into a 9-inch cake pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until done. Allow to cool. Serve as is, or add frosting of your choice (of course, SB legal), like whipped cream frosting that you make yourself!
Old 10-07-2002, 10:17 AM   #4  

Default Originally posted by Jenango 06-23-2000

PUMPKIN PIE/CHEESECAKE
I know most people think of pumpkin pie as a Christmas desert but it is great anytime.

16oz cream cheese
14oz can pumpkin PUREE
4 eggs
3/4 cup cream
3/4 cup splenda
1tsp cinnamon
1tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cloves

Beat cream cheese until soft. Add remaining ingredients and blend 1 minute. pour into Pam sprayed pie pan. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes or until set. Cool on rack at room temperature, then cover and refrigerate 2 hours
Decorate with whipped cream, and walnuts or pecans

Cheesecake crust (optional)
1 1/2 cups finely chopped nuts
2 tbsp splenda
3 tbsp butter melted
Combine nuts, sweetener and butter; press onto bottom of 9" spring form cake pan. Bake at 325 for 10 minutes.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:20 AM   #5  

Default Originally posted by Debelli on 07-06-2000

I will list the recipe as it shows in the book, followed by some personal notations on this recipe

SUNFLOWER CRUNCHIES

1 3/4Cups rolled oats (this is 1+3/4C)
3 Tbl. sunflower seeds, roasted
1/4 honey
1/2c sunflower oil
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbl. sesame seeds

1. Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix together thoroughly.
2. Place teaspoonfuls of the mixture well apart on a baking sheet and flatten with a dampened palette knife.
3. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes, until golden brown.
4. Leave to cool fro 2 minutes, then transger to a rack to cool completely.

Makes about 20, freezer storage is recommended.

PERSONAL NOTESL: I acutally made these, and really liked them. If you are looking for a sweet cookie, this isn't it. It's very lightly sweetened. Eli didn't like them because his idea of sweet is putting sugar in milk, syrup in rice pudding - so you see, his idea and mine are totally different!

What I did was substitute the honey for AGAVE NECTAR. I used a little less than the 1/4c the first time, but will use the full 1/4 cup next time. Also, I thought there was a bit too much oil when I made these, and thought about trying to put in a beaten egg white with maybe some less oil next time, but once made, you really don't notice the oil. Personally, I would let the ingredients sit for a few minutes to absorb some of the moisture next time. I used parchment paper on my baking sheets and noticed they seemed to be done before the recommended 15min, so you may want to keep an eye out on these around 13 minutes or so. I used a cookie scooper (small ice cream scoop) to measure out the 20 crunchies these made. I used raw sunflower seeds and tosted them myself in a pan on the stove. Definitely keep in the freezer, they keep nice and crunchy in there.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:24 AM   #6  

Default Originally posted by Debelli on 07-20-2000

I made these the other day, and I liked them, Mom thought they weren't bad either.

I will post the recipe as in the book, then follow with my notes:

OAT SHORTBREAD COOKIES

1 CUP OAT FLOUR
1/4 SLIVERED ALMONDS
1 TSP BAKING POWDER
DASH SALT
2TBL OIL
2TBL HONEY OR OTHER SWEETENER

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Mix oat flour, almonds, baking powder, and salt well in a medium mixing bowl. Mix oil and honey in a glass or plastic measuring cup. Heat 20 seconds in the microwave to soften the honey. Mix into the dry ingredients, adding a little water if necessary to make the dough stick together.

Drop by teaspoons on baking sheet and bake about 8 minutes.

Variation: Shape the cookies into a rectangle about 1/2" thick on a cookie sheet, and cut into 12 cookies. Cut again after baking to separate.

MY NOTES: Since we aren't suppose to use honey, I substituted this for AGAVE NECTAR. They were a tad sweet for me, so next time, I may go ahead and only use 1TBL agave and 1tbl milk. Using agave, you don't have to heat the oil and agave like you would if using honey, so you can eliminate this step. I would say my dash of salt may of been a tad too much, next time, I may put just a tiny tiny bit. I rolled mine, like Meixcan Wedding Cookies. I'd definitely make them again!

Haven't tried this one, but looks pretty good!

HONEY APPLE CAKE

2CUPS WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
2 TSP BAKING POWDER
2TSP GROUND MIXED SPICE
3TBL HONEY (USE AGAVE NECTAR)
1 1/3C DRIED COPPED DATES (SUB. APRICOTS)
2 EGGS
1/2CUP UNSWEETENED APPLE JUICE
1/2 CUP SUNFLOWER OIL
1 1/3 CUPS GRATED APPLE
2 TBL CHOPPED FILBERTS

1.Grease and line and 8" round deep cake pan.
2.Place the flour in a mixing bolw, then sift in the baking powder and spice. Make a well in the cneter and add the remaining ingreidients, except the filbers. Beat together vigorously until thoroughly mixed.
3.Turn into the prepared pan and spinkle with the nuts.
4. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1-1 1/4 hours, until the cake springs back when pressed in the center. Turn onto a rack to cool.

Notes: Use dessert apples for natural sweetness, and grate apples with the skin on for extra fiber and texture.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:31 AM   #7  

Default Originally posted by Debelli on 07-27-2000

I actually made these, and liked them! I will post the recipe as in the book, then follow with my personal notations.

MANDELBROT

This Jewish specialty is a dry, lightly sweetened almond bread that falls somewhere between coffee cake and zwieback. A perfect dunker. (to me, it's much more like a biscotti!!!)

1 egg
1/4 cup honey
2TBL oil
1/8tsp salt
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4tsp almond extract
1 1/4cups WW flour
1 1/2tsp baking powder
1/3 cup coarsley chopped almonds

Preheat oven to 375F

Beat egg with honey until foamy. Beat in oil, salt, lemon juice, and almond extract. Add flour, baking powder and nuts, and mix well to form a stiff, evenly blended dough.

Pat into a loaf 3" wide, 8" long and 1" thick on an oiled, floured baking sheet.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until lightly browned. Cool slightly and, while still warm, slice into bars 1/2" wide.

Makes one 8" loaf, 16 slices

NOTATIONS: Here is how I adapted this recipe. I originally used a little less than 1/4c of AGAVE NECTAR in place of honey, but next time, will use the entire 1/4c (probably used 1tbl less originally) to give it a little more sweetness. I made my loaf quite a bit wider, about 6" wide at the widest, and tapred towards the end. Still was about 8 inches long though. I don't remember how many I ended up getting, but there isn't many left. I lowered the oven to 360F instead of the 375 (agave suggests a slighly lower over, 25 degree less, so I comprimised). Also, I baked them for 20 minutes, waited a minute or two, cut them, turned them on their side and put back in the over for 2:30 minutes and then did the same for the other side (cute sides). I have them in a plastic container. They are getting a little less "crispy" so would suggest putting in freezer, or crisping for a second in the oven. I like them a lot!!
Old 10-07-2002, 10:34 AM   #8  

Default Originally posted by Snowwoman on 08-02-2000

Chocolate Mousse Bars

2/3 c pastry whole wheat flour
1/3 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 oz unsweetened baking choc bar ( 1 1/2 square)
1 T oil
6 large egg whites
1 1/4 c sugar ( use fructose)
3/4 c unsweetened appplesauce
1/2 c plain yogurt
1 t vanilla
oven 350

1. sift together flour and cocoa.

2. melt choc in small bowl in microwave. (about 1 min)

3. beat egg whites in mixer with sugar until very white and fluffy. add appplesauce, yogurt, vanilla melted choc, and dry ingred. Lower speed and continue beating until all incorporated.

4. pour mis into baking pan. (brownie size) sprayed with pam. bake 20 - 25 min When done the center will feel firm and not liquidy.

5. cool and serve. chill for later use. cover with foil.

16 serv.
cal. 129
total fat 3 g, 21 %

Very good it's hard to eat just one.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:35 AM   #9  

Default Originally posted by Debelli on 08-18-2000

These recipes are from my new favorite book, AMERICAN WHOLEFOODS CUISINE. The reccipes are listed just as they appear in the book, and if I make any substitutions, I list them as a note at the end.

This was absolutely delicious, so I thought

ZUCCHINI LOAF CAKE

1 egg
1/3c oil
1/2c honey
2 Tbl molasses
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1c shredded, lightly packed zucchini
1 1/2c WW flour
2 Tbl soy flour
2 TBL nonfat dry milk powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2c combined sunflower seeds and chopped walnuts

Preheat over to 350F

Beat egg in large mixing bowl. Beat in oil, honey, molasses, cinnamon, and vanilla in that order. Stir in zucchini.

Combine remaining ingredients EXCEPT seeds and nuts and add to zucchini mixture, stirring. When mixture is smooth, stir in seeds and nuts. Turn into an oiled, floured 8inch loaf pan.

Bake for about 45-50 minutes, or until cake tests done. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan; transfer to a rack and cool completely.

MY NOTES: I used AGAVE NECTAR in place of the honey and molasses-same measurements. Also, when using agave, lower the oven temp to 325 and test for doneness after 40 minutes.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:37 AM   #10  

Default Originally posted by SusanV on 09-08-2000

Posted by SusanV on 09-08-2000 12:01 AM:

We have tried these and really like them.

Stevia-Sweet Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 cup butter
1/4 tsp Stevia Extract powder (used 1/2 tsp)
1 tablespoon sucanat or honey (optional-I did not use)
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup unbleached wheat flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (I used 1 cup of stone ground whole wheat instead of the 2 different kinds)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup rolled oats
1/4 chopped nuts
1/2 cup unsweetenedcarob chips

Combine first 4 ingredients including softened butter. Mix together. Gradually add the following ingredients in order. Divide into cookies and bake 10 min. @ 375 degrees. The texture will be different from conventional cookies, but eaten warm are quiet delicious.

We scooped them just like regualr cookies and they didn't flatten out as they baked so the 2nd pan I flattened a little. I like them cold just as well as warm. The recipe made about 2 dozen.

Enjoy!
Old 10-07-2002, 10:39 AM   #11  

Default Originally posted by Debelli on 09-08-2000

Another Goldbeck recipe...

WALNUT-PEACH PIE

An open face peach pie made with sweet fruit.

1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust (recipe below)
4 cups peeled, sliced peaches
2 eggs
1/3 cup agave nectar (recipe calls for honey)
2 Tbl. butter
1/2 cup coarsley chopped walnuts
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat over to 400F

Line pie pan with crust, prick all over with a fork, and bake for 10 minutes. Cool slightly while oven heat is reduced to 325F

Fill shell with peaches. Beat eggs with agave (honey) and pour over fruit. Dot with butter, cober with nuts, and sprinkle with cinnamon.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until filling is set. Cool before cutting.

TENDER PIE CRUST

An excellent crust for fruit tarts or to hold a creamed vegetable filling.

1 1/2 cups WW flour
pinch of salt
1/4 cup oil
2 tbl butter
2 tbl yogurt
1 tlb honey (or agave nectar)
3 tbl cold water (only if needed)

Combine flour and salt ina bowl. Cut in oil and butter until mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add yogurt, honey (or agave}, and water, if needed to form into a ball.

If possible, chill for about an hour before rolling or freeze for 10 minutes to make rolling easier.

Makes 2 8-inch shells or a deep double-crusted pie, or a pie with a lattice top or 12-14 tarts. Crust is not recommended for freezer storage.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:42 AM   #12  

Default Originally posted by Debelli on 09-16-2000

Here's one using STEVIA (have not tried it)

APPLESAUCE-YOGURT LOAF

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 egg
1/3 cup oil
1 cup plain yogurt
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 teaspoon stevia
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pecans

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
2. In a medium bowl, beat egg, add oil. Stir in yogurt, applesauce, stevia, vanilla, and nuts.
3. Combine yogurt mixture with dry ingredients, mixing until jsut moistened. Pour into a greased 9" X 5" loaf pan. Bake for 70 to 75 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:46 AM   #13  

Default Originally posted by Debelli on 09-29-2000

APPLE BROWN BETTY

Ingredients:
4 cups apples
1 cup toasted wheat germ
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup frozen concentrated apple juice
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 lemon

Directions: Slice 2 cups unpeeled apples into quart baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 the juice from 1/2 lemon.

Mix together in a bowl: wheat germ, rolled oats, cinnamon, thawed apple juice, and butter.

Sprinkle 1/2 oat and wheat germ mixture on top of apples. Slice the rest of the unpeeled apples on top; sprinkle with remaining lemon juice; and then sprinkle the remaining oat and wheat germ mixture over the apples.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until apples are soft and the topping is crunchy.

Serves 6.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:51 AM   #14  

Default Originally posted by Debelli on 10-17-2000

I found this recipe as a sample from a book being offered on the net. I haven't made them so can't tell you much more than what you see, but they look incredibly good!! Please let me know if anyone makes them!!

Chocolate Walnut Clusters:

1/2 Cup Stone-Ground Whole-Wheat Pastry Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Cup Egg Substitute or 1 Egg
1/4 Cup Smart Balance Margarine
1/2 Cup Pure Crystalline Fructose (can use other sweetener)
2 Teaspoons Vanilla
1 1/2 Squares Un-sweetened Bakers Chocolate
2 1/2 Cups Chopped Walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt chocolate; set aside. Combine flour, baking powder & salt; set aside. On high speed of mixer, beat egg substitute 1 minute; add margarine, fructose & vanilla; beat 1 minute on high. Add flour mixture & melted chocolate; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Fold in walnuts. Drop by teaspoon onto a cookie sheet greased with non-stick cooking spray; bake 12 minutes. Makes approximately 32 cookies.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:53 AM   #15  

Default Originally posted by Debelli on 10-19-2000

Don't remember where I got these from.

Almond-Flour Pound Cake

1 C butter
1 C Splenda
5 eggs
2 C almond flour
1 t baking powder
1 t lemon extract
1 t vanilla extract

Cream butter and Splenda well. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each. Mix flour with baking powder and add to egg mixture a little at a time while beating. Add lemon and vanilla extracts. Pour into greased 9" cake pan and bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes.

Pumpkin Cake – from Shelley Brisbin

2 cups Splenda (48 carbs)
2 cups soy flour (64 carbs)
1- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 can pumpkin (40 carbs, minus 16 fiber = 24 carbs)

Total carbs=136 grams (about 8.5 grams per slice)

Combine and mix all ingredients, and pour into one or two loaf pans or a tube cake pan. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour (1 hour was a bit too long when I did it the first time) at 350 degrees.