3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Depression and Weight Issues (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues-76/)
-   -   Is Depression the real reason? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues/97141-depression-real-reason.html)

BlessedBe 10-31-2006 09:09 PM

Is Depression the real reason?

Most of my life I have been a fairly inactive person. Exercising just wasn't fun for me. And most of my life I've been teased. So I think I've been depressed and withdrawn from things since about then. About 6 months ago my doctor put me on Effexor. My family seems to think it has helped, but I'm not too sure. I yawn continuously throughout the day, I tend to sleep up to 12 hours a day, and I never want to have anything to do with life. When I got fired from my job, I was so tempted to do something terrible. And lately I WANT to start losing weight, cause I think it'd help me, but I can't seem to. I just want to lay in bed and have nothing to do with living. I'm 25, single, live at home, have no job currently, and have only one friend. I see nothing to really get up and live for. The only thing I want to do is play my online game. Is this my depression, or could it be some other health problem? Or am I just lazy and this is all in my head?

fiddler 10-31-2006 10:24 PM

It really sounds like you need to try a different anti-depressant. Have you told your doctor how you feel after taking the Effexor for 6 months? If not, you should, IMMEDIATELY. And if your doctor treats your symptoms casually, you need to find a new doctor, one who is experienced in prescribing psychotropic meds.

Aside from that, understand that exercising isn't fun for most of us, at least when we first start. However, once you get into a regular exercise routine, it does make you feel better.

BlessedBe 10-31-2006 11:07 PM

I plan to make an appointment soon. And I have tried different things for making exercise more fun. Dance videos, equipment, just doing whatever comes to mind. But the videos are so hard for me to follow. I have been thinking about a bellydancing video. Anyone know any that are really easy to follow? I have no rythym at all. :P

srmb60 11-01-2006 06:12 AM

It's not unusual for folks to need to experiment a bit with meds. Your doctor will fully understand that the first one didn't work. It happens all the time.
There are plenty! He/she will help you find the right one.

In the mean time ... I want you to come to 3FC several times a day and read. Let us help you to even just get up and move a bit. It does help your state of mind ... exercise and us ;)

KnitALisa 11-01-2006 09:27 AM

I third the different med recommondation. It's taken me and my doctor a long time to find a combination and dosage that works for me. Everything else either bombarded me with side affects, made me gain 20 lbs, made my heart race and gave me horrible insomnia, or increased my panic attacks. You get the point. It really is a guessing game to find what works for your brain chemistry and body.

Also, SusanB is right. I come to 3FCs all the time; whenever I'm feeling down, unmotivated, whatever, these awesome ladies (and guys) perk me right back up with their sucesses and empathy. It really helps to have a support system that's right there in the trenches with you!

Allycatisfat 11-01-2006 10:58 AM

Can I ask how long you play the computer game?

BlessedBe 11-01-2006 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allycatisfat (Post 1457009)
Can I ask how long you play the computer game?

Heh... Oh dear... You really want to know? I can play at least 12 hours a day if given the chance. I have to get up and move a lot, but I still can play that long. It's my only source for fun and something different in life. My only escape.

Tara D 11-01-2006 07:32 PM

I definitely think you should see your doctor about the depression. From personal experience, I also think that sometimes if you feel that you are not being productive in daily life that can add to feelings of depression.

In the past when I've been unemployed I've found that I feel better if at the end of the day I've done something that amounts to something. (Something that helps either yourself or others). This can be even just getting a resume together or looking into educational or job opportunities (or anything else like doing what you can to help around the house -- have dinner ready when your parents get home or try to do something else for them)! How would that make both of you feel?! They'd probably be happy and it might give you a little boost. It's like a little pick-me-up.

By no means to I mean to say that it's a cure for depression, but it may help you with your feelings that you have nothing to get up for. Even if you don't find a job right away, at least you'll be able to feel that you did something productive. If you do find a job that fits you, it may help you get more into life so that your day doesn't consist of 4 walls -- that may help you feel better too. Volunteering might be a good choice too since you have time on your hands (and you can find something that's low stress) -- it may help you feel better about yourself and in general.

sweet_pea 11-02-2006 03:47 AM

BlessedBe there is a lot going on here that could be related to meds but also some things that aren't related to meds.

Are you seeing a therapist or counsellor? Meds on their own rarely work. Usually people recover best with a combination of meds, counselling and lifestyle changes (like diet, exercise, building friendships, establishing good habits). Contrary to the others I don't think changing meds is necessarily going to help. I think a visit to the doctor would be good, just to check that your thyroid and other physical complaints have been ruled out, but with the loss of your job and other major changes in your life counselling or therapy should go hand in hand with meds.

My suggestion for the exercise is to get an exercise buddy or personal trainer to hold your hand for the first month until you get into the habit of exercising.

The tiredness from the effexor is a common side effect, however if you were to spend 12 hrs sleeping and 12 hrs playing games it wouldn't leave much time for anything else so sometimes you have to force yourself to establish activity patterns and make yourself do things. Just start small - 20 mins a day walking or doing your exercise videos. At first it will be tough but then it will star to get easier and you will get more energy.

Do you have friends? Getting out and spending time with some friends may help you!

srmb60 11-02-2006 07:01 AM

Do you have an mp3 or diskman? Do you like music?

I can literally sit in a chair and let music wash over me, however ... I can also enjoy a little walk to some of my favourite tunes. Fresh air!

cathyxxx 11-02-2006 10:17 AM

BlessedBe,

I've only read your post and question and not the responses bec I'm really rushed but wanted to say that this definitely could be a health problem, and you really need to check it out to make sure if it is or isn't.

You can have your doc run complete and thorough bloodwork to check or rule out several things, but you need to make sure that he runs these specific thyroid tests, to make sure that you are not dealing with a thyroid problem.

FREE T3
FREE T4
TSH
THYROGLOBULIN ANTIBODIES
THYROID PEROXIDASE ANTIBODIES

Docs only ran the TSH and T3 Uptake on me for over 20 years and my thyroid problem was missed, but these more accurate thyroid tests usually catch the problem. www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

I'm hurrying but if I can help you with any thyroid info or anything at all please just holler.

Cathy

marbleflys 11-02-2006 02:21 PM

Hi BBe; (and all the others who remember me....Leenie, CATHY! Joanne.... hope you ladies are well--this is my first trip back here in a few months, I need to update my stats)

Blessedbe;
you are 25 years old, you are an adult who needs to get up and start taking care of yourself...who pays your bills? health insurance? who buys your food and meds? you spend 12 hours sleeping, and 12 hours playing an on-line game???? and you want to do nothing else, have no friends.....mommy and daddy support you? boo-hoo

Honey, be THANKFUL you have 2 young strong legs and the ability to be anything you want to be, so many others would give their thumbs to be young enough to take charge, have a chance at a long, healthy life....

try to look at this as an opportunity to be what you really want to be. Obviously, Effexor isn't the best thing, go to your doc, tell him/her you are lethargic with desire to function and contribute.

best of luck to your helping yourself.

BlessedBe 11-02-2006 06:37 PM

I have an appointment with my doc this coming Tuesday. I'll ask her what tests they ran when they last did a thyroid test on me. As for everything else.. I know it seems like I'm one big drama queen, and I expect a huge pity party, but that's the last thing I want. I want to change. I just don't think I can do it alone. And I don't have any friends, except one who works 40 hours and has a kid plus a deadbest boyfriend. Long story there...

If I had the money I would see a personal trainer or nutritionist for help. And as for therapy... If I can find one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg I would go. I've just had bad luck with them in the past. Oi, save me from the small town junk around here. ;P But I am trying. This new video I got seems really easy, though it doesn't put the dancing together. I'm looking at classes right now.

As for candy cravings, I'll take almost any ideas for things I can snack on constantly that won't hurt me. So far I've tried unsalted sunflower seeds, salted soy nuts, and even grapes.

sweet_pea 11-03-2006 03:07 AM

If you can't afford therapy then maybe you could go to the library and get out some books. There are some good ones with exercises you can work through that will help you change the way you think

In the meantime, explore the other threads here and look to join in an exercise challenge. You might find a buddy there and help each other keep on track and do 20-30mins a day of walking or dancing or gardening or something else.

Meditation is free! You could maybe try to learn that too :D

Good luck

sweet_pea 11-03-2006 03:09 AM

sugar cravings - that's a hard one but nuts and seeds are good. raw fruit (not juice or dried fruit), water with lemon juice (as it takes away desire for sweet things), brushing your teeth.

Also get rid of all the sugar in the house or put it out of sight (not on the bench and not at eye level). The easier it is to see the more likely you are to be tempted