Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-23-2006, 07:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Default Depression Coping Techniques

What coping strategies weight related and sanity related do you use to get through your depression moments. I took a mental health day today because I'm struggling with remembering what the point of anything is.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:55 AM   #2  
The High-Carb Rebel

S/C/G: 175ish/175ish/145ish

Video games are an excellent way to unwind! If you're too cool for games, though, funny movies cheer me up, too. I watched This is Spinal Tap last night with friends and it was great. Some people like yoga, too. I haven't tried it, personally ^^*
lessthansign3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:47 AM   #3  
Determined

I understand where you are coming from, and congratulations on your progress so far with weight loss. Just take a day to do whatever you think is fun. Watch a movie, go shopping, work out, get your nails done etc.. Hope you feel better.
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:51 AM   #4  

I'm more relaxed right now since there is nothing or anybody stressing me. This morning just blow drying my hair was stressing me out. I need strategies while I'm at work or dealing with kids.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:33 AM   #5  
210 / 193 / 140

It depends... coping is a skill I'm still trying to develop. Right now I'm dealing with an episode of depression that was, ironically, brought on by taking a weekend off and doing something fun. I attended a science-fiction convention, which I loved because of all the contact with the intelligent, creative writers, artists, and scientists there... then I had to come back home to my everyday routine of boredom, isolation, difficulty finding a job in the field I trained so hard for, and this dreadful dilapidated fixer-upper house that DH insisted we buy years ago. Doing something fun isn't going to help me right now, but maybe if I get to work around the house or in my sewing room, and accomplish something useful, it'll get me past this episode. And I will definitely try to get a good workout today. That's a very important coping mechanism for me.
Margarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:27 PM   #6  
The High-Carb Rebel

S/C/G: 175ish/175ish/145ish

Some people find meditation or listening to music to be helpful. Maybe get some sort of portable music device (I <3 my ipod) and put some relaxing music on it. Close your eyes (without falling asleep) and take a little me-time.

I've been having lots of relaxing me-time lately and it feels great. It's so cool to have doctor's orders to NOT go to school!!!
lessthansign3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 06:03 PM   #7  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

I am finding that accomplishing something concrete, something tangible, allows me to say "well, at least i did this today" and it could be filing away the paid bills, or straightening one of my bureau drawers, or tidying up a bit in the living room so it's noticeable.

An exercise workout is definitely a morale booster, also.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:32 PM   #8  

i find going for a walk helps me, reading books, watching anything funny. also the other thing is journalling. i always feel better on the days i journal. i aim to write at least 2 pages or for at least 20 minutes. it helps me get perspective on things

hot baths are good. sitting in the sun

i also use rational emotive therapy to analyse if something specific is upsetting me and change the way i am looking at things

talking to friends is good
dancing is fantastic

deep breathing works for me. i have never mastered meditation but i just do deep breaths in and out for a few minutes sitting with closed eyes and that helps

watching my dogs play! my pets give me so much joy. cuddling the cat or the dogs
sweet_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:16 PM   #9  
(Male)

Height: 5'9.5"

Things that help:

Exercise, particularly if I have to breathe hard. Swimming may be the best.

Happy music, happy movies, happy books. Nothing you have to think about too much.

Mental exercises from the Feeling Good book.
Jman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:03 PM   #10  

I do meditation from the "full catastrophe living" book of kabat-zinn
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:57 AM   #11  

These are all great suggestions! Sometimes I just have to MAKE myself get going, knowing that I will feel better. I am obsessed with numbers for some goofy reason. So, I tell myself - "OK, girl, do 10 things big or small and then you can..." read, call that friend, whatever is something I would really like to do. It usually jumpstarts something forward moving.
Another thing I thought of when I read Margarita's post is that I love to watch home improvement/design shows. They really get me motivated when I need to clean the house or start a project.
Just remember, you have licked it in the past and you can again. One step at a time.
swarmina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:56 AM   #12  

I just ride it out.................I know the moment, or day, or week will pass. When I am feeling good I go hard, cause I never know how long it will last.
I also try to do some "cognitive therapy", support myself with people who are good for me, avoid negative and toxic people, and try not to take things too seriously at work, or home........I have to find my own happiness, no one else will make me happy. Just one day at a time.

L
liz321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 05:34 PM   #13  

The moment has gone. It was a medicine change that did it. I ususally can enlist any number of techniques to get through, but I was having trouble just being in the MOMENT much less coach myself through the day or look back and talk myself through it. The day I woke up having panic attacks just having to blow dry my hair, I stayed home.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:13 PM   #14  

i need to force myself to get going too. it does help when i do it but often i am so tired and fatigued that it all seems too much effort
sweet_pea is offline   Reply With Quote