Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-01-2005, 09:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Default Freaky Fab Friday~7/1

good morning gang!
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:36 AM   #2  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Smile

Good morning, cathyxxx! How is your freaky fab Friday going so far?

Best wishes for good health,
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:44 AM   #3  

just wanted to start this up!

Sorry I haven't been around the past 2 days. I have been so busy that I don't know if I'm coming or going. Besides regular stuff my youngest son's best friend got severe food poisoning and had to be rushed to the hospital late Wednesday night. They thought he was dying - it was awful. So yesterday I was back and forth to the hospital all day and stayed with him after from til late so his parents could finally get a little sleep. He is much better now and hopefully will get to go home later today.

Lots to do here at work today.

Welcome to all the newbies. I see we have another one from Louisiana! are you surviving this humid heat girlie? stay in the house!

I'm hoping we'll be hearing from Cin soon!

hope everybody has a blessed day!

hugs,
cathy
Old 07-01-2005, 09:55 AM   #4  

Hey Chris - It is very nice to meet ya! I see you are in CA - how hot is it over there? were you around any of the recent earthquakes? yikes!

Chris - I noticed in your post from yesterday that you mentioned being diagnosed with bipolar. I just wanted to mention that I have a son that was diagnosed with some chemical imbalances and I have thrown myself into researching this kind of stuff to death. We found out that my son actually has a low thyroid problem, and then we were also able to get his doc to treat my low thyroid symptoms that I have been complaining with for 20 years. We are both feeling so much better - me physically and him mentally!!!!

Of course - I'm not a doctor - just an obsessed mother!

But I posted a lot of info under the "Depression Articles" thread about the thyroid connection to mental problems. One of the last articles I posted was about researchers finding a link between thyroid problems and bipolar. Just wanted to encourage you to read the info posted on that thread - in hopes that some of that might be helpful to you in some way.

The thread is 3 pages long and starts at:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...6&page=1&pp=15

I would be glad to help if I can.

hugs,
Cathy
Old 07-01-2005, 10:36 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Good Morning

I'm sorry I can't stay and play but I'll be back later.

Chris

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:14 AM   #6  
CIN

Default Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Good Morning
Happy Friday to all of you! I am home after a 16 day hospital visit and home NEVER looked so good!

I am praising God for a great recovery...........I am doing supernaturally well for someone who had 90% of her large intestine removed! I cant THANK HIM enough for seing me through this and I thank each of you who prayed for me! Prayers works!

I am resting a lot but HAD to post in my favorite spot!

I hading of support from family,work family and church family.............it was awesome and continues to be.

I will check back again later.....cant sit for long!

Love

Cin~
CIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 01:29 PM   #7  
prepare for the BEST time

CIN!!!! You have been greatly missed! I was thinking at first that your were on an extended exotic vaaacaaa. I'm glad your health is improved and you look like you have been to a spa.... take it easy and rest yourself.

Hiya to everyone else, Happy Canada Day, Happy 4th of JUUULLLYYY!!!! I'm super-busy at work and can't play, but will check in over the weekend.

WELCOME to all the new ladies.....I sure am glad to hear that someone else gets up early to work out with me! (except today, I started exams at 7AM, so I could exercise, I had to prepare myself to be presentable at work instead---that is abig process!)

Have a great weekend and remember.......eat salad, not hot-dogs!
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 01:35 PM   #8  
prepare for the BEST time

P. S.....has anyone visited the "calorieking" site (usual prefix and endings)? I'd like an opinion....I find fitday annoying to use.... thanks for the info.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 04:21 PM   #9  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Smile

Hi everyone,

Well, I have done good so far today. I got up at 4:30am (actually, at 2:30am because the cat was fighting outside) and went to the gym at 5:00am. I spent 20 minutes jogging and walking on the treadmill...I hate cardio! Then, I went for breakfast with a friend and ordered something really healthy and took 1/2 of it home. I ordered the "Zen Breakfast" which was egg whites, brown rice, tofu and squash in a terriyaki sauce. It was delicious! That is the first time I've ever been able to box 1/2 of it up as soon as it comes to the table...usually, I will say "I will stop halfway through and box it" and then never do it because I eat it all! A new milestone for me.

cathyxxx- Nice to meet you, too! No, luckily, we haven't felt the earthquakes...I think we are away from the fault line enough that we don't really feel them. I've lived here for 11 years and have been lucky enough to avoid being in one. Thanks for the info on the connection between bipolar and the thyroid...I've already had my thyroid checked out though, when I gained all this weight. It was normal. That is interesting information and I'll pass that on to a friend of mine that is also bipolar. It's amazing the new things that are being discovered about mental disorders.

CIN- congratulations on your great recovery.

Wishing you all great health,
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 05:03 PM   #10  

Chris - not to drive you crazy with this, but when you say you had your thyroid checked and that it was normal.....

2 questions - did they simply run the TSH and/or T3 uptake?
and did you get copies of your blood work?

The reason I ask is because usually doctors are only running the TSH and maybe the T3 uptake. These tests can be very misleading and miss the problem. This info is in the thread that I posted, but in order to find the problem these are the tests that need to be run.

Free T3
Free T4
TSH and
antibodies tests (there are 2 of them)

The other thing is, even when the correct tests are done, which is usually when you specifically request them, sometimes the docs will simply say "normal" bec your numbers are "within the range". In order for someone with mental problems to feel better it is most important that their Free T3 be in the upper 1/3 of the range.

For that reason and many others, I always encourage everyone to get a copy of their bloodwork.

That being said, Chris, would you happen to have copies of your last blood work that was done to check your thyroid? if so I would love to look at your numbers and see if I see anything.

If you think I'm nuts - just ignore me - but I just truly hate to see anyone struggling if they have a thyroid problem that is being missed.

hope I'm not bothering you - I simply want to help.

take care,
Cathy
Old 07-01-2005, 05:16 PM   #11  

BOO TO YOU .... CINDY LOU

IT IS SO GOOD TO SEE YOU

POST WHEN YOU CAN CINDY LOU

BUT REMEMBER - DON'T OVER DO!

I AM PRAYING FOR YOU!

hugs,
cathy

p.s. awwwwwww look I rhymed!
Old 07-01-2005, 05:30 PM   #12  
Walking by faith

Smile Hi Ladies....

CIN! God IS GOOD!

Cathy: You're a poet, and you don't know it!

Marble: Is orientation over yet ? Enjoy your nice LONG weekend!

Leenie: Tell the it's time to go home and enjoy the holiday!

Chris: Glad you're here A good friend of mine is bipolar. She's been taking Depacote for years. She has a problem with weight gain, mostly from the anti-psychotic meds like Risperdal and Geodon. She exercises and watches her food portions. They're coming out with new meds every day. Hopefully they'll find meds that don't have the side effect of weight gain.

April & Liz: Happy Canada Day!

Not much going on here. We might go to the ballgame tonite..gotta count our pennies

Enjoy your weekend!
Stepping Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 05:48 PM   #13  
Oooo Silly Me!

CIN – HEY! So Glad you are back and in good spirts!

Trooworld – Welcome I can’t believe you havne’t felt an earthquake and you’ve been in California 11 years!! WOW! You didn’t feel the one that was 5.6 out in umm… I can’t think of the area… it was recent, just before the Yucaipa one.

Marble – I use Calorieking…. But only to get nutritional info on the foods I don’t have info for. It’s a great site for that. I use Dietpower which is like fitday but you have it on your own computer is SOOO much better than fitday. I too found fitday a bit annoying. But as far as CalorieKing and it’s nutritional info it’s good, can’t tell you much more about it tho.

It was fun last night, some friends from the bowling alley invited me out to dinner and we all got together and had some fun. My cell phone was ringing non-stop with birthday wishers hehehe. I truly appreciate all of you who wished me a Happy Birthday, it’s nice to know people think about ya.

Today I have bowling, but I called in a friend to sub for me since I won’t be bowling. :’(

Anyways I have some questions for you ladies… anyone have any good ideas or recipes for Tuna Fish?

Thanks everyone!
Sue…
SueMarie301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:00 PM   #14  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hi everybody.

CIN, glad you're doing so good. That's an answer to prayers. I sure hope you keep on such a good recovery.

Cathy and Chris, I also have the low thyroid problem, but also the bipolar. I can't say that I noticed a difference in my mental health symptoms but it hasn't hurt either. The nicest thing is not being cold all of the time.

I have 1 hour left of work, then it's summer vacation for 5 weeks. I am so excited. The work day has been a bit boring since I'm done with everything for the summer. The last hour is going to be really blah since the other threads I post on have been quiet.

I went for a walk with a co-worker at lunch and it's about 90 degrees outside. But there was a nice wind and we had a good time. I think I will swim when I get home to cool off. I'm a little sticky at the moment.

Eating wise hasn't been bad, but just okay. I plan to buckle down at the beginning of August. I don't see a reason to struggle to lose a couple pounds just to gain them back on the cruise.

Well talk to you later.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:17 PM   #15  

MMarie, may I ask, do you take synthroid, levoyxl or armour thyroid?
and have you had a chance to read the info I posted on the depression thread?

the reason I ask is bec if you have been diagnosed as bipolar and have a low thyroid problem that you are being treated for....if your bipolar is not any better on the thyroid treatment, then I would think that would be due to one of two things....

either you are on a T4 only drug like synthroid or levoyxl and not getting the T3 that you desperately need with mental problems, or you are not getting a high enough dosage to treat your symptoms

I am also warmer since taking 3 grains of Armour. My temp was running 97.2 and now it runs around 98.4 or so. Once I increased to 3 grains then my hair quit falling out like crazy, I finally started losing some weight and got my temp up to closer to normal, my skin is not so dry, I can concentrate and think better, I'm not so worried/concerned about things. I just feel better all the way around!!!!

Last edited by cathyxxx; 07-01-2005 at 11:13 PM.