Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-27-2005, 08:16 AM   #1  

Talking Small goals

Hi Everyone,
I've noticed a few of you have posted statements about your depression stating goals that you would like to accomplish.
The first thing to remember is in order to work on the big stuff like weight loss or financial situations etc.... You have to work on the small basic stuff first like sleep,nutrition and exercise.
Think about it, how can anyone possibly get anything accomplished if theyre sleep schedule is all messed up?
Try setting small goals for yourself. Like, if you want to exercise more but you cant find the motivation to do it. Try walking for as little as 5 minutes at a time. You will see how good you feel about your accomplishment.
Goal orientation can also be used when accessing therapist and psychiatrists and taking psychotropic medication. Remember, therapists,psychiatrists and psychotropic medications are only there to guide you not to cure you.
I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder back in 1996. I have been through the gamet as far as psychiatrists, therapists and medications are concerned. I spent many years bouncing from one medication to the next and flip flopping from depression and mania. Finally I started to realize that I had control over a lot of what was happening. I started realizing that I could change poor choices, inappropriate behavior. The bottom line was, I could make choices. And no one could help me but myself. I started accessing psychiatrists, therapists and medications and using them as a tool in conjunction with other things to gain stability.
I have been stable now for over a year now with the help of psychiatrists, therapists and medications.
Thanks for reading this.
Annamcd is offline   Reply With Quote