Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-30-2004, 09:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: H178/S170/140/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Twists & Turns

Well this has certainly been a week.

Sometimes I think God gives us a kick in the pants. I got mine this week. It's still stinging.

Many years ago, and I mean many... I used to go to a group ACoA. For those of you who are not familiar with the 12 step groups, it's Adult Children of Alcoholics. I don't know why I quit going. It was a good group. Perhaps I just wasn't ready. I couldn't do Step 3, which is:

Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

It means letting go of control. Or what we think is control.

Long story... but with my son in rehab right now (he's doing day treatment and is home most evenings), I suddenly recalled ACoA while cooking supper earlier this week. It was one of those "aha" moments. I have never believed in coincidences, so I think this one of those God-kicks.

I can't find an active group locally (and no answer at the contact number, tho I will keep trying being that it's summer), but I've found an online meeting room and have been doing a lot of reading at that messageforum as well.

My back continues to get better. I had my 6th visit with physio today. I have permission to return to the gym, with modifications/reduced sets/ reduced time on elliptical, etc. and have to go slow. She says it could be a good 6 weeks til I'm back to where I was. Who knew washing and drying a car by hand could do this! Anyway, I will go tomorrow and just do some cardio, some stretching, and a few of the exercises the physio gave me for my back. On Monday, I'll do some lower or upper body depending on how my back is. It's still sore, but at least it's bearable, and I haven't taken any pain killers for two days now.

Son has found a roommate. Things were tense there. He thought there was another one but it fell thru. Of course, in my usual controlling way, I am trying to get him to phone for apt while he has a guy lined up. And, what is it up here? The LONG WEEKEND!!!! So we have to wait til Tuesday for more phoning, tho he will try some tomorrow.

I really have difficulty letting go... I catch myself a lot the past few days.

I have been lurking and praying for those with difficulties, as I pray for healing for myself... spiritually (and physically ). Each and every one of you ladies is special to me. I won't post individually to you all tonight, but know you are in my thoughts and prayers.
JudoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 11:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Well hey there girlie!

It's so good to see a post from you!

Glad to hear your back is better and that you will be able to get back to the gym even tho you'll need to take it easy. Hopefully you will be back to normal soon.

I've never heard of ACoA, but it sounds like a good support group. I would think that all of us ladies/moms/wives have trouble giving up control - don't ya think.

It's good to hear from you! I hope you get a good night's sleep and have some sweet and peaceful dreams!

hugs,
Cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 11:53 PM   #3  

Hey Judo

I hear your pain and my thoughts and prayers are with you......I admire your strength.......hang in there.........as long as this difficult time lasts my thoughts are with you.

Eliz
liz321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 04:41 AM   #4  
Searching

Is ACoA different from Al-anon? I have read the Al-anon book and it is wonderful. Loving guidance for living. God bless and protect you during this time Judo mom! That turning my life and my will over to the God of my understanding is huge stuff. Most the time I am living in the I am powerless over food, and it makes my life unmanageable end. Take care!

Chris
rochemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 09:13 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi JudoMom,

Yes I have heard of ACoA, my dad was an alcoholic (thank God my mom was not).

I have to agree with you that letting go and giving it to the Lord is a hard thing to do, we tend to want to fix everything ourselves. I do believe that the Lord helps us, especially when we ask, but we are also not supposed to just sit still. Another words, if we pray and pray for His help dieting, we just cant go to drive thru after drive thru ordering milk shakes and expect to lose weight, we must take responsibility and take control that way. Does this make sense ? I suck at writing so what my brain is telling me, doesn't always come out right on paper.

I've never attended anything like those meetings, actually I never heard of them until a few years ago when I was chatting with Tippy, she mentioned it. Maybe I should look into it again.

I'm so glad your back is getting better, and I know your thrilled.

Isn't it amazing how God show's us what we need to know, He's in front of us all the time and we choose to ignore Him. We are usually to preoccupied with other things to take a few minutes to thank Him or realize He is right along side of us.

HUGS !!!!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 10:17 AM   #6  

Default RoChemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochemist
Is ACoA different from Al-anon? I have read the Al-anon book and it is wonderful. Loving guidance for living. God bless and protect you during this time Judo mom! That turning my life and my will over to the God of my understanding is huge stuff. Most the time I am living in the I am powerless over food, and it makes my life unmanageable end. Take care!

Chris
Hi Chris,

They are similar. They follow the same 12 step program, which in turn is based on AA. The difference being AlAnon doesn't always mean you grew up with an alcoholic parent. On the other hand, many of us marry alcoholics, so either group can be beneficial. I went to AlAnon for a few weeks before I found out about ACoA (this was about 18 or 19 years ago). I think it's like anything else, you need to check the groups out until you find one you are comfortable with. I really wish I had stayed with ACoA, but I wandered over to OA. And that particular group was not a healthy group, although I didn't know it at the time. Nice people, but they focused so much on past pain and anger and never got into working the steps.

Anyway, I've posted a new thread with some more information and some links if you are interested.

Have a great weekend! And thank you so much for your warm thoughts. It has been a very trying summer emotionally and recently, physically.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:20 AM   #7  

From what I've gathered from reading about children who had or have alcoholic parents, it's the lack of control that they see or saw that is a big problem. As children, we expect our mama and daddy to be in control of everything that is in our lives. When that isn't or wasn't there it is more traumatic than has been realized. That's why adult children of alcoholic parents tend to be very controling.
Tippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 10:36 PM   #8  

my son.. who just completed his rehab on Sunday... just got back to work on Monday....came in the door drunk about 1/2 hour ago... i can't stop crying
Old 08-21-2004, 12:07 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Oh Judomom,
I am so sorry!
I don't even know what to say girlie!
but just wanted to tell you that I'm thinking
of you and your family and that I'm praying for ya'll.
hugs & prayers,
cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 01:21 AM   #10  

Judo so sorry for your pain....it hurts when you love someone so much!

hugs to you

Eliz
liz321 is offline   Reply With Quote