Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-02-2022, 10:12 AM   #1  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Default January 2022 Ups and Downs Beating Depression Thread

to all. We are a small but mighty group of friends who are dealing with different aspects of depression. We welcome anyone, if you'd like to share as much as you want or just know that you are thought of kindly

Last edited by VermontMom; 01-02-2022 at 11:09 PM.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 05:31 PM   #2  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Holly: Thank you for starting the January 2022 thread! Happy New Year, everyone!!! 🎉

Well, my hubby doesn't want to go back to therapy (says it's "pointless"), so I might not have to worry about dealing with the therapist who made me uncomfortable at our last session. But, sadly, we REALLY need the marital counseling after years of building tension. I cancelled our session for this Monday, and I admit that I'm a little relieved, but I do hope we will go back sometime soon. Hubby is usually willing to go, so hopefully he will change his mind. I don't remember the therapist saying this, but he said that she told us it will get worse before it gets better. Please, if you don't mind, send some prayers or positive thoughts our way. We need them!

My gosh, Holly, your strength with the sand tubes (and all of your hard work around your house) amazes me! You are a bad a$$!!!

I'm sorry you are still dealing with some anxiety and stress at your new job. I sure hope your manager continues to be patient with you. The others there have to see what a hard worker you are and that you are very willing to learn. That should definitely account for something.

We had a fun New Year's Eve! My son and his girlfriend and my daughter and I went to our favorite restaurant/bar right down the street for dinner and drinks. We go there often, so we know many of the servers and bartenders, which makes it so much fun. Hubby was supposed to go but backed out, so he was our DD. The restaurant closed at 10pm but they always let people stay after. Then, we came back and toasted the New Year in with champagne. 🍾 It was a lot of fun, but we went to a hockey game at 1pm on New Year's day, and I was hungover the whole time.

Do you ladies have any big New Year's resolutions? One of mine (and a birthday gift to myself) is to work out much more often in the coming year. I am taking inspiration from my 92-year-old Dad who still walks on the treadmill every day for 20 minutes!!! With that in mind, I figure that I really do not have any excuses. I am actually excited about getting healthier this year!

I hope everything is well with both of you, Holly and Ann! Like Holly, I still think of all of our other good friends from this group who we haven't heard from in awhile... and I so hope that all is well with them, too! 🙏 Wishing you all good health, peace of mind, and much happiness in the coming year. ❤

IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 11:47 PM   #3  
Biker Chick!

Hi Kathleen!! oh man sounds like you had a GREAT New Year's Eve!! with family and a favorite restaurant where you know the staff-nice!! LOL at your hangover the next day, you play you pay right

I am sorry to hear the husband thinks the couple's therapy is pointless, does that make you sad? I hope not I can imagine the relief though at the thought of NOT having to endure uncomfortable sessions! Bleh to having to go through WORSE before better! I sent you all kinds of hope and love and prayers and positive thoughts your way!

And Yay to your Dad!! kudos for your Resolution. I guess I don't have any, because I probably won't stick to them...I guess always trying to eat well and keep a healthy weight, strength, flexibility in my advancing years

Yes I still have extreme anxiety each day at work. Most days it eases up a bit when I just keep on and try to tackle things one at a time. A co-worker who is so great to me says 'hey, no one is bleeding, any error CAN be fixed, you are trying your best, that is great'. And I do agree with those statements but I am so embarrassed that it takes me so long, if ever, to grasp things the other 3 trainees 'got' in the first 2 weeks; i've been there almost a month now. I am just so afraid of things I don't know. My Manager is still very kind and patient. And she has kept me off the phones which would have been just impossible, as I was barely managing processing the mail orders. I *should* be answering the phone and taking orders with my computer screen, as the others are She knows I am trying and I am going in with good attitude, that is my best. I'm also supposed to be checking the Outlook email for Questions from customers; check for voicemails and faxes; I never imagined how much this job entailed. Tomorrow my Manager is supposed to start coaching me through answering the HG line (Home Gardener) and taking their orders. I am trying not to think about it too much and getting my stomach all hurting again. I know the power of mind over matter and I need to STOP the negative thoughts. Sorry for the LONG LONG rant!
Old 01-04-2022, 06:56 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 242.6/227.4/139

Height: 5' 4"

good morning Holly and Kathleen,
Had a great holiday, my daughter's MRI was clear and bloodwork was great, big relief.
Back home from Vt this afternoon. Nice to be home but lonely after 2 weeks with BF, family and dogs.
I stayed on program, but I didn't log food and could not weigh myself so will weigh in tomorrow morning. I did do a Keto test strip and i was dark purple, so happy, have not had that good of a test since I started, so the scale better reflect my efforts too.

Holly, so sorry for what is happening at work, I think it was 3-4 months for me before everything clicked. I wasn't dealing with customers so I did not have that pressure. One thing I did every night about 20 minutes before I left was to make a list of what I would do next if I had another 4 hours. When I came in the next morning, I used the list to 'hit the ground running' really got my head in the right place and accomplished a lot. Wow on the sand! lot of weight, more than I care to deal with for sure

Kathleen, I tried counseling for marriage once, hubby would not go, so I went myself, it was a bit helpful in sorting out my thoughts, reactions, responses. I hope he comes around and you find one that you are comfortable with. Oh yes your dad is a great role model, but it is easier to find time to exercise if you aren't working. I am retired so I SHOULD have no excuses.

I don't do New Years resolutions, I started this food plan in December and will continue for life hopefully. A relative of DBF was telling me he bought an exercise bike and started using it every day for at least 45 minutes and has totally relieved his arthritis pain in his knee- he had one replacement a few years ago and is trying to avoid another. So on NYE I ordered a recumbent bike and it came today. I managed to drag the box from the driveway into the house and all the way to the other side. Tomorrow I will unbox and put it together. Plan is 10-15 minutes per day for first week. I put it in a spare bedroom where I have a TV. I might order a cycling DVD so it appears I am going through nice trails, hoping to not get bored with it.

Cold today we only got up to 20 degrees and 4-8 inches of snow coming on Friday; Holly I suspect you may be getting that as well. DBF lives in Rutland he is geting it as well.

Busy day tomorrow, I need to pull SD cards from game cams and put up a new one I got for Christmas. After getting the bike working, I need to go into woods to get SD cards from game cams and instal a new one I got for a gift.

I have some new Keto recipes to try, doing this will keep it from getting old and I even found a store online with zero carb bread, I ordered 6 and will put 5 in the freezer. This week making flank steak with chimmichuri sauce and riced cauliflower. Ground beef in tomato sauce with 'cabbage noodles'. Roasted red pepper cream sauce with Skinny Pasta fettucini and asparagus. I will make enough for 2 dinners and should get me through til Sunday.
Gone Astray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 08:31 AM   #5  
Biker Chick!

Good morning Ann and Kathleen!

Ann you have the best news about your daughter's MRI clear and bloodwork being great!

and yay to you for committing to your way of eating that is working for you. And for the bike! I have a friend who has the deal with the biking programs and he likes biking through Tuscany, mountains, etc

Thanks for your input and thoughts on acclimating to new jobs. I do like your thought of 'what would I do if I had 4 more hours'. I used to think something like that when in the deli or cash register, 'what would I like to have prepared if 50 people came in at once'. I am still not secure in looking at the screen of the page of Sales Orders, how to navigate to find the info I need. It has not helped with the one Covid case making us separate. And I get embarrassed at each day or week that goes by that I don't know some basics There is not a section in the manual that describes what each selection 'does' otherwise I'd be reading that all night to bone up. I just will keep going in with the best attitude I can.

We hardly got any snow from Sat/Sunday's storm, barely 2"! I'm glad of that. Even if that doesn't sound like much, still have to clear paths, driveway and the top of the driveway where the State plow will push much more.

I have an altered schedule for work, instead of 9-5 I'm 10-6, which I do like better.

(I tried to fix my typo on "January" but it's still a typo lol)
Old 01-05-2022, 04:39 PM   #6  

Good afternoon,
I wrote a lengthy post this am but it wouldn't post. Try to recreate.

Holly, I feel for you on the work issues where the info you need is not in the manual. Could you go to your boss and say " would you allow me to spend an hour or so on or off the clock to go through the screens, make my own notes and instructions so I can get up to speed faster?" This might let you relax and spend the time navigating the menu, file location, screens, paths etc. I always made my own instructions using the Shift+Control+ Print Screen buttons to capture the screen then just paste it in Word and add my own text.

I got the bike together took over 2 hours, I was sore from standing on my head to put in the bottom seat screws, I did 10 minutes last night and just did 10 for today. Going to take it slow so I don't overdue and end up missing days-as I usually do.

I got xmas stuff down into basement, picked up the game camera cards-got a lot of gray fox, a deer and a large coyote.

My zero carb keto bread came today, not impressed but I bought 6 loaves so I will have to find a way to like it.

Off to feed my dog and check on my corned beef in the crockpot
Old 01-06-2022, 09:37 PM   #7  
Biker Chick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Astray View Post
I always made my own instructions using the Shift+Control+ Print Screen buttons to capture the screen then just paste it in Word and add my own text.
that is GENIUS!! You are an exceptionally clever person Ann, truly. And that you assembled the bike? some people cannot figure that sh*t out...like me.

I did go to my boss the 1st week and said I would come in an hour early and stay an hour late or on the weekend with no pay, to try to get more familiar. She knew then that I was serious about trying but also serious about not 'getting it'. She said they would never expect an employee to not get paid to be at work; she assured me the next week would be quieter and she could give me more one on one time. And she did. I'm just slow at grasping things that are unfamiliar to me. I think I've had a couple good days though.

You are doing so great with your way of eating! and love hearing about the pics you are getting on the game cam!

Old 01-07-2022, 08:21 AM   #8  

Good morning and Hello All,

Holly, I have worn a LOT of hats during my life. I worked the last part of my career at one company for almost 33 years. I started out on the factory floor as an inspector, then I became a mechanic. I started night classes, I got my BS in Accounting and got a job in that department, in 10 years I moved up to AP and payroll supervisor and other tasks. My last 10 years was working in engineering as a buyer. Lots of new things to learn all the time, so I always wrote my own manual as we didn't have any. When I figured out how to do something I documented it. The company picked up on this and I became a trainer. I would always teach the basics, let people get comfortable, add their own notes, then add another layer one at a time.

So the mechanic in me doesn't have an issue with putting things together provided I can reach the parts!

I have done the bike 3 days in a row, having quite a bit of leg pain, DBF suggested I take today off-he used to be an athletic coach so I trust his advice-just don't tell him. I will do some light weights to work on upper body today. Have an inch of snow this am and more to come, pretty crappy out there now. My daughter and grand daughters are coming up later today to sleep over. I need to find a fun movie maybe play a board game or Uno. The youngest is 10 and is a crackerjack at that game, she remembers what cards everyone does and doesn't have. She is quick to tell her older sister "Nana doesn't have any yellow cards!"

I still have house straightening and vacuuming to do. I would rather mow the lawn than vacuum, and it shows.

Last night's dinner was home made vodka sauce over shirataki with Italian sausage.

Weight was up 1 lb yesterday and not much lower today, has to be salt or inflamation because I have been picture perfect on food. I will keep chugging the water and hope for the best. Even though I am on Keto and counting carbs I still track calories and I have been under 1200 every day. Age slows metabolism for sure.

Have a great day and weekend all
Old 01-08-2022, 01:19 AM   #9  
I can do it!!!

Ann: I am SO happy to hear that your daughter's MRI was clear and her bloodwork looked great! 🙂 That must be a HUGE relief for you and for her.

I am not giving up hope on couples counseling. My hubby has always been willing to go (or so he has said) in the past, so I think he might change his mind down the road. I have had many years of therapy in the past for various issues. It has been almost 7 years since I've been, I think, so I probably need a refresher. I dislike the idea of going to individual counseling now if hubby won't go, because he definitely needs it, too... and I kind of resent being the "designated patient" in the relationship. As they say, it takes two to tango, and he definitely has his share of issues that need to be addressed, too. That being said, I don't want to be too stubborn to get help if I need it, either. For now, I am writing in my journal and prayer is my therapy.

I don't work outside of the home, so ~ other than keeping a really busy schedule ~ I have no excuses not to exercise, either. I have done really well so far this year. Good job putting together your new recumbent cycle and using it several days in a row already. I think you are wise to take a day off since you were experiencing some pain. Are you feeling any better (by the time you read this)?

It sounds like you are doing a great job of staying on your food plan. That is awesome!

Did you get your 4-8 inches of snow today (Friday)? Here in Ohio, we had a small amount of snow yesterday, but people were sliding all over the place on the roads. Some woman partially slid through a stop sign where I was going straight on a busy road, but luckily I was able to swerve to avoid her. Later that day, my husband was on his way home from work, and he decided to get off the freeway somewhat close to home, thinking it might be safer. Well, some guy must have been going way too fast and slid right through a red light right in front of my hubby's car. Hubby didn't have time to stop and hit him. Thankfully, he and the other guy are both okay, although my husband does have some back pain from the accident. He drives a big SUV, so minimal damage was done to his car, and hopefully the other guy's insurance will pay for repairs since it was his fault. The guy didn't even say he was sorry and the police said they weren't responding to any accidents that didn't involve an injury (so no police report), so we are concerned that the guy will try to deny that the accident was his fault. Hubby took photos, though, so hopefully they will help if needed.

Anyway, I hope you and your daughter and granddaughters are enjoying a fun and relaxing overnight. That is so nice that you share special nights like that with them! ❤

Old 01-08-2022, 01:43 AM   #10  
I can do it!!!

Holly: I'm so sorry that you still have extreme anxiety each day at work. I am really happy that Ann is here to share her experience and expertise with you. She gave some good advice. How do you like your new 10am-6pm work schedule? I think I would like those hours better than 9-5. I am not a morning person. I am a night owl.

Mind over matter and stopping negative thoughts (as you mentioned in a recent post) are things I am constantly working on in my ongoing struggles with anxiety. It is so much easier said than done! But you got this, Holly! Please try not to compare yourself to the other people who started when you did. Please don't beat yourself up by thinking of all of the things you "should be doing" by now. Go at your own pace and learn what you can each day. Be kind and patient with yourself, just as I know you would if you were training someone like you. You are so willing to learn and you have a great attitude toward work. You will be a great asset to that company.

Thank you for the hope and love and prayers and positive thoughts you sent my way regarding the situation with my hubby. I really appreciate it. We are cancelling our Monday session (again), but I am hopeful that we might go back at some point.
Old 01-08-2022, 06:44 PM   #11  

Good evening,
Kathleen, we only got about 6 inches yesterday, I went out and cleared with snow blower around 2, got about an inch more overnight. Have an icy mess coming tomorrow, ugh.

Wow you did have awful weather, hope hubby is OK. i know a lot of people are getting dash cams to record accidents and crazy stuff like that, I have thought about it. I already have security cameras on my garage , I don't want to get over the top, but i am thinking about it.

Sounds like you know what you need to do as far as counseling, you will be in a good place. You are rocking your program in spite of what goes on around you.

Holly, weekend is here bet you are glad. You probably didn't get much snow yesterday, my boyfriend only got 2 inches at his place.

Fun having Kelly and the kids here, we played UNO, we laugh a lot, good for the soul. The youngest one was whiny and crabby all morning, she can be difficult to deal with. I had a hair appointment at 11, they stayed at the house until around 3 this afternoon. I ran into town to pick up some things to have as tomorrow is going to be awful driving and I am not leaving the house.

I have cheese souffle in the oven for dinner, I can't wait. Didn't get on the scale this am, my schedule was all messed up and I had to shower early and get to hair apt. so I have to weigh in tomorrow.

Ok, I think dinner smells done, have a safe weekend.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:22 PM   #12  
I can do it!!!

Hello Holly and Ann! I hope all is well with both of you. I have done well keeping up with the treadmill most days. I still don't weigh myself often at home, but I noticed that my weight is still up at a doctor's appointment yesterday. There is room for improvement in my food choices, but my biggest issue lately is that I feel hungry all the time. I don't think it is physical hunger most of the time; just the urge to eat something that sounds good. I haven't battled these urges in awhile, and it is frustrating me and scaring me, because I do not want to regain any more weight. Ugh! It feels like a constant battle always staying vigilant about my weight. There for awhile, it didn't seem like I had to put forth such a huge effort to maintain.

Ann, have you been able to ride your stationery bike again or do you still have leg pain? I'm glad you had a fun girls' night. Did you get the bad weather you were expecting? Your cooking and food choices always sound delicious!

Holly, how is work going? I hope your anxiety is subsiding a bit each day. How has your weather been? Are you able to find any "you time" now that you are working full time again? I hope so!

Have a great weekend, ladies!
Old 01-15-2022, 10:27 PM   #13  
Biker Chick!

Hi Kathleen! gosh I'm sorry about your recent hunger feelings. Were you able to 'conquer' those when you were in the losing weight mind frame? Have you been journaling, I always admire someone who invests the time to journal. I wish you all good feelings and positivity to help

Ann I love to hear how much fun you have with the grandchildren! and your daughter. and your imagination with cooking.

Ladies, I am feeling so much better about work. What a relief not to have the tied up stomach constantly! And it took 'being thrown into the pool' - programming my phone to ring on the Home Gardener and Operator lines and having to answer . well I just HAD to start doing it. Wednesday was my first day and nothing terrible happened, lol. If I let it get me tense, it does...if I relax, it is okay. True sometimes people are kind of salty if what they want is Out of stock, but that's life. And finally, finally some things are 'clicking' after 5 weeks! But every one is still kind, helpful and patient. There is still a ton I don't know but at least I have some confidence in knowing how to do some things. thank you for your support!
Old 01-18-2022, 04:23 PM   #14  

good afternoon,
Holly I am so glad things are starting to fall into place at work, hang in there.

I have been sick since the 10th, took a home covid test that day and again the next, both were negative. I went online onthe 10th to get a PCR test and the earliest they could get me in was on Thursday, came back positive. Still having symptoms, cold type with stuffy nose, runny nose, head ache, congestion, coughing and a lot of fatigue. Glad I was vaccinated and boosted as it could have been much worse
Old 01-20-2022, 04:25 PM   #15  
I can do it!!!

Holly: I'm so happy that you are feeling a lot better about and more confident at work. What a relief that must be! I knew you'd catch on sooner or later! It will only get better from here.

Before, when I was focused on losing weight, I worked really hard on paying attention to when I was truly physically hungry and only eating then (most of the time) and stopping when I was satisfied instead of stuffed. It took me awhile to really get in touch with my body's cues, but it worked for me once I did. Then, I was able to maintain my weight for a long time (a year or more) without tons of effort. Somewhere along the line, I think I've become out of touch with or began ignoring my body's cues again. It often happens over the summer at the lake. I indulge in more treats and extras up there. Anyway, I need to get serious about wanting to lose the extra weight again and go back to those two principles that helped me so much the first time I was able to lose a significant amount of weight (about 65 pounds). I have done really well on the treadmill so far this year. Despite a pulled glute muscle and pain in my left knee, I have only missed 3-4 days all month. That is a huge improvement for me, and I intend to keep it up.

I do journal, but not nearly often enough and more about general feelings. I'm glad you mentioned it, though, because I used to journal about weight/health related thoughts and feelings and it is probably time to do that again. I think that would be helpful, too.

Ann: I'm so sorry you were sick with Covid! Are you feeling better now? I sure hope so!

I am headed to the doctor (nurse practitioner) tomorrow morning for what I hope and pray is just a pulled chest muscle. I have felt pain on the left side of my chest since last Tuesday. My husband felt the area where the pain is and thinks it is a pulled muscle. It especially hurts (sharp pain) when I stand up from a bent over position, like when I am zipping up my boots. The other day, I felt a nodule (or something) at the top of my sternum that felt about the size and shape of a small lima bean. I got a massage this past Tuesday and the masseuse also thinks it feels like a pulled muscle, but said that "there is definitely something there" and that I should see my doctor. I worry it could be something heart related (possibly related to booster shot I got the Thursday prior to chest pain?) or, as a breast cancer survivor, that it could be a tumor and my cancer is back. Just hoping for good news tomorrow. 🙏