Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 08-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 191/189/135

Height: 5"2

Question Zoloft - Weight Loss

I have lost about 12 pounds since I've been taking Zoloft.

I started taking Zoloft 3 weeks ago for anxiety. This is my first time on medication. The medication does everything it promises to do with one side effect - I can't eat. Anything. I have to force myself to eat and it's getting harder and harder. I am taking poly-vi-sol vitamins for babies because it's the only vitamin that I can take on an empty stomach. I keep thinking the side effect will pass but I am coming up on my 4 week anniversary with no signs of getting an appetite. I have an appointment to see my doctor tomorrow.

Has anyone else experienced this side effect with Zoloft? If so, how long did it last? I don't want to switch medication because it works so well. I feel "normal" for the first time in years.
Incognita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #2  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

How strange! I've never taken zoloft or experienced that as a side effect of my meds but it sounds not good.

Let us know what your doctor has to say about it.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #3  
Doing it.

S/C/G: 208/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6"

I started the same medication (along with 150mg Wellbutrin 2x a day) on Friday and have already lost 4 pounds. I know it's probably water weight but in any case, I can't eat. I feel sick if I am around most foods. I managed to get some fries in me on Saturday (I figured I'd see if I could eat my one temptation) and although I ate them, I didn't enjoy them. Luckily I work for my doctor and he's keeping a sharp eye on me. For right now I'm going to stay hydrated and try to get some fiber in me and hope that everything just kind of evens out.
Jeannette311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I have taken both Pristiq and Zoloft (they are in the same drug family) and experienced this. It does go away in a few weeks. Good luck!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 152/148/135

Height: 5'5"

I gained on Zoloft (though probably not because of the Zoloft)... But it affects everyone differently.

Hopefully your doctor will be able to help you without prescribing you anything else. Feel better!
Lula Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/212/130

Height: 5'7"

Strange! I gained on Zoloft... My doc switched me to Ceprelex. I think Zoloft has more of a reputation for weight gain.
Great you lost on it though! Maybe you lost because of personal efforts?
PearlElizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #7  
Life is about balance

S/C/G: 283/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I took Zoloft for years and only gained or stayed the same, but I've been off of it for a year and now back on. I too have no appetite. With Hurricane Irene I was down to one meal a day because we had no electricity. It's hard to be low carbing with no electricity. Since then I haven't been able to get even two meals in. Yesterday and the day before were so low in food/calories it sort of scares me. I like the thought of not binging or worrying about over eating but this could get seriously out of hand. So I'm hoping it will soon pass.

Good luck
mamakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #8  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

had the same reaction when i started zoloft... it went away in a few weeks though, and then my appetite (and desire for SWEETS) was stronger than ever

good luck with the zoloft.. ive experience minimal side effects, but im getting ready to switch ( i see my doc today) its just not "working" for me...... i dont think its the right med

im hoping to try a different class, like the NSRI's... (Effexor and Pristiqu i think are NSRIs) anyone go from SSRI's to NSRI's? Experience? I have generalized, mod->severe depression with GAD and Borderline Personality Disorder.... at the moment my BIGGEST issue is anxiety though... im on 3 (THREE) clo****pam a day, and i really really want to wean off, but im TERRIFIED of having panic attacks... ug....

EDIT: y did it star out my med name? lol its a benzo for anxiety

Last edited by mkroyer; 09-07-2011 at 09:52 AM.
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #9  
Life is about balance

S/C/G: 283/ticker/140

Ugh, another side effect to Zoloft is bruxism...my jaw is killing me. I've been clenching it all week! Now it hurts to chew. Does anyone else have that problem and does it get better?
mamakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #10  
(slim) shady

S/C/G: 193/188/155

Height: 5'2"

I took Zoloft in combination with Wellbutrin for a while a few years ago but dangit, it never caused me any weight loss or appetite loss. I DO know that Lexapro made me gain about 40 lbs in 1 summer. I stopped taking it cold turkey and dropped 7lbs immediately in under a week. Definitely see your doctor though if the side effects are this severe .... I DO NOT recommend switching to Lexapro from my experiences with it - the severe weight increase only dramatically intensified my depression.
steinanwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 236/198/130

I took this zoloft, many, many years ago but remember having the same side effect. It only lasted a few weeks and then I went back to normal. The few pounds I lost during the first weeks I quickly gained back once my appetite was back.
Good luck!
redbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:47 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 235/228/199

Height: 5'3

I've been on Zoloft for about 8 years now (yes, they've tried to get me off it on several occasions, but unfortunately my MDD is recurrent and presents with suicidal ideation, so for now I'm stuck on it). I have gained 10-15 lbs every single year since I started taking it. Now I don't know if that's the medication that's doing it - I was well on my way to an eating disorder when I started the Zoloft - but I'm pretty sure it's had an effect. I never experienced any loss of appetite on it. Wish I had!
emmyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:25 PM   #13  
EVERY DAY IS A GIFT !!!!!

S/C/G: 263LBS /263 LBS / 210 LBS

Height: 5.9

I Put On 45lbs On Zoloft , Some People Lose And Some People Gain.
I Think I Will Talk To My Doctor About Changing To A Different Med.
Good Luck.
gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #14  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I gained 60 pounds on Zoloft. If I had any aversions to food, it escaped me quickly.

ETA: was on med for under one year.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 09-20-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:30 AM   #15  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Hmmmm. Just further proof that different meds affect different people in different ways. I never had that particular *side effect* on zoloft. However, just ONE pill of the Effexor & man, the side effects hit me like a freight train! non-hunger being one of them.

good luck with your meds & your weight loss... and if you find that the zoloft doesn't work for you, keep trying! - there's bound to be one out there that does
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote