Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-01-2021, 12:43 AM   #1  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Default March 2021 Ups & Downs Support Group Thread

Hello and to the March 2021 Ups & Downs Support Group thread. We are a small but mighty group that supports each other through the ups & downs of weight loss, depression, & life in general. Anyone is welcome to join in at any time!
IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:43 AM   #2  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Kathleen thank you for starting us for the month of March! and to anyone who wants to join in.

Kathleen, my b-day was w-a-y back in December, we did not do anything special because we were not allowed to gather...but my husband got me really nice gifts ( I am set for earrings for life lol) and our sons called

Yes, the summer job is the one where I am a pastry baker at the private club and it never opened last year. It was very hard to adjust to, even though I enjoyed the heck out of having the summer off. I've been in contact with the manager, and she has been accepting reservations since last year, with telling the members that we don't know anything yet but are hoping for the best!!

If we do open, we will not have our international workers, they were the backbone of our staff! for years we've been hosting 4 to 6 young adults (usually ages 20 - 23) from Slovakia to live and work here. But of course with travel restrictions and just not knowing what the deal is, no arrangements have been made . And our local tourism economy (both summer and winter) depends on out-of-country workers, for 30-some years the State has had workers from Jamaica, South America, and Eastern Europe come here for service industry jobs (housekeeping, waitstaff, etc).

Since weighing yesterday, I am going to try to commit to watching and tracking what I eat. I find calorie counting so very time consuming, yes I know that now there are tons of apps to help..i really have no excuse. You asked how I commit to the daily exercise, I think it must be because I know how it helps me with daily life. I started having knee pain in 2010 and just try to live with it, but I know that strengthening the muscles in the leg will help some.

Curious to ask, what are everyone's State's rules for vaccinations? our State first vaccinated health care and emergency responders; and now going by age groups. Right now (today) started 65 and up. Hopefully the next range will be 60 (me and husband). But maybe it will go to chronically ill of assorted ages. ?

Hello to Lisa, Pat and TREEMBBS and all of our previous friends!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:29 PM   #3  
TREEMBBS

S/C/G: 90.8

Height: 5 feet 7and a half inches

Hi to you both too as March rolls in.

Interested in your knee Holly as I have a "dodgy" one. The best thing I ever did was invest in a pedal type contraption that you sit near and pedal on. (Built for those who are needing passive movement) Whilst enjoying my morning coffee I pedal away and it has helped me a lot. I know like you that maintaining a healthy weight would help a lot - like you I DETEST calorie counting though when I do make an effort to do it I realize how much "extra" I may consume over the course of a week.

Vaccinations are just starting to roll out here. Aged care homes and frontline workers 1stly. Over 70's next (which covers my hubby) but I am along the track in the over 50's (even though I am 69!! And a carer of someone with chronic health problems)

Cheers from Oz x
TREEMBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:48 PM   #4  
Biker Chick!

TREEMBBS - I know EXACTLY what kind of 'contraption' lol you described! my husband has one! his intent was to take it to work to use. It would make sense to LEAVE it there. But I dont know what kind of personal space he is allowed. Maybe that is why it is in the trunk of my car all the time.

Today I had a doctor's appt that I made...I have had a sun damage spot ('age spot") on my forehead for a couple years but last year I noticed it started to be raised. more of a bump. Worried me. She numbed me and scraped/cut it out, and it will be sent away to be biopsied. AND I asked her for 'weight counseling'. I really wanted a pill or something!! She nicely but sternly told me I wasn't overweight enough to justify it. I am 10 pounds away from being a 24 BMI. She asked if I wanted an appt with the nutrition person. I rolled my eyes and said that i KNOW what I'm supposed to do, I just dont do it! But I have an appt next Thursday.

Winter is just grinding along here. today could have been a January day, it was in the low 20's and with the wind it felt like 0. gah!

*edit to add thoughts* When I went to be weighed at the doctor's yesterday, I had on; of course regular clothing, but also - boots and winter coat. So it obviously showed 5 pounds more than what my home scale showed. But that number was what was recorded. Why would the assistant allow a person to be weighed with all that on?!

we might get 6" to 8" of snow tonight and it is COLD

Last edited by VermontMom; 03-05-2021 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:24 PM   #5  
Biker Chick!

We did NOT get any snow the night that 6" to 8" was predicted! Win!

I had the bump cut out of my forehead on Thursday and it is sent to be biopsied. Now I have an ugly BLACK spot. Is the black from the silver nitrate she put on?? It is gross to look at.

Sunny but still cold here, a high of 24. I did force myself to go outside, put the dog on the lead, and I chopped ice for a while. The sky is a beautiful blue and it was really bright out.

I am so glad to not be working yet I am so aimless during the day. The kitchen is still a mess from November. That's when it got too cold and miserable to take lumber outside to cut etc. so it is a shambles. There isn't really anything that I can do, it's all in the handyman's hands (DH ) I will just have to be patient. Yes this would be the time to do clean out projects BUT so much stuff is not mine to decide.

today was 1 week that I made myself weight and face the truth. And I have TRIED this week to cut back . So I weighed this morning and I am one pound HEAVIER. No it is not muscle lol. Ugh!!

DH can get vaccinated this week. I have to wait at least 2 more weeks as I am fortunate that I don't have any underlying health issues.

I have tons to be grateful for yet I am feeling ugh. Someone either cheer me up or kick me in the butt !
Old 03-09-2021, 11:42 AM   #6  
I can do it!!!

Holly: Sending prayers that your biopsy is benign. 🙏 Please let us know once you get your results. The waiting is terrible! I think the black spot will eventually fade to red and then fade to nothing or a small scar. I hate having to have spots cut off, especially on the face.

My birthday is December 4th. When is yours? Jewelry is the best gift, especially earrings! You can never have too many earrings!

So cool that your summer job employs so many international workers. That stinks that they will not be able to come this year if the club opens. It must be difficult ~ both for employers and employees ~ with everything being so uncertain and unpredictable. I hope you will get to go back to the job that you love!

Try not to be too discouraged by the one pound gain despite tracking your eating. They say weight can fluctuate as much as 3-5 pounds from day to day. Maybe you just caught yourself on a bad day. One pound is nothing. The scale will move in the right direction soon if you keep up the good work.

Thank you so much for sharing your great perspective on the benefit of daily exercise. It is really helpful. I have noticed that a lot of aches and pains have crept in as I've aged, and your very practical advice about exercise helping with daily life is crucial for me to heed. Somehow, there is a disconnect with me between a behavior and its delayed benefits. I want immediate gratification, and I get easily frustrated and lose my motivation if I don't see it. I really need to trust the process and make the connection about exercise helping with my daily functioning and making the quality of my life better; because there is no doubt that it would help relieve some of my aches and pains; and I would probably have more energy and feel better overall. I do the treadmill on a somewhat regular basis, but I need to do it all or most days, and I also need to add core strengthening work and some weight training for my upper body. I get overwhelmed just thinking about all of that at once, so I need to somehow break it down so that it is realistic and doable. Any advice? I truly value your input. How is your knee pain today (in 2021), by the way?

I'm not sure who received the vaccine first in Ohio. I know that some health care workers, and I am assuming first responders, got it early on. And my parents, who are 91 and 86, received their first dose in late January. Most teachers became eligible when it hit 65+ or 60+. It has most recently been ages 60 and up, plus some with genetic conditions, including my daughter, who has Spina Bifida. I figured 55+ would be next, which would include my hubby... but, I was pleasantly surprised when they announced yesterday that, starting this Thursday, the 11th, ages 50 and over can get the vaccine. That includes me!!! I am going to message my Oncologist today to see if I can get the vaccine through their medical center.

TREEMBBS: Hello! It is good to hear from you! Hope all is well with you & your family.

Waving HELLO to Lisa & Pat! Hope you are both doing well.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:46 PM   #7  
Biker Chick!

Kathleen - hi! thanks for the good thoughts, I am so terribly vain that I have been thinking more of the visual impact of having the spot removed, than any scary circumstances Oh and my b-day is Dec. 2, we are so close!

That is great that you will hopefully be able to be vaccinated soon!! Getting as many people vaccinated ASAP is so vital to getting back to some sort of normal! Our Governor just announced today that some restrictions will soon be loosened a bit, because already hospitalizations are down, with our older residents vaccinated. My husband's appt is next week; then a 2 week wait til his second shot.

Yes you are right that our weight can do crazy fluctuations and yeah maybe that was an 'up' day. I will make myself be cool and keep to the program, slow and steady..no, wait! Progress, not perfection, right?!

About exercise. I guess I have been *mostly* consistently exercising for 20-ish years. I tend to kinda stop during the warm months, but then I am pretty active during summer with the lawn work (and wrestling my motorcycle around) I don't know how I have dedicated myself to the workouts, maybe I am very 'task oriented' and I feel I have to finish, once I start. And I have always liked Gilad and his 'boot camp' type of exercise. I know for sure that when I was REALLY gung-ho on trying to look better, for events like our motorcycle rallies (like when i was in my 40's, and still felt okay wearing midriff revealing outfits) when I was able to follow low calories for MONTHS and then working out (at home) with hand held weights, I really saw results...like back muscles you could see, and 'cut' abs. That ship has sailed!! however I always appreciated the 'fit' feeling and strength. Except for when I had the "time of the month", I NEVER have low back pain, as my ab and core muscles have held strength. Or maybe it's just from all the years of practice, I can concentrated and work those abs. And with my jobs, either summer or winter, of always being on my feet, I knew I needed the consistent exercise for the strength and endurance. AND with my hurting knees, especially now to try to strengthen the muscles surrounding them. Plus, i want to be one of those ladies that go into their late 60's and beyond, that still heft the dumb bells

I also have to be aware that my husband is mobility challenged and I have to be able to do things that he can't. That's kind of sobering, not a 'fun' reason but surely a real one. And yes, to try to ward off the inevitable ageing. I have read, even though I can't quote, the amount of muscle mass we lose every year if we don't fight against it. And for flexibility. I still have hope to be a grandma some day and I want to be able to get down on the floor to play with Legos and then be able to get up again

If you have the time, check out this lovely lady! https://pahlabfitness.com/ and here is one of her 'functional fitness' workouts https://pahlabfitness.com/fitness-fo...-standing-abs/

I do believe that exercise is that magic pill ! Now if I could only ignore feeling hungry all the time

Onto our weather, we were supposed to get into the high 40's today but it was overcast and barely 40 and just darned cold. So it was good that wanted to stay inside, and I was finally inspired to clean out my closet, I got rid of a bag of clothes I never wear (going to donate) and it is tidied up much better.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:15 PM   #8  
Biker Chick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moesalah View Post
Nice group
glad you think so! Join in!
Old 03-11-2021, 07:01 PM   #9  
Biker Chick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBelieveInMe2 View Post
Holly: Sending prayers that your biopsy is benign. 🙏 Please let us know once you get your results.
Just got the call, benign! Thanks for the prayers Kathleen

So I had a phone consult with a nutritionist today. (it is free!! how can I resist) I was expecting to get advice on portion sizes, facts about micros (I'm not even sure what those are ) BUT this was much more psychological. Like delving into feelings from when I was 10 years old and on my first diet! It was very cathartic and I even teared up at one point despite trying not to. She would like me to try something scary, to cut down on how often I weigh, because that can put me feeling so bad. And to try to develop 'self love' and acceptance. And to think of respect for my body, and what one would choose to show respect for one's body. She was really very kind and we set an appt for next week.

We had a high temperture of 55 today!!! But winter is returning on Saturday, with a high in the 20's. Ugh
Old 03-15-2021, 03:52 PM   #10  
I can do it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VermontMom View Post
Just got the call, benign! Thanks for the prayers Kathleen
So happy to hear this wonderful news, Holly! What a relief that must be! Now I'm saying prayers of thanks. 🙏

I just popped on real quick and saw this. I came to check your post for the link to Pahla's fitness videos. I'm gonna try one right now!!!
Old 03-15-2021, 05:48 PM   #11  
Biker Chick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBelieveInMe2 View Post
So happy to hear this wonderful news, Holly! What a relief that must be! Now I'm saying prayers of thanks. 🙏

I just popped on real quick and saw this. I came to check your post for the link to Pahla's fitness videos. I'm gonna try one right now!!!
Oh I hope you enjoy her as much as i do!

When I talk about the next topic, I always want to be sure I don't offend or hurt anyone's feelings..I just have to vent though. There is a small room off our living room that used to be older son's bedroom. Since he left, DH immediately started using it as a catch-all room, which would be okay except he also turned younger son's bedroom into a catch-all. I cleaned up the one off the living room last summer because I couldn't stand it any longer (that I could see it when down here) And it is so difficult because it's ALL dh's stuff, things for the house like electrical, plumbing, home improvements supplies but also hobbies and seasonal decorations..things are purchased and then NEVER used or sometimes even opened..so last summer all I did was *try* to put things in boxes or totes; tried to put same genre stuff together...and now it is even more of a mess And the empty boxes!!! this makes me think of 'hoarder'. I took out around 10 empty Amazon boxes. It took all my inner peace to not go into the bad dark space in my mind that this usually does to me. So I did what I felt I needed to do and threw out a bunch of stuff. I don't care.

thank goodness I have this space here to vent!!
Old 03-16-2021, 07:11 AM   #12  
Biker Chick!

more therapeutic rambling from me My "want" is an orderly neat house with room to spare. My fear is approaching age which means possibly becoming a widow within the next 10 years; and being left with a small house that is crammed with stuff that I have to deal with. That brings really bad anxiety. As of now, I am physically able to take care of it; and i know with my energy I can do alot in just one day, so I should tell myself that it would not take years to accomplish, maybe just a few months. And keep up with my exercise so that I will continue to be able to deal with it.

Old 03-18-2021, 10:20 AM   #13  

Hi all
read all that was posted. Holly so glad the biopsy came back benign. That must have been scary!
hi to Kathleen and to TREEMBBS.

things are okay here. I continue to gain stress weight. Going to have a bone marrow biopsy first week in April and a cat scan third week in April. Then the oncologist will review and make recommendations re: how to proceed.

sending best to you all as the solstice is soon upon us.
flower123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:53 PM   #14  
Biker Chick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flower123 View Post
Hi all
read all that was posted. Holly so glad the biopsy came back benign. That must have been scary!
hi to Kathleen and to TREEMBBS.

things are okay here. I continue to gain stress weight. Going to have a bone marrow biopsy first week in April and a cat scan third week in April. Then the oncologist will review and make recommendations re: how to proceed.

sending best to you all as the solstice is soon upon us.
Flower/Pat so good to "see" you here! though sobering to think of what you are going through sending even more good thoughts and love to you!!

Old 03-19-2021, 06:33 PM   #15  
I can do it!!!

Holly: Your phone consult with the nutritionist sounds really interesting! I like the things she asked you to focus on, like feelings, self-love & acceptance, and respect for your body. I didn't know nutritionists brought these things into their program. I bet she will be very helpful. Did you have your 2nd appointment with her yet?

I am scheduled to get my 1st vaccine shot next Friday, March 26th. My daughter got her 2nd one yesterday. Unfortunately, she is not feeling well at all today. We are wondering if it is related to the vaccine. Did your husband get his 1st shot?

I'm so sorry that you are dealing with your husband's clutter in your son's old bedrooms. I know that is a huge source of stress for you. Please feel free to vent all you want! You might remember that clutter is one of my biggest challenges. Always has been. I absolutely hate it myself, but can't seem to conquer it. But I am not offended in the least bit when you vent about your husband's clutter here. I promise. It actually gives me some insight into seeing it more from my husband's perspective. It drives him crazy, too!

In your past several posts, it sounds like your weather is all over the place! Has it settled anywhere now? Our weather in Ohio has been up and down, too, but not as extreme as yours. But I am SO excited that tomorrow is the first day of SPRING!!!

Sorry, I have to go for now. Going to take our dogs for a walk with hubby before the sun goes down. Dont want to lose my post, so sending now. Will be back later to respond to Pat!