Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 11-04-2018, 12:53 PM   #1  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Default November Ups and Downs Friends Battling Depression

to all! we are a small but mighty group of friends that come here to support each other. Listen or post away, we welcome everyone.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:59 PM   #2  
Biker Chick!

I completely forgot about starting a new month!

Today I see peeks of the sun not much, but its the first sun since a week ago! Temp is chilly, just climbed to 38.

Enjoying my weekend off so much! still get stomach twinges when I think of the new job. As I was put on 'easy' stuff last week, but my friend Lynn was on the production line, and struggling I have a feeling that will be my turn this week. I know that as newbies, they don't expect perfection! just showing up on time and being open to learning.

Very upset about something else, I know i told of our younger son and his marriage problems, his wife has been moved out for a month now. He finally responded enough to agree for us to get together this afternoon, then he bailed He knows we are concerned but 'just can't talk about it now'. We weren't even going to bring it up at all!!!! but of course it would be 'the elephant in the room'. God this is painful, and I know it's a thousand-fold painful for him.

I didn't do any exercise on the days I went to work last week, my sleeping schedule is so out of whack. I did work out yesterday and today, will try so hard to keep it up. I NEED it for winter snow shoveling and just living strength.

hope to hear from all soon
Old 11-04-2018, 01:00 PM   #3  
Biker Chick!

Is anyone else experiencing log-in problems? Twice now, my password has been rejected. It's a simple process to reset just wondering.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:35 PM   #4  

Hi Holly, I don't have log in problems, but I checked the box on the log in screen to stay logged in so maybe that's why. Gotta get cookies one way or another
I enjoy this thread very much and one of these days would love to join this lovely community. For now, thanks to you for the November thread and the sunshine, energy & kindness you bring to 3FC.
Congrats on that new job. Fwiw I think that stomach feeling will pass eventually. In my experience, some anxiety actually sharpens my mind and I learn & perform better. Once you have a little experience under your belt, your auto-pilot will be there to help. I like my job now, but truthfully, my favorite ever was an assembly line job. Nothing like yours, to be sure. It was in a frozen foods processing plant, Brussel's sprouts. There was comaraderie, good pay, and on the line, my mind could do a lot while my hands were busy.

Sorry to hear about your son going through such a painful experience. I would bet that he feels supported by his parents and is helped greatly by that. I'm not a parent, but I imagine one of the hardest things is to know your child is hurting, and have faith that they will work it out for themselves somehow.

to all of you fabulous folks on this thread!
Sundove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:51 PM   #5  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

I just got finished reading through all of the posts since the beginning of October! Sorry that I've been away so long... again. Lots going on! It is always so wonderful to read so many kind and supportive posts here.

I have continued with my chiropractor and physical therapy combo. I cut back to two days a week (from three) now, so at least I don't feel like I live there anymore. I've maxed out my PT visits with insurance, but hubby wants me to keep going as long as it helps. He is very supportive with things like that, which is a blessing. We are getting along a little better in some ways, but certain aspects of our relationship remain very strained. I can't go into much detail, but I still need your prayers, please. Also, not sure if I mentioned that my usually upbeat and confident 19-year-old daughter has been struggling with depression lately. She has always been the most healthy of all of us mentally. It seems to be getting worse, and I can't get her to go talk to a therapist. Much of her depression stems from her handicap and feeling alone because of it. It breaks my heart. Anyway, she feels as though only a handicapped therapist would truly be able to understand her struggles. She says that an able-bodied therapist would not be able to understand where she is coming from. Obviously, they don't list the fact that a therapist is handicapped or not in a Google search. I checked with my son's therapist, but she doesn't know of any handicapped therapists. Thankfully, my daughter and I have a very close relationship, so she confides in me a lot. I am SO incredibly grateful for our close relationship, but sometimes I feel helpless because I can't "fix" her situation for her. I've been saying for awhile now that I need to get back into my own therapy. Now that my PT is down to two times a week, I really need to make time for that. Until then, thank you all for listening and being my online therapists! Lately, people have been telling me that it "looks like I've lost weight." I haven't been weighing myself at home, but it appears that I have lost about five pounds judging from the scales at doctors' offices. Maybe due to the PT? I have been working my butt off there... that's for sure! Otherwise, I am WAY too sedentary at home. Only recently, I have finally begun to do some light to moderate workouts occasionally. I can never seem to get consistent with exercise, but I admit that I've been way too lazy in the past several months and my hip pain doesn't help matters at all. Just the other night, my hip began to hurt while I was exercising on our seated elliptical, which is the only piece of exercise equipment I can do since my hip pain. I pray that I will be able to continue to use the seated elliptical. If not, I am sunk. I just had an MRI done on my right hip (ordered by my chiropractor and physical therapist) this past Friday. I am supposed to get results tomorrow. About two weeks ago, my oncologist ordered an x-ray of my right hip, which showed moderate osteoarthritis, along with some cysts. (The chiropractor took an x-ray a few months back that showed arthritis and a bone spur.) I think that, in addition to age (I will be 52 next month), arthritis has unfortunately formed around the injury in that area. My new primary doc told me that would probably be the case back when I had my first visit with him in April. At least the x-ray didn't show cancer. The oncologist said they can definitively rule out cancer (God-willing) in that area after they see the results of the MRI. Being a breast cancer survivor, this is always a fear of mine.
IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:07 PM   #6  
I can do it!!!

Smile Holly!

Holly: Congratulations on your new job! Understandably, it is an adjustment, but I know you will catch on quickly! We are all cheering for you! And hooray for no working on the weekends!!! I am happy that you have your co-worker from the deli there with you, and you will LOVE being only 5 miles from work during those winter months!!! I am also very happy to hear that the starting wages are good! I cracked up when Flower/Pat said that you could use those steel toed boots on your former deli boss!!! Such a great idea!

So incredibly happy to hear the wonderful news that your hubby does NOT have prostate cancer!!! And good for you for working out again!

Last, but not least, I am SO very sorry to hear about your son's marital problems. One of the most difficult things as a parent is seeing our children suffer, no matter how old they are... so I am so sorry that you are hurting because of all of this, too. I will keep the entire situation and all of you in my prayers.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:23 PM   #7  
I can do it!!!

Lisa: So sorry that you had to spend your money to come home for Christmas to see Jennifer on the kitten, but you are a good kitty mom and did what you needed to do to take care of your baby. Glad that Jennifer understands. It is so wonderful to hear that you are feeling good both physically and mentally!!! I am glad that you have those little weekly pill boxes now to help you keep track of your meds. Yes, it is SO important to keep on a regular schedule with medication. I help my son keep on a schedule with his meds by putting them in those weekly containers, too. It makes things so much easier and you don't have to wonder if you took your medicine yet each day. I am also very happy to hear that you are going AND looking forward to going to church every week! It sounds like you've found a church community that is a good fit for you. Good for you for getting involved, too! These are really positive changes in your life, Lisa! I hope you recognize that and give yourself lots of credit for coming so far!
Old 11-05-2018, 10:38 PM   #8  
I can do it!!!

Flower/Pat: That is interesting that you had Hondas for years and then switched to a Toyota last December. I had Honda Odyssey vans while raising my kids, and I finally left the van life (now that my kids are 19 and 22) and purchased my Toyota Highlander last November. I hope you were able to cope okay at the Toyota dealership. It is good that you are in tune with yourself enough to know that you are sensitive to spaces, so that you can take steps to deal with situations that raise your anxiety level. I personally hate change of any kind, so I get anxious in all new or unfamiliar situations. I always wonder if my anxiety is apparent to others. I like how you ended one of your recent posts: "Gratitude for each of you." We are so grateful for YOU, too!
Old 11-05-2018, 10:43 PM   #9  
I can do it!!!

Smile Welcome!!!

brodly, topsy81, and Sundove: to our small but supportive group! We are happy that you posted.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:47 PM   #10  
I can do it!!!

Talking Sundove

Sundove: Your cookie comment was hilarious!!!
Old 11-05-2018, 11:20 PM   #11  

Good to see you post Kathleen.

I'm doing good. Just haven't felt like posting. It's not bad just feeling a little quiet.
lisaloveshearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:07 AM   #12  

Holy moly, I came here at 3:40 in the morning thinking there would be one post. But our little group's cup runneth over great o see everyone posting. Including Sundove's wisdom.

I am gong to read more carefully tomorrow when it's not bedtime. And when he laptop is fired up.

Holly i like what Sundove said about assembly line work, you will get to "auto pilot". My thought is the same. Muscle memory. I strongly believe that as a newbie you are doing well. But it will be a bit stressful until that auto pool kicks in. I am guessing the bosses are accustomed to that. This is a completely new thing for you. I think you are going to be a pro at it. I understand about being hard on oneself though. But I will know what I know. That you are doing a good job considering it's your first week,

re your son. I cannot imagine how hard it is for you knowing he is so hurting. Once I heard "having kids is like a part of your heart now lives outside your body". It's so true. A parent just wants to protect their kid from pain and hurt, from sorrow. When they hurt, the parent's instinct is to make it better. Not being able to do that must be so painful.

Sundove, great to see you here!

Kathleen I want to write many things to you. But for tonight I will limit it to two things. First, yes I am praying for you. Second, I am sorry your daughter is dealing with feelings of depression and isolation re her handicap. In my state there is a center of agency for people with disabilities. I wonder if there is one near where she lives that she if you coukd call your see if anyone there knows of a "handicapped" therapist. Usually an easy way to find these agencies is to call 211. In most states they have all kinds of listings if agencies. More tomorrow.

Lisa, great to see your words and face. How are you doing?

Okay I have to floss my teeth before it's time to wake up, lol. Please excuse typos. Too tired to proof read.

Hoping tomorrow is a good one for everyone
flower123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #13  
Biker Chick!

I love everyone here so much ! okay was that too sappy?? but you all say exactly what I want to hear and it brings tears to my eyes . Thank you so much. First, for the support about the job and your belief that I will 'get it' eventually, it just sux when you know you are good at some things but it isn't apparent at the moment We were kept til 1:00 a.m. last night and I was told that is common! oh well!

Second, for the commisseration about our son..thank you!! and this morning I see that our daughter-in-law has changed her Facebook name to NOT show her married last name anymore. All I can do is 'be here' for our son.

But the positives are you fantastic ladies in my life!!

Sundove you NEED to be a permanent person here Well I am not telling you what to do but you get my drift!! you are incredibly sympathetic and wise sounding and I love to read what you write.

Kathleen so good to hear from you !!! But oh my gosh so sorry to hear of your daughter, yes she was always the trooper!!! and to have her struggling too must pierce your heart. Oh it would be great to find a therapist with the same struggles but how do you search for that. LIke you said, possibly someone in the field might know. So hard for you!! and oh the news about the arthritis, and that your one choice of exercise is getting compromised, you have had too many hard things thrown at you!!! and we are keeping you in our prayers with your relationship too honey!!

Pat I hope the time at the dealership yesterday was not too uncomfortable and that your car is set for the winter? you keep such careful track of calories that is commendable.

Lisa my friend so good to 'see' you here come back and talk when you don't want to be quiet!

HI to COOP ! and Monica

Yesterday my husband and I worked on our roof Once I got up there, I realized that I wasn't going to just fall off but I had to be careful because of the shingles are in bad condition and coming loose and that was the slippy part. We had to brush off the loose stuff, get the 5 gallon bucket of incredibly heavy sticky horrible black stuff (tar? like tar) up there and secured, slap that sh*t down ( I thought it would be like frosting a cake but NO ) then lay down the big rolls of tar paper, then nail it down. While trying not to fall off and it was COLD and windy. I was SO happy when we were done with the relatively small patch but it was important to get that part fixed (leaking). We go back up there tomorrow..but it will be a little milder, in the 40's not in the low 30's. You gotta do what you gotta do. Thank god for my relative good health and nimbleness, guess that's why I work out, for life challenges!!
Old 11-08-2018, 01:56 AM   #14  

Flower,
It's not just on here. It's on all my boards, that I've been quiet. I haven't been spending as much time online which really isn't a bad thing.

Holly,
I hope you are getting more comfortable at your job. I just know you'll be a pro in no time.

Kathleen,
I am so sorry your daughter is struggling. I hope she changes her mind about therapy. It really would help.

Last edited by lisaloveshearts; 11-08-2018 at 02:09 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:53 AM   #15  

It's freakin cold here this morning. 29 degrees. Lord have mercy.