Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 08-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: size 12/size 2-4/size 4

Height: 5'5

Default Weight Loss and Increase in Depression

Has anyone noticed an increase in depression while losing weight? I feel as though over the past week, I have had an increase in symptoms of depression. I haven't exercised due to over commitment in the evenings and maybe that's what's exacerbating my symptoms. I've been on plan calorie-wise, reduced sugar and simple carbs. I am feeling much more depressed over the past couple days, even with a lot of social plans, etc. And when I am in this space, I find myself more self-critical, feeling fat and ugly, and also a major reduction in appetite to where the thought of food makes me ill. I feel tearful a lot of the day. I remember that I had this increase in depressive symptoms the last time I was losing weight. I do have a therapist but I wanted to get input from people who have experienced this so I am posting here. I will be back to exercising today. Hopefully that will help.
christine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/196/160

Height: 5'3"

I have suffered from depression in the past and exercising always alleviates my symptoms. It takes as little as two days of no exercise for me to start to feel down. Now that I am aware of the connection as soon as start feeling out of sorts I get on my bike or go for a walk.
Lucky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Sometimes depression symptoms can show or get worse based on nutritional deficiencies. Perhaps your diet is missing something? Have you tried St John's Wort?
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #4  

I've also considered that maybe I am not numbing myself with food so I am actually feeling things and dealing with them? And thereby becoming more aware of how I am feeling. Hmm food for thought. I will be at the exercise tonight. And I will incorporate different fruits and vegetables to get some different vitamins in.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine123 View Post
I've also considered that maybe I am not numbing myself with food so I am actually feeling things and dealing with them? And thereby becoming more aware of how I am feeling. Hmm food for thought. I will be at the exercise tonight. And I will incorporate different fruits and vegetables to get some different vitamins in.
That's really wise of you. I've noticed that I'm generally more aware of myself and life since I stopped numbing myself with food, so that would make sense. Also, maybe trying google researching depression and nutrition to see if there are specific foods/nutrients that could cause the problem?
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly315 View Post
That's really wise of you. I've noticed that I'm generally more aware of myself and life since I stopped numbing myself with food, so that would make sense. Also, maybe trying google researching depression and nutrition to see if there are specific foods/nutrients that could cause the problem?
After pondering this for a night, I will try taking fish oil again. I do remember that being especially effective about 10 yrs ago when an episode of depression hit, unrelated to weight loss. I think you could be right about the nutrition deficiency (since fish oil is a nutritional supplement) and also the lack of using food as a coping mechanism to deal with feelings. I might not have been as aware of the deficiency when I was stuffing with food.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #7  
Chick on a Mission

S/C/G: 265/195/150

Height: 5'3

I have noticed an increase in depression since losing weight. I think in my case it is from 1) over training, 2) from no one commenting or seeming to notice my weight loss, 3) from the changed way that people are treating me (women being more hostile, men being more perverted), 4) from believing I would be happy once I started losing weight, only to find out I am NOT. All these things are wearing me down pretty bad lately and making it hard to continue. Plus, I'm stalling lately so that is just the cherry on top.

I don't know if there is anything specific that is causing your depression, but it does help to talk about - whether with a therapist or understanding friend. I can relate to being tearful all day - that's me these days.

Last edited by keekles; 08-09-2011 at 03:35 PM.
keekles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:20 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by keekles View Post
I have noticed an increase in depression since losing weight. I think in my case it is from 1) over training, 2) from no one commenting or seeming to notice my weight loss, 3) from the changed way that people are treating me (women being more hostile, men being more perverted), 4) from believing I would be happy once I started losing weight, only to find out I am NOT. All these things are wearing me down pretty bad lately and making it hard to continue. Plus, I'm stalling lately so that is just the cherry on top.

I don't know if there is anything specific that is causing your depression, but it does help to talk about - whether with a therapist or understanding friend. I can relate to being tearful all day - that's me these days.
Thank you so very much for this. I am experiencing some of the same feelings tied to the weight loss as you described. I am feeling better that someone else was able to articulate it. This is definitely part of the emotional piece. No one has noticed mine either and I'm down from a 10 to a loose 6. I am trying to tell myself that even though losing weight won't solve certain struggles, I'd rather be thin and struggling, than fat and struggling. Because either way, I am still struggling.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 198/Ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I think it can be a lot of different things. The emtional eater starting to bare themselves so to speak, the lack of exercise, nutrition, etc. that have already been mentioned. I kinda think too that when we lose fat sometimes our horomones can get a little out of whack. Estrogen stored in the fat cells or something? So change the things you think you need to and keep an eye on it and see your doctor if it does not get better. Way to go on your weight loss!
YouWhoLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #10  

Height: 5'4''

I feel more depressed at times. For me, it's because I don't numb bad feelings with food (as much). Now things are better, but around the 15-20 pound drop point I think the excitement of weight loss had plateaued and so I was just left with the bad feelings. It took me some time to work through those feelings.
popspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:18 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouWhoLouWho View Post
I think it can be a lot of different things. The emtional eater starting to bare themselves so to speak, the lack of exercise, nutrition, etc. that have already been mentioned. I kinda think too that when we lose fat sometimes our horomones can get a little out of whack. Estrogen stored in the fat cells or something? So change the things you think you need to and keep an eye on it and see your doctor if it does not get better. Way to go on your weight loss!
Yes, this too. I actually received blood work results and I am low in iron! Also, the doc said while my bad cholesterol (forgot the medical term) and triglycerides were both under 100, which she was very happy about, my good cholesterol is a little low. She suggested more fish. I told her about the Omegas and she thinks that would be helpful for me in many ways. Thank you ladies.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by popspry View Post
I feel more depressed at times. For me, it's because I don't numb bad feelings with food (as much). Now things are better, but around the 15-20 pound drop point I think the excitement of weight loss had plateaued and so I was just left with the bad feelings. It took me some time to work through those feelings.
I also relate to this. So much of my "stuff" is coming up now that I have been pushing down. This is related to both me thinking "well let me lose the weight and things will get better" and also "weight loss gives me something else to focus on other than this emotional garbage." It was the 15lb mark that the excitement plateaued. I am still losing and focused but without the same excitement.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine123 View Post
Thank you so very much for this. I am experiencing some of the same feelings tied to the weight loss as you described. I am feeling better that someone else was able to articulate it. This is definitely part of the emotional piece. No one has noticed mine either and I'm down from a 10 to a loose 6. I am trying to tell myself that even though losing weight won't solve certain struggles, I'd rather be thin and struggling, than fat and struggling. Because either way, I am still struggling.
You may be wrong. It could be the other way around.

People might NOTICE, but for what reason would they feel inclined to comment? If they're overweight as well it might be jealousy and if they are jealous, why would they want to make YOU, of all people, feel better? I'm sure they notice.

Who cares if anyone notices that you're down a few sizes? Who CARES?
You may want to reevaluate why you want to lose weight. If it's only for the looks and comments, maybe something's wrong. Personally, I've lost weight to be healthy and the looks are an added bonus.
Drew C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:33 PM   #14  

Default Here is my theory why I feel depressed

I feel more depressed too.

1) Like others have said, I used to turn to food and I'm not doing that so now I am feeling the emotions more.
2) As I lose weight my body may trigger some of the emotions that would tend to cause me to eat so that it, my body, may recover lost fat. This is one theory.
3) I remember hearing that if you smoke a lot of pot, some of the THC can get stored in your fat, and as a result, some pot heads if they try to lose weight, get a high off their fat stores. I have no idea if this is correct but it made me think, maybe there is some chemistry to someone who was an emotional eater, then losing weight and the previous emotional state that were stored while eating in the past are replayed as the stored fat is metabolized. So for example, 5 years ago I was sad and eating ice cream. That fat had some sad components stored with it. None I sit here in a cafe years later, and as I burn that fat, I feel sad as that fat is unpacked and metabolized. An analogy would be to when you go through boxes in your basement and you re-experience things. In this case, stored in your fat cells.

At least this is what I am telling myself as I am sometimes sad - that this is unprocessed emotion from the past that is hitting me now and it is part of the process of losing weight. Fat that stored away some sadness from the past needs to be processed emotionally, rather than just metabolically.

It also might explain why it's hard to keep up the weight lose process. People hit the emotional state that led them eat and they don't want to, choose not to process that. Just thinking out loud. Not an expert.
rozinator is offline   Reply With Quote