Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 09-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #1  
Vi

S/C/G: 275/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

Default Depression, stress, grieving(how do you a void stressing eating?)

I was on another thread and it got me thinking about it. I don't normally want to think about it, but I always have used food as a way to cope with everything. My son has severe autism and is non verbal. He screams all. the. time. Last night he was up screaming and hitting me and the thing is, he can't help it. It's not his fault. It's not my fault. There is no one and nothing to blame. And my thing has always been to turn to food to get through it. Last year my daughter died from a little known disorder that I hadn't even known existed until she passed away. I turned to food so hardcore that I gained an additional 50lbs. I got through that, I have no idea how, but I still have trouble finding healthy ways to get through stress without turning to food. Has anyone found a good alternative? Right now I'm doing ok, but things always turn. I always do ok for awhile and then turn back to food eventually. I'm afraid that's going to happen again. There is nothing I can do about the stress in my life, I just have to find a healthy way to cope with it. I can't do arts and crafts or anything that might catch my son's attention as he will destroy it, or get hurt with it. I spend a lot of time on the computer which isn't healthy either but it's the only thing I have right now to occupy my mind. Anyone have any ideas?
vsmith85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:45 PM   #2  
maintaining since 9/2013

Wow, I haven't experienced the kinds of stress and grief you are dealing with...
I have found meditation to be helpful, especially the kind called Mindfulness or Vipassana. I found a good audio tape by David Kabat Zinn called something like Wherever You Go There You Are. Turning attention to one's breathing can be a powerful way to reduce stress, and you can do at anytime for even a few seconds. It gets better with practice. Not breathing differently, but just noticing the breathing itself, the way it feels in different areas of your body and things like whether it's fast or slow, dep or shallow, etc,

Emotional & social support are important at a time like this. Have you considered a support group or counseling? If those aren't feasible, I can vouch for Overeaters Anonymous online meetings being a helpful way to stay focused on a new WOE. It's free & anonymous.

And of course here on 3FC

Last edited by mars735; 09-09-2014 at 11:46 PM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:16 AM   #3  
Vi

S/C/G: 275/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
Wow, I haven't experienced the kinds of stress and grief you are dealing with...
I have found meditation to be helpful, especially the kind called Mindfulness or Vipassana. I found a good audio tape by David Kabat Zinn called something like Wherever You Go There You Are. Turning attention to one's breathing can be a powerful way to reduce stress, and you can do at anytime for even a few seconds. It gets better with practice. Not breathing differently, but just noticing the breathing itself, the way it feels in different areas of your body and things like whether it's fast or slow, dep or shallow, etc,

Emotional & social support are important at a time like this. Have you considered a support group or counseling? If those aren't feasible, I can vouch for Overeaters Anonymous online meetings being a helpful way to stay focused on a new WOE. It's free & anonymous.

And of course here on 3FC
Thanks for the advice. I had never even considered meditation. That's an amazing idea! I am part of an autism parent support group, which helps, but I didn't know there were overeaters anon. I'll have to look into it. Thanks.
vsmith85 is offline   Reply With Quote