Question...Depression and eating less... leading to eating disorder?

• Just wondering...does anyone get so depressed that they don't eat much and they lose weight and start to feel good about that but they still feel depressed about their problem and can't eat. However, being that they are now losing weight, they figure they should continue eating less and they get to the point that they really can't eat like they used to. What I'm asking is...could this lead to an eating disorder (such as anorexia)? Thanks for any input.
  • I think there is a difference between starving yourself to lose weight (whether it is related to depression or not) and anorexia nervosa. The people suffering from that illness are usually unaware that they have a problem and is usually caused by feeling that their life is out of control and that their body weight is something they can have control over. Also they have a very distorted body image ie a person with a normal or less than normal body weight will still perceive themself to be fat.

I"m not an expert, this is just my perception of the illness.

Also I wonder what you mean by 'can't eat like they used to'? I don't know if you are overweight or not but supposing that you are maybe eating less food is just what you need. In my own opinion I am overweight because I eat too much, eat food that is junky and snack too much. So for me eating less would be a step in the right direction. Of course you can't go too low or your body will naturally go into starvation mode where all your calories will be converted into fat. If you are still losing weight then maybe you are now eating the amount of food that your body actually needs.

Just my own opinion.
  • When I am depressed I tend to eat more, I almost wish I would lose my apetite when I am depressed.
  • I think it's possible. It may not technically be anorexia, but if someone is starving themself and feels like they can't stop, I would say that it would qualify as disordered eating.