Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-25-2014, 01:37 AM   #1  

Exclamation Fiancé and I very depressed, up 50+

Hey all-
This is a first for me, posting online for support and advice so I will just come out and explain the difficulties. My fiancé and I have tandem gained 50 pounds each, and we are both superbly depressed. He is active military, I am a full time college student with a part time on the side.
The main problem is that we are on completely different shifts, he has been on mids (11pm-7am) for 9 months, and supporting him takes up all of both of our times. He is depressed because of that, which makes me have to take care of him. We both want to lose weight, and have changed our diets accordingly. The problems start with exercise and motivation. We both were extremely active people in the past, but both of us had injuries, his back kept him pretty much house bound for the last year, and my bouts of medication caused me to balloon up in a month, and then knee and wrist injuries have kept me lazy as well.

We both need to lose the weight but we have lost all confidence and don't really know how to go about losing so so so much weight. To be honest, at leAst on my part, I have always coasted comfortably on 5 or so over, and the horrible medications I was on for a chronic illness destroyed my health. I lost hair, sprouted medical acne overnight, and gained 50 lbs in literally a month. It's been 6 months since I have gotten off the medication, and my body chemistry has permanently changed. I don't know how to make my body respond anymore, and I'm extremely uncomfortable with my large body, stretch marks, and suddenly too big breasts. The confidence is gone, and I am afraid to exercise.
Has anyone out there been in a similar situation? My fiancé and I are so stressed in normal life that tackling the weight loss has baffled us.

Any help at all would be welcome, I'm sorry about the rant..

Thank you!
Giovanna (and Anthony)
Gfiori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:06 PM   #2  

Hi
For exercise could swimming be an option since you have the pain issues?
It can also be meditative, you could start off slow.
Getting motivated for diet is something im afraid I can't be much help on.
I am currently trying to remove things that I know I can't stop eating and lead to binges or overeating. i'm also currently trying to remove most wheat from my diet after reading a book called wheat belly. Apparently it causes a lot of craving. There are great alternative breads you can make from almond and coconut flours. And alternatives to things like pasta. It might be an interesting thing for you and fiance to experiment with.

Last edited by davina; 03-30-2014 at 11:07 PM.
davina is offline   Reply With Quote