3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Depression and Weight Issues (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues-76/)
-   -   Anyone with Panic disorders/issues? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues/291925-anyone-panic-disorders-issues.html)

novangel 05-26-2014 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davina (Post 4998395)
I have been going downhill with my mental state the last few weeks.
I lost my job and car(which was my safe mode of travel) and just feel trapped, in my mind, in my home. To add to the anxiety and feeling that i am about to lose it, I can't stop the negative thoughts and soul crushing depression. Its hard when you have nothing to fill your time anymore and have literally nothing to do but think and ruminate and ive also isolated from my friends for so long..the one friend I do still keep in touch with I would drive to meet up with :(

Anyone have any tips or distractions for a routine when you are unemployed to get out of your head,have a purpose? Any input at all is highly appreciated I guess I would also like to just talk..I literally feel like prisoner with this anxiety disorder.
I am watching life go by, I get a lead on therapy and then it falls through, I don't know what to do anymore. Anti anxiety meds are the only thing that give me a moments peace and I make sure not to take them every day so they work if I really need them.

I think you need to be on an SSRI to combat both the anxiety and depression. Regardless you need to be on something daily if it's this bad. Go see a Psych as soon as you can. It can get better trust me.

davina 05-30-2014 02:48 PM

thanks novangel...I will be starting meds soon i think...i may have access to a car again shortly which is what kept me sane even though I think i will have to readjust to driving. fingers crossed it goes well.

i hear you mysticalsunshine (I am also in Ontario btw :)..the added weight probably doesn't help.. although in my situation I was at a decent weight when it started and weight loss is not helping me....but for you if it is a lot to do with weight all the more motivation to lose some.. even a little weight loss has made an improvement on my physical endurance.

if anyone with these issues wants to talk about them or anything pm and we can exchange email address for support,tips,just to talk,etc.

CuteFlower 06-21-2014 01:49 AM

I can relate to this a lot, I have generalized anxiety, social phobias among other things and because of the meds I take, I gained 120 pounds in a few years and I can't seem to lose it no matter what I try. I get panic attacks and other things like that too. Somedays I give up and other days I keep trying, but it's hard.

novangel 06-21-2014 11:44 AM

Davina, how are things??

davina 06-29-2014 08:02 PM

Hi Novangel :hug:

Condition wise pretty much the same but I don't want to be a downer all over this thread..
Positives are that I have been ok to drive again which is a huge relief.
Went to a group peer support meeting.. although it won't help with my particular issues, it's good to just be around other people focusing on improving their mental health.

novangel 06-29-2014 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davina (Post 5032332)
Hi Novangel :hug:

Condition wise pretty much the same but I don't want to be a downer all over this thread..
Positives are that I have been ok to drive again which is a huge relief.
Went to a group peer support meeting.. although it won't help with my particular issues, it's good to just be around other people focusing on improving their mental health.

Driving on your own is HUGE. :carrot: Baby steps and eventually the fear subsides, then you can make the next step. ;) Remember that if you have a bad day that doesn't mean tomorrow is doomed. That was a cycle I got stuck in a lot that held me down. Now if I have a day of anxiety I tell myself that it's merely a bump in the road and tomorrow is a new day. The fear of the fear is a vicious circle. Breaking that thought process was hard but it can be done in time. :)

Being around other people will be good for you too. It's easy for us to get caught up in avoidance but that gets lonely.

flower123 07-14-2014 01:33 PM

I just found this thread. Yes I have painc issues. Makes it too difficult to walk or get exercise outside the home. And the depression makes it even harder to exercise at home.

Need to make committment to exercising at home no matterr how hard it is. Cannot give in to both panic and depression. Must exercise regardless of depression.

I would love to start a bit of a support thread for people who cannot leave home to exercise. And who can support each other in goals to exercise at home. I have a mini trampoline that I theoretically jog on. would love for it to be less theory and more action. Would anyone be interested in an exercise support thread for people with panic and depression? People who have trouble being out exercising. But who would want to support each other in exercising at home?

PatPat 07-18-2014 03:19 PM

I cant leave the house on my own. well to be precise, I can get out of the door and in my car if I know there is someone I know there where I go.
I really need to start tackling this. My best buddy is in the same house as me, so I can go with him for shopping etc, but it still limits me down a lot of course...
I got a spot for therapy but even going there is sometimes too hard...

I hate this!

EDIT adds: I want to start training for a 5k in 1,5 months, and I really have to work towards that goal cause I can not do this at home. At the moment I train with my wii and dance pads, which is great but that 5k I want to run with friends.
I have gotten meds that make it a little easier (as I said I can use my car again and go somwhere where there is friends, the car had been standing so long before that that the battery was completely empty). I work with my therapist toward the "being able to pick up running". We will see how that ends....

flower123 07-18-2014 09:23 PM

PatPat, I can see from reading your words how hard you are working toward your goal. AND you are having success. I have much respect for your goals and how hard you are working toward them.

Sometimes the road to success has many turns. The important thing is that you are working on the road to recovery. Congratulations on that success !!!

PatPat 07-19-2014 03:00 AM

Thank you flower :)

I think the steps I took for my souls wellbeing even also enabled me to turn life around step by step and taking the weight issue in my hands for good aswell.
Right now both tracks - the dieting and exercise as well as the therapy for my soul - seem to help each other great deals. The exercise gives me energy in the morning, the therapy helps me towards the right thinking: that I am worth it and can do things. For example :)

*hugs* for everyone that is in the same boat, there is a way out of it :hug:
(and if I need meds for my soul for the rest of my life, I don`t care. It is a desease like every other desease is too)

Beverley8603 07-19-2014 06:16 AM

Hello
I haven't been on here since 2011. I too am agoraphobic although not as bad as I have been. It is really holding me back. I have not driven since we got a new car last October. My nerves get the better of me. I only go out to get in the car and husband drives me to the supermarket. I used to get lots of exercise but feel almost paralysed. I really empathise with you all. I am looking to get a grip and start small and get better.
Good luck to all on you road to recovery. I am in Berkshire, UK so I think I should update my profile.
Beverley

PatPat 07-19-2014 03:01 PM

Beverley, how would you feel just driving the car yourself with your hubby next to you? I mean, like for me the car is a safe environment, and you could gradually get into driving it yourself... and then maybe driving to a friends house or something ... (my buddy and his mom did the same for me by being on the other seat and going somewhere with me... that slowly made the car into a safe zone like my house, and I could go in it alone to see friends after. my therapist sugessted trying this gradually. first drive with someone you know, then drive alone to a friends house)

3fcuser291505109 07-19-2014 04:30 PM

All i can say is YESSSSS :(

Had one the other day on the way to pick my brother up from the hospital, my H had to turn around and take me home, felt like an utter failure (no one else saw me that way)

I had overcome it for years and it's back now..could be hormonal changes (i'm 52 and also bipolar)

All i can say is you're not alone. Try not to give in to it as best you can, that's where i'm trying to regain now

flower123 07-20-2014 05:12 AM

PatPat, sounds really strong, what you write. Good for you. Strength doesnt mean we always feel strong. It means that we keep working at things. No matter what.

Beverly, the small steps get people there just as quickly as the faster ones. Its all in good timing.

Susie, sorry you had that happen today. While I can understand feeling like a failure, you honestly are not. Some people have it so easy. But people who have challenges as you describe are stronger than the people who just can breeze more easily through life. I am sorry you live with those challenges. But it is not who you are. They are the challenges only strong people can navagate. And you do navagate them, from what I am reading. :hug:

i have grappled with agoraphobia pretty much all my life. Sometimes I am able to do more than other times. i sometimes am able to go out. Expecially if I am going to meet up with a safe person in a safe place. But even thats not easy. The agoraphobia makes food more of a crutch.

panic attacks mostly stopped when I started taking a spefic vitamin that apparantly I needed. I do not think we can talk about specific things we take. So I will not mention what it is. Plus, this was the case only for me. Its not known, as far as I know, to treat panic attacks. The lack of that vitamin in my body just caused constant panic attacks. Now, I get them. But not often. And there usually is a reason i can discern.

If I did not have agoraphobia, I would walk. or perhaps go to the gym. Although I cannot imagine going to the gym. If I did not have agoraphobia and had money I would go to zumba. That would be great fun.

Beverley8603 07-20-2014 05:30 AM

Thanks so much for the tips and advice. I feel safe in the car but the thought of going alone is tough. I am determined to tackle this though as life is passing by so fast. Small steps. Just getting the supermarket on my own again would be so great. Hugs to all.