Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 10-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #1  
Fat Fox

S/C/G: 187/181.5/136

Height: 5'5

Default Trying to lose my antipsychotics weight gain

It's been a long while since I was here and after having a total breakdown and relapse of my bipolar my doc put me on antipsychotics. Firstly Fluanxol which I gained 30lbs on and then I gained another 15lbs when I switched to Quetiapine (Seroquel) which kind of tailed off with me being 187lbs.

I have to stay on the meds, I don't have a choice with that but I am worried at the increased chance of getting diabetes with my meds along with being obese, not to mention feeling like a big fat whale with a holiday to Egypt in the new year (the first time I have been well enough in 3 years).

I just wondered has anyone else managed to lose weight on these meds? I have started Cambridge and I hope that will work as so far calorie counting to 1200 and WW ProPoints haven't shifted anything but a couple of lbs.

Fox
Foxevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:02 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 155.2/ 133.1 /110

Height: 5'2

I've been on "regular" anti depressants and I managed to lose weight.

Is there any other other drugs with the same effects you could try that doesn't have weight gain as a side effect?
IsabellaOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #3  
Angela

S/C/G: 155/138/126

Height: 5'6"

me too but I can not help myself when I'm having PMS week.
after TOM starts, I get better control.
Good Luck!!!
masterptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #4  
Fat Fox

Unfortunately all these drugs except one do not have these side effects and having tried that one it didn't work. I did go through a stage of thinking that being thin was better than being sane but after losing my job and my marriage being in very shaky order I feel like I need the drugs to help me function and keep my life in check.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:30 AM   #5  
Health obsessee

First of all you have my extreme sympathy. I was on those at 14 for a year (I didn't need them so came off them) but gained about 30kgs on them.

Urgh, horrible, horrible things. Do you have a friend who can help keep you on track? Do they make you hungry, or is it something you don't have conscious control over?

Also there are a lot of drug options. Some anti-depressants target the same areas as some anti psychotics. Perhaps ask a psychiatrist for some other options - that's what I do.
Miss Health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #6  
Fat Fox

Thanks, Miss Health

Unfortunately these have been the only meds that have really worked for me and as much as I would like to be slim, sane has to come first. I guess that in the future I might be allowed to change these meds but not any time soon.

I just find that it is so hard to want to keep taking them when I hate what I see in the mirror. As much as they help then don't, if you see what I mean.

After 3 weeks of dieting I have managed to lose 2lbs, which I guess could be worse but it's so depressing reading about people losing loads of weight when I am struggling so much. Doesn't help I am feeling really down at the moment.

Fox
Old 11-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #7  
Just Call Me Lyric!

S/C/G: 193/193/140

Height: 5'7"

I dont have an answer or suggestion because that's the same thing that happened to me, only with Zyprexa. I have slowly gained 50lbs while being on it but have now been switched to Lamictal, which is typically not a weight gainer and its been working for my bipolar and depression. I just want to show my support and let you know you're not alone in your struggles
Lyric Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #8  

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxevil View Post
Unfortunately all these drugs except one do not have these side effects and having tried that one it didn't work. I did go through a stage of thinking that being thin was better than being sane but after losing my job and my marriage being in very shaky order I feel like I need the drugs to help me function and keep my life in check.
i don't have much to add, but this has been my experience as well .
southern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #9  
Fat Fox

Thanks guys, the support helps.

It just so hard when people don't understand that the meds do this to you. It is not gluttony or laziness and you haven't "let yourself go".

The struggle continues and I am under 12st (182) for the first time in 2 years. Now just to lose the next 50
Old 11-19-2012, 08:10 AM   #10  
Off the chain, bizzurd

S/C/G: 248/180/150-135

Height: 5'9"

Hey, I know where you're coming from, especially on the Seroquel. I managed to gain about 60 pounds without trying on that medication.

Having said that, Seroquel didn't exactly work for me. It sure did knock me out and make me comatose for the entire time I was taking it, though. So I talked to my doctor, and switched it up to Abilify, which seems to be the wonder drug.

Maybe it'll be your wonder drug, too?

At any rate, lots of hugs and support to you.
Drea78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 225/225/150

Height: 5'3"

I am so with all of you! I have gained the weight, but can't seem to get a routine going to lose it. I look like crap in my clothes, and my husband has told me that I am unattractive and the fact that I am not tying to lose it is a turn off for him. Just what a depressed person needs, eh? Sometimes I think about going off of my meds, but I really know that is not the answer. We just have to find the strength within ourselves and make ourselves feel good.
magnolia39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #12  
Fat Fox

I'm sorry to hear that Magnolia, if he treats you like that then he doesn't deserve you.

I feel awful today, I've not managed to lose anything for a while despite trying hard. I don't know why I am bothering at all. I just feel and look like **** and I am not looking forward to going on Holiday at all because I am pretty much scared Greenpeace will turn up and try to save me because they think I am a beached whale.

Having one of those days where I do utterly hate myself completely
Old 08-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 215/201/150

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Wink Losing Weight on Antipsychotics

I feel your pain. The bad news is that I gained 40 pounds while taking Seroquel. The good news is that I've lost 13 of those pounds. I found that eliminating as many carbs (especially sugar and flour) as I could while keeping my calories per day low (1,200-1,500 cals) and exercising with weights and cardio worked, among other things. It takes me longer to lose weight when I'm on Seroquel, so you have to be patient. I started a blog to keep me inspired for my weight loss goal and also to share with and inform other people. It's called theskinnyonpsychmeds.com and it has several posts with my tips, successes, and frustrations.
HopeK7117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 175.6/173/135 & Fit

Height: 5ft8

Have you tried a counteracting drug? Topamax really works to counteract the weight gain side effect.

Last edited by wolfgirl69; 08-02-2013 at 06:34 PM.
wolfgirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 230/210/150

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgirl69 View Post
Have you tried a counteracting drug? Topamax really works to counteract the weight gain side effect.
Just be careful with topamax. It works wonders for appetite control and binge eating (wonders I tell you!), but I had to go off because of side effects.

My psychiatrist put me on Metaformin (glucophage) which is a medication for people with diabetes/pre diabetes and high blood sugar. It counteracts some of those effects of Serequel and other atypicals. It does kind of give me headaches though to be honest....

u might try it, if you can get somebody to prescribe it for you. Its not a big deal to give it a shot...
Ruti is offline   Reply With Quote