Exercise Help with Anxiety

• I also have GAD, and I was wondering if anything has worked for yours like those things usually do for Depression? Sometimes I wonder if it is only thinking that can change anxiousness, but also what if going outside for a walk does not distract you from your thoughts or worries? What has worked for you possibly?
  • Exercise definitely helps keep my anxiety manageable. I have a recumbent bike for bad weather days, and walk outside on good weather days. Sometimes I do a yoga dvd, or play Wii fit. I also knit. Counting stitches and the general rhythm of knitting is very calming to me.
  • I suffer from OCD and am trying to exercise every day hoping that it may help with the anxiety, even if just a little! I know that while im on my treadmill, I dont feel anxious because my body is working too hard!
  • I deal with ADD, but have struggled with anxiety over periods of my life.

I think finding the exercise that you enjoy would be most helpful, something that requires concentration on the movement. I do Pilates five days a week. I have an exceptional instructor. It is the one hour of my day when my brain is in my body in the room with me, working at doing the moves correctly.

I like the knitting too. I keep the TV or radio on during the day. And I write.
  • Definitely. It helps calm that buzzy feel I get with anxiety - it seems to calm bad energy and supply more good energy (after you get over the first hump of regaining fitness).
  • I've been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder as well. I used to use food as a way of coping, especially after a full blown anxiety attack. its one of the reasons I ended up weighing in at over 300 pounds. Its not been easy giving up food as a coping tool. Exercise does help some, really any kind of busy work helps. however for me personally i have found sleep to most effective. when i get all stressed and fuzzy buzzy and a meltdown is imminent i just take a short nap and hopefully wake up in a better mindset.
  • I also have GAD and I've found that exercising with loud music helps me drown out some worries and thoughts I have. Also, if I time my workouts, like run/walk intervals, I stay more focused on my work out and not about anything off the treadmill. I'll be starting yoga soon and hopefully that helps. I am always very high-strung and I find it hard to distract myself. Good luck!
  • Thank you for the responses!

If I do yoga or pilates, can that be considered my exercise for 45-60 minutes most days? I generally like moving around fast, but is there any reason for me to feel guilty if most days I use those methods for exercising, instead of, say, a walk?
  • Quote: Thank you for the responses!

If I do yoga or pilates, can that be considered my exercise for 45-60 minutes most days? I generally like moving around fast, but is there any reason for me to feel guilty if most days I use those methods for exercising, instead of, say, a walk?
    Yoga and pilates are definitely exercise. And don't go looking for reasons to feel guilty
  • I had anxiety/panic disorder really bad for many years. I had somewhat under conrol with medication but never felt 100%. Once I started doing cardio on a regular basis (jogging and elliptical) it wiped it out almost completely.
    For me, its music. I fill up my mp3, turn it on and go out. I focus on the music and walk. Keeps the mind from wondering around.
  • The links between anxiety, depression and exercise aren't entirely clear — but working out can definitely help you relax and make you feel better. Exercise may also help keep anxiety and depression from coming back once you're feeling better.