3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Depression and Weight Issues (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues-76/)
-   -   Any one with PMDD/severe PMS plus depression/bipolar ever get triggered? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues/280966-any-one-pmdd-severe-pms-plus-depression-bipolar-ever-get-triggered.html)

wolfgirl69 05-03-2013 05:31 PM

Any one with PMDD/severe PMS plus depression/bipolar ever get triggered?

Okay me and my therapist (Have yet to speak with my psychiatrist won't be seeing her till the 24th) have talked about it and we think I have PMDD and she want me to ask my psychiatrist for birth control but I also have been professionally diagnosed bipolar. So if my psychiatrist does diagnose as having PMDD then here is my.... theoretical? Idk what word to use. It's a question. If I do have PMDD and I am just now finishing my TOM (This is fact not fiction) so I have depressed for about 1 half weeks. Now I still feel depressed and it's almost over. But see the thing is ever since I fixed my medicatiion issues these "episodes" only come when TOM is coming. Other wise I am positive and happy. Now I am all depressed and my TOM is almost done... If it is PMDD is it possible it triggered a bipolar depression episode? Has anyone here with a PMDD or severe PMS plus depression or bipolar or something combo ever found this happen to them?

P.s. I just feel so self-critical and horrible.

kaplods 05-03-2013 07:45 PM

Try not to fret over labels. There's no reason to feel self-critical or horrible, so try to be loving and accepting of yourself. Try to treat yourself the way you would treat annyone else in your situation. IF YOU WOULDN't beat on someone else, don't beat on yourself. It's possible that you have PMDD or severe PMS which has been misdiagnosed as bipolar, or you could have both diagnoses - but the labels really only matter for insurance purposes and your doctors' convenience. What really matters is that you're receiving medications and/or other therapies that are alleviating your symptoms.

I am on antidepressants and birth control for various symptoms. To my knowledge I have had no formal diagnosis of clinical depression, or PMDD and my doctor considers my TOM symptoms borderline, meaning you could say I have mild PMDD or severe PMS. I don't care what it's called so long as I get relief through my meds and lifestyle changes (a high carb diet aggravates many of my health issues, including my emotional health). I used to think I was fat because I was crazy, then I learned that my high glycemic, high carb diet was making me both fat and crazy).

I don't know if a whole food, paleo, or reduced carb diet would help you, but I would recommend that you ask your doctors if it would be ok to experiment (as well as with vitamin D, fish oil, and folic acid supplements - these vitamins have been amazingly helpful to my mental state, especially the vitamin D).

Whether you want to change yourself or someone else, reward and loving encouragement works much better than punishment and harsh judgement (and it's a lot more fun for everyone involved). I finally have put this knowledge into practice for myself - pampering and loving myself to create the me I want to be. The benefit is that I almost never see a reason to quit. Usually I would quit when I got sick and tired of punishing myself, but I never get sick of treating myself the way I'd treat anyone else on the planet.

Ruti 05-10-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfgirl69 (Post 4729313)
Okay me and my therapist (Have yet to speak with my psychiatrist won't be seeing her till the 24th) have talked about it and we think I have PMDD and she want me to ask my psychiatrist for birth control but I also have been professionally diagnosed bipolar. So if my psychiatrist does diagnose as having PMDD then here is my.... theoretical? Idk what word to use. It's a question. If I do have PMDD and I am just now finishing my TOM (This is fact not fiction) so I have depressed for about 1 half weeks. Now I still feel depressed and it's almost over. But see the thing is ever since I fixed my medicatiion issues these "episodes" only come when TOM is coming. Other wise I am positive and happy. Now I am all depressed and my TOM is almost done... If it is PMDD is it possible it triggered a bipolar depression episode? Has anyone here with a PMDD or severe PMS plus depression or bipolar or something combo ever found this happen to them?

P.s. I just feel so self-critical and horrible.

Hi,

I have the same diagnosis. I have bipolar II though, so the depression is more of an issue than the mania. I always say that if it weren't for my period I think I would be pretty normal. No doubt this sucks. :D:hug::D:hug::D

I agree with kaplods message that a lower carb/glycemic diet is extremely helpful for mood disorders. I mean don't get it twisted, there is no solution. I used to think the reason I felt so good on these eating plans was because my life was in control and I was happy because I was thin. Recently, I have begun to realize that my depression lifts as soon as I change my diet, and I think I'm able to lose the weight/ fix my life/ etc because I feel better.

Anyhoo, I would definitely add in some evening primrose oil to the other supplements she listed. Bonus, its great for you skin!

I don't know if birth control will help you. I'm so sensitive to my hormones that every form of hormonal birth control I've tried makes me crazy all month long. I have heard the side effects diminish by the third month, but I have tried 3 times and was never willing to wait it out. I would definitely make sure that you don't go straight for the depo shot or something permanent!

Let me add: I'm sensitive to all drugs, caffeine etc. I am not typical! Give it a shot!

When my body fat is lower I struggle much less with the PMDD, I guess it has to do with body fat and estrogen or something? By your profile I don't know if this could be an issue for you, but working out may also help with this. I mean it pretty much works for everything, non?

SoOverThisFat 06-20-2013 12:14 PM

I have PMDD as well as depression. In my personal experience, my TOM never really triggered my depression. It was always outside events that caused a lot of stress. Moving, new job, fighting, weight gain, car break down, relationship break up, etc. However, my PMDD did cause quite a bit of ruckus when it came time. Depression x 10, no doubt. That's just me, though. You are an entirely different person. Only you know how certain things affect you. Keep a log book on your moods and what is going on at the times they are happening, along with your monthly PMS. That will help to answer your question.