Sad

• Got a big time reminder what a big role seasonal affective disorder (SAD) plays in my motivation to do well for myself.

I live in sunny Florida, but it hasn't been too sunny this week. I finally put 2 and 2 together to realize why I was having such a hard time this week.

I take passion flower and l-theanine daily to help with my depression & anxiety and can usually keep things under control, but this week has been true ****. Work is great, home life is great...I just feel crappy.

I travel east to work and west home from work and normally enjoy absolutely gorgeous sunrises and sunsets...I realized today as I was coming home that this is day 6 of not having that mood lifter.

Weather is supposed to start to clear on Saturday...can't come soon enough for this girl.
  • Hi there, I don't have SAD but I do have Bipolar and I know that mood swings are upsetting. I hope that you can find some positive coping skills to use to get you through this difficult time. I hope you are gentle with yourself too on your work through these issues.

Take care, be well.

• Thanks for your comment seabiscuit. I know I have some definite characteristics of bipolar disorder myself, but am loathe to have the clinical diagnosis applied to me (I am a military healthcare provider).

I know that a lot of my emotional/mental/psychological issues of late are due to being perimenopausal, but most of the issues were just brewing under the surface prior to my hormones going haywire and I was very good at coping and covering.

I'm doing HRT now and that has improved things dramatically, but I know that in a few months I will have to re-evaluate what is hormonal and what is not.

I think I have had bipolar symptoms all my life but I am so afraid of that being a solid diagnosis. I have done and continue to do my best to cope day in and day out. I appreciate your comments and your bravery. I know logically that bipolar is a medical condition (duh...I"m a medical provider). I think medicine has come a long way with management, but I am old enough to remember and internalize the stigma associated with the diagnosis.
  • Hi Dawn, I'm Amy.

When I first learned that I had a mental illness, I was pretty upset. I have had psychological issues starting from childhood though and have been in weekly therapy for sooo long. I finally told my therapist today that I don't know that I want to be doing this therapy stuff for the rest of my life. I think that psychological issues are sooo difficult to handle because not only are they things that others usually cannot identify with, they are still a bit 'hush-hush' in our society, which is a shame.

It is great that you are aware of what you want to work on. I was afraid of a Fibromyalgia diagnosis which I received last year, and when I received it, I was pretty upset. Now that I know what I have, I know how to treat it and it is a bit of a relief. A diagnosis can help identify the problem and then point you in the right direction for treatment and support.

Bipolar sucks, I'll be blunt. In my opinion it is also manageable with the right health care providers, medicines, support and individual hard work. I have come a long ways with it though because of therapy, med changes and work that I do on my own to better myself. A lot of the things that I have gone through in my life have made me stronger and thank you for admiring my bravery, that is very touching.

I am a medical assistant and I feel like I should know more about these illnesses and how to solve them too sometimes but then I realize, I am also just human.

If you'd like to private message for support, send me one! I'd love to hear from you. It would be nice to have a buddy. If not, I understand.

Take gentle care, and I admire your courage too.

Amy