3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Depression and Weight Issues (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues-76/)
-   -   My depression is ruining my diet. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues/280350-my-depression-ruining-my-diet.html)

Emula 04-25-2013 04:11 AM

My depression is ruining my diet.

Hi all,
I have to admit that I've been avoiding this section like the plague since I started here. I hate telling people that I suffer from anxiety and depression (on meds for both). But it's destroying my dieting efforts and I hope someone might be able to give me advice.

What do you do when you're going though a bout of bad depression and you just don't care how badly you sabatage yourself this time? Sometimes I even want myself to fail. And I don't know if there's anything I can do to stop myself.

Vex 04-25-2013 08:50 PM

re:

There's nothing to be embarrassed about concerning depression, anxiety, or being on meds. There's so many people on them it's really unbelievable.

How is it destroying your dieting efforts? Do you still feel depressed despite being on medication and eat when you are? Are there specific things that tend to set you off?

Emula 04-26-2013 02:31 AM

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm less depressed, but yeah still depressed. I find sometimes I get bad enough that I just do not care what I do or how it will effect me, hence I eat everything I want to.

The thing that sets me off is interacting with people, I have a fear of speaking, and if I have enough bad conversations I will just shut down.
I've also notices that I need to go outside every single day or on the day I don't I'll have a really bad time that night.

I know the depression doesn't own me and I am making these choices myself, but I guess I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do when I don't care to stop myself ruining everything. Now that I think about it, it's a pretty silly thing to ask other people for.

magical 04-26-2013 03:01 AM

Can you try some relaxation techniques?

E.g. Yoga, meditation, listening to relaxing music, taking a book to read, going for a nice long walk etc to clear your thoughts.

Emula 04-26-2013 05:36 AM

They're some great suggestions Magical, thank you. I will definitely give them a go!

VermontMom 04-26-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emula (Post 4719815)
I know the depression doesn't own me and I am making these choices myself, but I guess I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do when I don't care to stop myself ruining everything. Now that I think about it, it's a pretty silly thing to ask other people for.

No its not silly at all to ask for help or advice! I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. I have felt pretty desperate at times. I'm very lucky that it is controlled now. It is great that you know that getting outside helps you so much. If you can't get out for a day, is there an indoor exercise that maybe you'd like to do? I have a tiny living room but its enough for me to do a work out that I find on youtube.

Vex 04-26-2013 09:30 AM

re:

It's healthy to be depressed some times. If this is happening to you a lot though maybe your medication needs some tweaking. It would be good to discuss how you feel with whoever prescribed them to you.

siakins 05-08-2013 10:22 AM

I've found that yoga helped me tremendously! Same with just being outside and going for a walk. Exercise and vitamin D from the sun help with depression a ton. I hoped this helped.