Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/165/130

Height: 5'2"

Unhappy I overeat when I am depressed, what helps you get motivated to work out?

I am a stress eater. Anytime I am stressed out or depressed I eat for no reason. Particularly chips, anything with carbs, or anything sweet. LOVE comfort foods(my weakness). I hate that I have formed this habit. I am trying very hard to change that this year. Of course everyone wants to loose some weight as part of their fitness goals for the year. I am trying to find an alternate thing to eating but I have been SO LAZY. Instead of "working out" like I should be doing, I find myself with NO motivation when I get home from work, it is annoying just to cook dinner for my husband. I hate how lazy I have become. I walk the dogs which gives me at least "some type" of physical activity. I have been counting calories which seems to be the only thing helping me get some of this weight off. I guess I am just trying to find out how in the heck to get motivated to work out. I am currently downloading some upbeat songs into my phone(music has helped a lot in the past) and my entire family is on the boat with loosing a few pounds this year so we just bought some "healthier foods" to snack on. I have been doing a lot better with the snacking. I usually binge right around my monthly cycle though(and gain about 5 lbs during that week) then I loose the weight when the cycle goes away(thank goodness)
Another thing I have been thinking of trying is to try and go for a brisk walk RIGHT after work. Because once I am on the couch, its a wrap for the night ugh I just hate that I do not want to do a THING when I get home. No kids so basically I have become a full on couch potato. Any suggestions are helpful. Thank you ladies! I can not WAIT to get the rest of this weight off..
Halijade7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/123/???

Height: 5'7

Stress eater here, too. It's rough! I'm trying to get more into eating regular meals, but it's an ongoing struggle. The best I can do is work on small goals and build up from there (more water, more veggies, getting meals ready ahead of time, etc). I've been slowly improving that way, even if I'm not always losing weight.

I think talking walks is a great idea. Walking is one of the best weight loss exercises imo, because it's easy to do. Maybe try downloading some audio books or podcasts, and only listen to them when you walk? That might be a little extra motivation.

And if you have low energy, I'd really recommend weight lifting. I know, more exercise when it's already a struggle sounds like a bad idea... but weight lifting has made everything so much easier for me to do (including walking). It just makes me feel lighter and less run down.

If you can do 15 squats, deadlifts, and overhead presses 2 times a week, that would be plenty to get started. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that. If you don't have weights, you can use a backpack with books in it, water bottles... anything heavy you can hold onto, really.
vabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/135

Height: 5'7''

I could have written your post- minus that I have a son, but a husband who is always willing to watch him so I have no excuse.
I'm trying now to allow a little give and take. So I say to myself- okay you can lie on the couch and watch parenthood, but you have to do xyz first... like jumping jacks or burpees. Or I do little things during commerical breaks- like high knee jumps.
I'm still just beginning again so that's my compromise for now
angiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs View Post
Stress eater here, too. It's rough! I'm trying to get more into eating regular meals, but it's an ongoing struggle. The best I can do is work on small goals and build up from there (more water, more veggies, getting meals ready ahead of time, etc). I've been slowly improving that way, even if I'm not always losing weight.

I think talking walks is a great idea. Walking is one of the best weight loss exercises imo, because it's easy to do. Maybe try downloading some audio books or podcasts, and only listen to them when you walk? That might be a little extra motivation.

And if you have low energy, I'd really recommend weight lifting. I know, more exercise when it's already a struggle sounds like a bad idea... but weight lifting has made everything so much easier for me to do (including walking). It just makes me feel lighter and less run down.

If you can do 15 squats, deadlifts, and overhead presses 2 times a week, that would be plenty to get started. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that. If you don't have weights, you can use a backpack with books in it, water bottles... anything heavy you can hold onto, really.
Yes, it's true. it's an ongoing struggle.
karen98745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #5  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Brisk walking is great! I second vabs' weight-lifting suggestion - if you don't have health problems that preclude lifting and know how to do it safely, it can really improve mood, energy level, and strength. Are there any fitness or sport classes offered in your area that you're interested in trying? Some people find having the chance to try something they're interested in and being expected to show up (and paying for classes, in some cases) motivational enough to get them in the door.

Cooking after work is annoying. Can you do any (or all of it) on the weekend, so all you have to do after work is warm it?

Last edited by theox; 01-13-2013 at 07:55 PM.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 187.4/176.8/155

Height: 5'7.5"

Working wife and mom of two. I am a stress eater, and an emotional eater.

It's tough to come home from work and cook. We're already tired! Sometimes it feels so good to just sit and enjoy a meal, at least to me. When i know it's going to be a rough week (like when hubby travels for work) I try to rely on the crock pot, and I make intentional leftovers Saturday and Sunday.

I've found that working out is one of those things where the toughest part is getting started. Sometimes I will tell myself that I will just start, and if after 10 minutes I want to stop I give myself permission to. 99.99% of the time, 10 minutes in, I feel good about working out and finish. The other times it's ok - I will cut myself some slack because at least I got a little in.

The brisk walk after work is a great idea. I find that burning energy creates energy, and after sitting at a desk all day I get home and don't want to move. If I can get a little walk in over lunch, or climb some steps in my building, that little bit helps break the momentum (toward a good direction )as well.

Another seemingly odd thing... I find when I work out, my palate for junk food goes down. I will tend to want good, healthy food. Maybe it's tied to the emotional eating thing - such that when I work out, that alleviates the emotions so it frees me to eat better. I mentioned it at WW one day (when I was going 4 years ago... pre baby #2) and others agreed.

I tend to binge from time to time too ... not scary volumes, but my sweet tooth will RAGE. What helps is keeping things handy that are ok in volume. Popcorn with a sprinkle of splenda, sugar-free chocolate pudding (which is great for dipping banannas by the way ), flavored rice cakes (for when I need something crunch) became staples around the house. I think I need to get them back in the house... thanks for reminding me. Night time has been really rough lately, work has been stress-filled.

Good luck to you! Baby steps towards positive change will get you there!
Becky Quilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/165/130

Height: 5'2"

Thank you ladies for your awesome advice. @Vabs yes I agree, I have been wanting to start lifting weights, I figured since I got my first 20 lbs off, now is a good time to start lifting weights, toning up, I dont want to bulk so of course I Know to do more reps less weight. I started walking this week, and also we are getting ready to move so for the past 2 weeks I have been on the go when I get home, cleaning up, throwing away things I dont need, just getting ready for the move, that helps me "keep moving" but I Know thats not enough so im walking 30 min a day 3 days a week, then next week I shall move to 4 days a week.
@Angiemama, I Know what you mean, I would much rather enjoy my television shows than to work out but that will not do anything to help flatten out my tummy..darn it! so like you said, I am trying to do xyz FIRST then I can be my usual couch potato self. once I have "earned" that TV time.
@Karen yes it is def an ongoing struggle. around my cycle i want to devour sweets, so when I am really craving something, I try and stick to a fun size bar. Im trying to up my water intake too, I have a bad habit of not drinking enough water
Thank you @theox, I really need to improve my mood(very moody thanks to birth control pills), and I think weight lifting shall be the answer. My local gym has a powerflex class which involves weights, I think I may try this. I also have some dumbells at the house. I was thinking of starting to work with those first(they are small 5 lb) this way I can start doing lunges/squats, and start slow
& with meals/dinner: I try and choose things that are pretty easy to make. Broccoli, brown rice(boil in a bag) and grilled chicken(on the George Forman) or I never make anything that takes longer than 30min for prep/cook time unless its the weekend. The problem is after dinner I get hungry so I have bought healthier snacks when I get the late night munchies. Stuff like, a light string cheese, or a few almonds, or an apple if I want something sweet. I am trying very hard to stay away from the chips and ice cream I barely buy that stuff anymore
@BeckyQuilts, this is so true, I agree with you, in the past when I was a bit more motivated, this is exactly what I thought, well if I do 10 min I can do 10more, getting "out there" to do it whether its outside or at the gym is half the battle, & yes that is so true that when I work out I want less junk. I crave more veg and fruits when I work out. unfort around cycle time, I want salty and sweet snacks, just trying to use alternatives now-for example if I want something salty-eat a small amount of salty nuts, if I want something sweet, eat some pineapple or grapes. its easier said than done, but I am trying thank you for your reply mommy of 2
~Thank you ladies for all of your replies
I appreciate it. it is nice to know I am not the only one that is struggling. I just want to feel sexy again. I want to feel comfortable in my own skin. Working very hard to do so

Last edited by Halijade7; 01-16-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Halijade7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #8  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

The key for me is getting enough sleep. I get enough sleep and I have more energy. I think that is a root to a lot of the obesity in the US and one thing people tend to overlook .
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #9  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I'm the girl that used to order $60 worth of food and eat it all in one sitting to make up for a bad day.

You'll find that healthier choices build a momentum, and eventually it's harder and harder to slip back into old habits.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 189/146/135

Height: 5'6

I used to stress eat as well but then started leaning towards healthy snacks like rice cakes, vegetables and fruits. The thing I notice is that I get stress and anxiety binges from just not keeping myself busy. Always keep yourself busy, even if it has to be busy with exercise by talking walks, doing aerobic workouts, etc. Your only addicted to stress eating cause your "used" to it. Once you become more used to exercising then the urge to get motivation becomes easier over time. It's all about changing habits and getting yourself to like new ones.
kadian43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #11  

S/C/G: S290/C ticker/G 190

Height: 5'11"

more reps lower weight is a bit of a myth, to do weights well you should be exhausting the muscles at some point during each session. But anything is probably better than nothing. I keep dumbells down my the couch so I can lift while I watch tv. Funny how just doing a few curls sitting often motivates me to do a full on workout.
scoutycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 187.4/176.8/155

Height: 5'7.5"

ScoutyCat - that's a good idea, to keep weights by the tv.

Halijade7 - I see you mentioned you're on the pill. I have to share something, it is just my personal experience but I feel I should share, this thread being in the depression forum. I took the pill in my early 20's with no problem, was off of it until I met my future husband then after my first baby tried to go back on with negative effect to my moods. They would vastly swing, manic, depressive, inbetween. It was a crazy roller coaster. DH hates condoms... and the whole deal was bad enough for him to run towards those to get me off the pill. All that to say... the pill can effect your moods, and possibly in a negative way. I hope that's not the case for you (it can have convenient benefits!) but wanted to make you aware.
Becky Quilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #13  

I'm a...

stress eater
reward eater
boredom eater
social eater
celebratory eater

*sigh*
Crunchy Pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #14  
banned

S/C/G: 200/150/100

Height: 155cm

We can overcome stress my making some adjustments to our daily routines and give ways to those that will make us positive and healthy.
r4ch3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #15  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I find that getting started exercising - vigorously - is really hard. But the more I do it, the better I feel health wise and depression wise. And then it becomes a habit.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote