Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 11-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #1  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Default November Depressed Chicks Talk ;)

Hey chicks How is everyone?? I've had almost 2 weeks off and I have done just about squat, wasted alot of time..but maybe we need that sometimes. I did do a huge (for me) project today http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...ml#post4517287 and I am still enjoying my huge bookshelf clearing accomplishment from last fall.

I'm aware that I constantly put myself down in my mind. And I know that is not right, so I am trying to work on that. I've subscribed to a site that sends very good positive messages by email and I try to take them to heart.

I'm back to working out almost daily, now need to curb my eating.

please check in!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #2  
Biker Chick!

lots of views but no responses! This IS the "Chat" I just always felt that "chat" sounded so light-hearted and face it, we're not always light-hearted, lol!!

SNOW coming down and on the ground this morning, bleh.. It won't last but it is a rude wake up for what's to come.

I have exciting news, that DH agreed to major living room changes. It involves me getting rid of stuff that's been accumulating for YEARS and i did not have that option before. My surroundings (cluttered) definitely affect my mood and this is major. This is horribly long but it feels good to write about!!

Our younger son and his GF are coming to visit from MO for Christmas and I want to surprise him with a nice living room for us all. Now we have an old lumpy ugly couch, one stuffed chair, and we have to actually bring our folding chsirs for visitors. Not nice for Christmas or anytime!!

I want a new couch ( I compromised on a leather-type one, DH wants that, I don't, but I will compromise) a loveseat (fabric) and one or 2 stuffed chairs. It means MAJOR overhaul. We have an entertainment center that DH made 20 years ago , it is very nice, but big, but now that we have flat screen TV on the wall, the entertainment center is only holding books and tons of old VHS tapes and junk and dust.

So that needs to be emptied out, then the center dismantled. There are 2 cabinet shelves on another wall that are here that are not really needed, either. My nice child's roll top desk, I will move upstairs. And there is a corner endtable thing that used to hold an aquarium but now is just holding junk and dust.

SO there are so many steps to do first! Like make space upstairs for the rolltop desk. I got a start on that this weekend. I have to ask DH to please look at some books to see if he can part with them. (remember last fall I overhauled our bookshelves and donated HUNDREDS of books..I didn't touch 'his' books then) I have to take all stuff off the entertainment center -books, games, and find space for them.

I have to go through the VHS tapes and see if there are any precious footage of our younger son on the unlabeled ones. Take the other movies/tapes to the Re-use center (no charge) Vacuum/clean up in the corner where stuff has accumulated. WOW. Oh and I want to paint. Who knew so much was involved in buying a couch and chairs

If anyone has any advice I'll take it!! I have ZERO decorating ability. It is so hard for me to visualize a room any different than how it is right now. I wish I was adept at taking pics and uploading them. I have a nice digi camera but am not familiar with uploading pics and posting them.

At least I have the Re-Use center as a resource for getting rid of things. They will take the VHS tapes (movies) for free, the electronics for only $2 per unit, books for 50 cents per huge box, and anything that is household related for free. Like a car FULL of stuff would be about $8. Even old clothes!! And it's open at convenient times AND on my way to work. No excuses huh!

Well this is exciting as I said because DH is resistant to change (heck I guess I am too, I get 'comfortable' and complacent) and resistant to getting rid of things. He was never open to it in the past so it has just gotten worse and the accumulation of 'stuff' just added to my depression. Coming home to a cluttered mess sucks but I also felt that I wasn't allowed to even start. I don't know what has changed in his mindset but I am GLAD.

In fact, the clutter and no cooperation for change has been a MAJOR issue in my depressive moods.Even when I had the initiative, i had no cooperation or even agreement in getting rid of junk. that contributed to a very depressive, bad mindset. I am so hopeful now.

Last edited by VermontMom; 11-05-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #3  
Biker Chick!

Well hey everyone

I am still going strong on my de-clutter mode, who knows how long it will last. Not long enough usually, because I will burn out. But yesterday I took loads of stuff to the Re-Use center, and I have more stacked by the car today (8 track tapes and BETA tapes, can you believe it, lol)

This activity is great for me..I am so affected by my surroundings and if they are cluttered and ugly, well that is my mood too. And i've lived with this crap for years (like over 20 years) so it is time for me to have things differently. My husband really doesn't care I don't think, as long as he doesn't have to do the crap work that I am doing.

Well please hope for me that my initiative holds until the whole project is done. I want it done before Christmas so that is pushing it a bit but maybe the tight time frame is what I need.

hugs to everyone! I know you're out there. come back when you can.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #4  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Hey there Vermont and everyone else!

Vermont, I totally understand what you're saying about decluttering and mood. One of my friends used to say all the time that your living space is a reflection of your mind. I agree. I don't have much decorating ability either, it seems like something that "should" be easy, but it's not for me either.

Hang in there with the snow! I hope you don't get too much.

This month is going to be absolutely INSANE. I went to New Orleans last weekend and misbehaved all weekend. It was so worth it though! I had never been to NO so I didn't know what to expect. It was definitely a nice escape from reality.

This weekend (later tonight) I have some friends from home coming to visit me in Dallas, so I'll be entertaining them this weekend while trying to work out and keep a (somewhat) reasonable diet. Next week is my 5k so I have to keep training when I can. The week after that is Thanksgiving (oh boy) and the week after that, I am throwing a divorce party for a friend. So much for the month of November. I am looking forward to all these things but they're a bit overwhelming as well. Plus it doesn't take much for me to act up with the diet/exercise/booze, and the more I socialize, the more I am tempted to blow it. Ugh.

I'm going to try and check in more regularly - I think it will help with my accountability.

Last edited by grneyedmustang; 11-08-2012 at 08:53 PM.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #5  
Biker Chick!

Hey GEM!! good to see you! I'm glad you had a great time in NO, I've never been either.

wow you are busy! My only advice I can give, that works for me, is be careful with the booze, it totally lowers my resistance to snack foods, or even 'real' food.

Hey I've been posting in the exercise thread too!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #6  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Hey ladies!Thought I would join in!
I have been doing some voluntary work in my son's junior school this morning. I am mostly with kids aged 10 and 11 and it is absolutely the best thing for me. It gets me out doing something useful and gets me away from the fridge!
Decluttering is so satisfying isn't it? I take each room in the house in turn.....next it is the kitchen cupboards.....but that will mean cleaning the cooker too as it is all part of getting ready for Christmas!
Have a lovely day ladies.
Donna
mountain walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 333.5/306.5/200

Height: 5 ft. 11 in.

Hi there everyone. I spotted this forum and decided to join in on the chat. I have been dealing with depression for some time now and last winter decided it was time to finally get help. I started seeing a counsillor because somehow talking to my hubby was just not working for me. It has been some time since I have had a very low mood and I am assuming it is all the work that I have been trying to do for myself in line of watching what I eat and trying to get more exercise.
meandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #8  
Fat Fox

S/C/G: 187/181.5/136

Height: 5'5

Hey

Hope you don't mind if I chat along?

I went and saw my shrink today, more bad news in that he wants me to go back on anti-depressants and to consider Lithium along with my anti-psychotics for my Bipolar. Worse still he wants me to stop working for a prolonged period, and possibly for the long term as it is the one thing that makes things go downhill really quickly. Not having that income is going to be hard.

On the upside my hubby bought tickets for me and my best friend to go and see Wicked! for my birthday, he said he didn't want to come and actually he would rather be beaten with a wet fish So my bestie and I are going tomorrow night. It'll be the first time I have been out of the house except for necessities for 3 or 4 weeks. I really need things to turn around soon.

Hope all you girls are doing ok

Fox
Foxevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #9  
Starting Again

S/C/G: 202/163/120

Height: 5'1"

Hi everybody. Sorry to be so MIA. I've just been so busy working 55-60 hrs a week. If you add in the commute it's a lot more.

Vermont, sorry I haven't responded. I would love to know how much you got done in the living room. Is it where you want it to be for the holidays? Or at least close? Company, even if it's family is a great motivator. Glad your husband finally agreed to let some stuff go even if he isn't helping you. Are you back at your winter job that you hate?

There's nothing to tell here. All I do is work. If it's only one job I come home and cook dinner (or 2 dinners if I'm going to be gone the next night). If it's both jobs, I come home, shower and go to bed. Exciting huh? The only good thing is that it leaves me no time to think or dwell on bad things. Free time can be my enemy even though I long for it.

Welcome to the newbies. I hope you stay around even though we can have a terribly slow thread.
hope4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #10  
Biker Chick!

Hey newbies!

mountainwalker, I'm sure the volunteering is very responsible for making you feel better, that is great

meandu, I know that husbands want to help but as they are not trained in clinical therapy, they can't help not being helpful I'm glad the counseling is helping, as with you watching what you eat and exercising

Fox of course you can join in! how was Wicked??

HOPEY!!! so glad to hear from you. But sorry that all you do is work...I relate for sure about the alone time being bad because it leads to dwelling on negative thoughts. 55-60 hours a week is a lot of hours!!!

Yes my living room project is progressing!! and DH is helping now! I don't 'need' it to be guest ready til right before Christmas but sooner would be nice..we are at the point of spackling/painting the living room walls. We still have the old furniture and haven't ordered/bought new stuff yet but that is OK.

I've also done de-cluttering/removing stuff from other rooms and it is so great. Like in the kitchen; we had so much extra glassware and mugs and cups that we never use, it was a trial every single day putting away clean things that we do use. So I just made the plunge and took alot of stuff away and gave it to the Re-Use center (no cost to me) Now it is a no-brainer to put things away. There were some nice stemmed glasses but we never used them..never have anyone over either...that is my story and I'm sticking to it

You know, it's terrible when we have a depressive 'relapse' - that's when we feel really bad..I must be having the reverse. Because I've been on a long streak of feeling on top of things (except for sticking to a low calorie diet) and it is so great to not think about depression.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #11  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VermontMom View Post
HOPEY!!! so glad to hear from you. But sorry that all you do is work...I relate for sure about the alone time being bad because it leads to dwelling on negative thoughts. 55-60 hours a week is a lot of hours!!!

You know, it's terrible when we have a depressive 'relapse' - that's when we feel really bad..I must be having the reverse. Because I've been on a long streak of feeling on top of things (except for sticking to a low calorie diet) and it is so great to not think about depression.
Hi everyone!!!

This is so funny because I can totally relate. I avoid taking days off of work because it tends to turn into focusing on the areas of my life that I'm not happy with, which usually ends with me crying and miserable by 6pm - so I can totally understand why working so much might be a "good" thing.

I've had a few "depressive" episodes lately - but I truly think they're PMS related, because they are usually over in a day or two. My period has regulated a bit so I'm able to predict more accurately when its PMS as opposed to regular depression. Thank God for the small victories.

My exercise has been great lately, but diet - not so much. And I'm sure it's going to get worse as the week progresses.

I'm going to try and check in here before the holiday, but if not, everyone have a happy Turkey Day!

Last edited by grneyedmustang; 11-19-2012 at 10:08 PM.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:55 PM   #12  
on a journey

Hello friends. I was offline for a while but I am back now.

My jobs keep me very busy. My anxiety is still ever present but I take my meds every day. I am so lucky and blessed to have found a good combination that allows me to function and have a good quality of life. I still struggle, things are NOT perfect but my meds allow me to keep things together enough so that I can do the rest myself with therapy and a strong base of support.

I hope everyone is doing well. I will pray for that. I have been going to church for 2 reasons. No. 1 because I am so grateful for what I have and 2 for support from God because I cannot do this being strong stuff alone.

I hope you all are well. i will check back in tomorrow.
Lisa_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #13  

S/C/G: S290/C ticker/G 190

Height: 5'11"

*waves* Hi there! I'm kind of new around here, but thought I'd drop in and chat. I've been on meds for depression for about 11 years now, currently on Pristiq. I seem to be mostly under control except for PMS. I can relate to grneyedmustang, I haven't been very regular either, so it has been hard to tell what's PMS and what's not. Except that it's pretty much always PMS, if it's anything. lol. I've been seriously trying to lose weight for just over a month now, and am down about 15 lbs (yay!). I find that the improved diet and excercise has been great for my mood and energy levels. Anyways, hope to get to know you all over the next while
scoutycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #14  

hey there guys...i have suffered depression occasionally too..most times with the dreaded monthlys...i have pcos so my periods are very heavy and sometimes painful...yucky!!..it is good though it does not last long..i am new to all of this just started my meal planning and exercise and have health issues that hinder my physical progress in exercising...but i am trying...things will be better when i can combine walking with hydro therapy...so nice to meet you all!!..i decluttered some time ago and it is great however hubby is again cluttering the house up...seems to creep in from nowhere and before i know it the sitting room and spare room is full
again!! although my computer room is a mess too...sigh!!...rofl..lol..lol..cheers liz
lizarddau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

I am in the whole depression battle too. Holly.... girl, I am with ya both here and on the hawt biker girls.

I cannot seem to get my eating under control. I HATE to cook at home b/c it is just DH.

But, I attribute some of my depression due to the clutter. DH is a form of a pack rat..... and I am a "Type A" person. If I had my way--- my home would look close to a hotel room..... just few things out and "sleek" looking. And instead it looks like a very cluttered home. To top it off, instead of working on, I focus on how cluttered it is.... and I take a 3-4 hour nap..... I guess b/c in my sleep, I don't think about eating and cleaning...

Any ideas are welcome.

Holly, I love ya girl! You are in inspiration to me.
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote