Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #1  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Default Worst Week of my life (non-food related)

I am usually a very happy person. But this week has just SUCKED so bad that I want to curl into a little ball on the floor and never move again. On tuesday, I was diagnosed with fatty-liver disease. Okay, that sucked but I could move past it. Nothing I can do but eat healthy so why fret and it explains why I've been feeling so sick the past few months.

I'm a broke college student who has no financial support from family (they live pay cheque to pay cheque)... so I have to work and take out loans to pay for my education. We just had reading break, and all 5 of the friends I've made in college went either to Mexico/Dominican Republic/California for it well I had to stay home and work (they all went separately)...and now my facebook is flooded with all these pictures of them having fun, and it just making me more depressed knowing that I'll be able to go on a vacation like that when I am like 30 something and will never get to have that "fun spring break college vacation". I also don't live on campus as I cant afford it so I feel like I am missing out there sometimes.

Well, today comes and I find out I got a 57% on one of my midterms. I am an A student. That mark is going to drop my GPA (first year university) sooooo bad. I studied for that test, but since I've been sick, I have missed some classes and apparently this teacher only likes to put what she talked about in class on the test as opposed to the homework questions she gives. The only reason I felt better was because I know my lab partner was struggling, and I've always had better grades then her... Low and behold she gets a 90 on it.

I got a new job as the administrative manager for a guy who runs his own business (I am his only employee)... He's a sales rep, and tomorrow there is a huge webinar for how to run this new system that one of his clients uses, its 3 hours long and very complication. My boss expects me to be able to teach him how to use it after this 3 hour thing, even tho I just started last week and barley know any of the products, so this webinar is going to be extremely confusing for me....

I just want to scream and hit my head on the wall. Everything is just piling up at the same freaking time. AHHHH!
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #2  
IF for Life

S/C/G: 198/183/147

Height: 5'8"

Well Candeka, I think you have every right to feel overwhelmed right now. I know what it is like to struggle financially for long periods of time, and the only thing I can say to you is that you'll get through it. I know that's little consolation right now, but it is the truth. Your friends will be back in town soon, and after a week or so of their story telling, life will get back to usual.

Please cut yourself some slack. You're an A student, one grade will not make or break you.

Your boss clearly has confidence in you, and who knows in a 3 hour class you may learn way more than you think. You'll figure out the rest.

I'm so sorry you are struggling right now. Is there anyone around who you can spend time with and just vent? Sometimes a sympathetic ear is all you need. If not, we're all here. Hang in there kiddo.

I think you should be proud of yourself for all that you are doing.
Italiannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #3  
Pinup extraordinaire!

S/C/G: 273/232.4/165

Height: 5'8"

Let me preface this by saying, you have every right to be irritated/upset.

Take a breather. Most college students don't get to go on expensive trips. Trust me, I've been there. A lot of my friends got to go on fancy trips/study abroad while I had to work full time on campus, go to school and work part-time off campus. It builds character, which is probably not what you want to hear right now. I have friends with money and that's great for them, but they usually end up having no clue as to what to do in the real world when they get out there because mommy and daddy have spoiled them and handed them everything on a silver spoon. (This may not be true of your friends, I don't want to generalize about all people with money)

I was an A student in high school and most of college, but I failed an entire class because I was in the hospital 4 times that semester. Don't worry about it, it's not the end of the world (although I know it feels like it). If it was only a midterm that gives you plenty of time to bring that grade up and if you're only in your first year, plenty of time to get your GPA up. I really wouldn't stress about it. (I know it's easier said than done)

As for the work situation, take notes and maybe if you don't understand it, let your boss know that you'd like more training on it before you try to teach him.

I hope things start looking up! I know how shitty those weeks can be!
tessendicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #4  

I agree with tessendicott. (I realize we are supposed to love and cherish our friends but let's suspend that idea for a minute.) A lot of kids get to have "their best years" in college, because they are being treated like adults but at the same time don't have real adult responsibilities. I live in an expensive apartment complex that I am forced to share with a ton of students whose parents thought they deserved to live in their own apartments while they went to COMMUNITY COLLEGE. These kids live pretty high on the hog. However, once they graduate that won't be the case. Most of them won't be able to get good jobs in this economy, and will be stuck living with parents and working crap jobs. Unless you have a *really* good relationship with your parents, there is no glory in having to tell people you still live at home because you can't afford to move out. Even if their parents still spoil them at home, it's very hard on their self esteem. My husband's family was like that.

The other thing that happens is that moving out on their own for the first time will be MUCH harder for them than it is for you. You say you can't take vacations? Neither will they, once they get out into the real world on the salaries most college grads start out with. Even people who start out making $50k, which these days is growing rarer, cannot *really* afford vacations when you factor in living expenses and emergency funds. You won't be giving anything up--i.e. "losing" something you had before. Your friends will. It is MUCH harder to go from a higher standard of living to a lower one than it is to move laterally. (This happened to me when I suffered a layoff.) You seem pretty responsible if you can accept that you can't spend money you don't have (re: credit cards) on vacations. That is a lesson many American twenty-somethings have yet to learn.

...Not that this helps you feel better NOW. I know how hard it is to want to have fun but have life take a good long piss on you. Even now I am working very hard to have a nice apartment and nice clothes and finally start traveling. Most of my friends were traveling all through college. One of my friends is still traveling at age 27--while living on her parents' dime. Last year I had two straight weeks of having to get in to work at 4am, and those were 12-hour days. One of those mornings I woke up to see a chirpy email from her about how her family put her up in an apartment abroad over the summer, and how she's spending all of the fall abroad as well. I almost threw my phone against the wall. If it makes you feel any better, you could be a dick like I do sometimes, and remind these friends that your parents are done raising you and don't want to pay for you to go on vacation.
QueenofThorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #5  
Katrina

Thank you guys. It really did make me feel better. I suck at talking about things that bug me to people in real life, so this was the perfect place to vent!
Old 03-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #6  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Did you get the exam back so that you can see your grade and you did in fact score that, or is it just a grade posted online? I'm only asking because there can be mistakes in grades.

Don't worry about it too much. Unless you're planning on going to some kind of graduate school, the only thing that matters is passing. Even if you are, the difference between a 3.5 and a 4.0 isn't going to matter so much unless it's a highly competitive school. It's just more a shot to your ego, I'm sure.

Money sucks for college students, the end. Just whatever you do, don't ever be tempted to start charging stuff instead. That could even be what your friends are doing, and trust me, you're better off without that.

As for your boss, he won't know if you have pretty much no idea what you're doing on the system as long as you're confident enough.

Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #7  
Katrina

The grade was posted online, but I knew while writing the test that I would get a horrible grade. I am going to talk to the teacher however and explain the reasons for my absences (just found out about the fatty-liver disease this week but it explains why I have not been feeling good for the past few months)... and then ask if she will give me an extra project or something to help boost the grade up.

I actually just got my first credit card two months ago. I think I used it once to buy school books, but then instantly paid it off the same night. I actually forget that I have it all the time. I also put my limit to 500 even though they offered me more.

I met with my boss after the webinar and he actually seems pro at it. I'm a fast learner so hopefully that aids in acting like I know what I am doing. Fake it till you make it right!!!