Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #1  

Default Has anyone noticed...?

I have depression but I am not on medication because I can't find one that works(Ive been trying for years). These days I have been trying for natural remedies. I've been researching omega 3's and plan to eat more of those. Unfortunately the high does I feel I need will interfere with low calorie goals. In the past I lost weight with a low fat diet and I know this same diet is impossible if I add the fat(I regained my weight. However I plan to build myself a treadmill walking desk and walk all day( I work at home) and this should help a lot.

Anyway according to my research eating foods with a high glycaemic index is horrible for depression because blood sugar spikes affect your serotonin adversely. I am a sugar addict and have yet to bring myself to stop eating sugar again. However I think stopping sugar for reasons other then weight loss( overall health reasons) would lead to keeping the weight off and hopefully, feeling better emotionally.

Maybe what I am looking for is motivation. I am wondering if anyone has noticed feeling better emotionally since eating only low GI foods, or eliminating the refined sugar.
shootingstar67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Ive suffered through bouts of depression. I'm on medication now and I feel fantastic. Before I finally went to talk to a therapist (this time) I read up on Sam-e and sarted taking it http://www.sam-e.com/about .....it might be something to check out if you haven't already.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #3  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

I haven't been diagnosed with depression, but do have pretty serious SAD during the winter months- and my diet absolutely makes a huge difference in how I feel. Sugar and simple carbs= quick fix, but the more sugar/junk I eat, the WORSE I feel later and the cravings get so intense.

When I stick to high protein, high fiber.. Etc.. I feel 100% better. It's o hard the first three days or so because of the cravings- but after that it's almost unreal how much better my outlook on life is.
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #4  
Taking it 1lb at a time!

S/C/G: 291/Ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Ive never been officially diagnosed with depression. I dont think I ever had an "official" medical depression-it was more like a self inflicted depression. Not eating right, gaining weight, aches and pains and feeling overly mad at myself for letting it get that bad paired with financial issues spiraled into depression.

My family has a history of diabetes, and with me being over weight I have a high risk. I used to feel really weird if I ate to much of the wrong types of food. I have noticed though with me being on a healthier diet with more protein, fiber and over all healthier foods my body feels and functions much better. Cutting out excessive sugar, fatty foods, and fast food I don't get the sluggish sickly feeling anymore. When I would get sick like that, it wouldn't pass in like 30min or so-no it would last all night. Then I wouldn't sleep good and feel bleh the whole next day.

So to answer your question, yes I have noticed a huge difference in my health which then improved my mood by changing my diet.
CocoTruffles is offline   Reply With Quote